Photo
- - - - -

So a CB hasn't been drafted first overall, fine...

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#31 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:57 AM

I can't find a reason not to draft the kid.

What a size and speed combination!! Great skill set.

He also can return punts and kick offs, getting even more value out of him.

It would mean we'd be passing up on an impact player at the defensive tackle position. I know your post was to dismiss the value of the best dt in this draft....but that could end up being a mistake. Doesn't matter how good our backend is, if the quarterbacks still have a pocket to step up in.

#32 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • -24,949 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

You going to pay a CB Quarterback money? Next, you don't draft a CB high till you have a pass rush, and we don't have one. Fix the line, Fix QB then worry about DB's

you going to pay a safe DT pick first overall money? its all relative + I'm not paying the bills.

#33 Highlandfire

Highlandfire

There can be only one.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,319 posts

BPA, Need>Biggest Need

BPA > Biggest need, when you have a playoff caliber team, we don't. Biggest need > than BPA when you don't have a QB or good lines.

#34 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,881 posts

Without a pass rush he won't be shutting down anything. And there are other guys we can use on special teams so we don't need him. Sure he would help the team but you don't worry about plugging a small leak when you have much larger ones already. You plug the biggest one first and work down in order of priority.

Defensive line wasnt the biggest problem last year. Our DE is solid we can pick up a DT in Free Agency. As far as other players helping ST's that hasnt worked so far. We can fix 2 phases of the game with one pick. PP has been the best player so far in the draft. With him and Gamble and the rest of the secondary QB's wont have open receivers to throw too.

Edited by Squirrel, 04 March 2011 - 12:04 PM.

#35 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,001 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

My philosophy is you build from the inside out.

Games are won and lost at the Line of Scrimmage.

#36 Highlandfire

Highlandfire

There can be only one.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,319 posts

you going to pay a safe DT pick first overall money? its all relative + I'm not paying the bills.

Nope, too many offers will be there to trade down and we need to take one of them.

#37 The Saltman

The Saltman

• Moderators
  • -24,949 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

BPA > Biggest need, when you have a playoff caliber team, we don't. Biggest need > than BPA when you don't have a QB or good lines.

did you just come up with that today?

#38 The Saltman

The Saltman

• Moderators
  • -24,949 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Nope, too many offers will be there to trade down and we need to take one of them.

Hey im fine with trading down. I never said that in any of my posts on this thread.

#39 The Saltman

The Saltman

• Moderators
  • -24,949 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:00 PM

BTW I said BPA+NEED not just BPA

#40 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,048 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

Didn't Jones go for 100+ and a TD with those 3 catches?

Jones is defintely a stud. I don't know if Peterson had him 1 on 1 on those catches either. Unless they are locked up in man all day it is hard to know who blew the coverage.

#41 The Saltman

The Saltman

• Moderators
  • -24,949 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

Im just arguing my point. I highly doubt we draft peterson and I really really highly doubt this thread will change any of that.

#42 Swarly

Swarly

MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

• HUDDLER
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:02 PM

I don't get how other people don't understand that filling a need with someone who isn't very good doesn't actually fill that need.

well said

and by the way I'll take a cornerback that forces teams to throw away from him any day. still don't understand why teams refusing to throw at a corner is a bad thing...

#43 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 17,048 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:03 PM

Defensive line was the biggest problem last year. Our DE is solid we can pick up a DT in Free Agency. As far as other players helping ST's that hasnt worked so far. We can fix 2 phases of the game with one pick. PP has been the best player so far in the draft. With him and Gamble and the rest of the secondary QB's wont have open receivers to throw too.

While I don't totally agree, you make some good points.:)

#44 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:13 PM

I agree Salty. People say CBs don't have as big an impact. Look at the Superbowl. Before Woodson and Shields got hurt, the Steelers had a hard time passing. Once Woodson went down, Ben kept throwing at whoever the CB was who replaced him.

CBs do need a pass rush, that can't be argued. But if a WR gets open 2 seconds after the ball is snapped doesn't matter how good the dline is. The dline needs a decent CB just as much as a CB needs a good pass rush.

And IMO the whole "you can just throw away from him" isn't a good argument. You can just run away from a DT. You can just double team a WR. Having a CB who can take away a team's #1 WR is a huge deal that completely changes their gameplan.

Edit: I personally don't have a preference in the draft. Just don't like the whole argument against taking a CB.

Edited by chef17, 04 March 2011 - 04:38 PM.

#45 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,881 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:14 PM

My philosophy is you build from the inside out.

Games are won and lost at the Line of Scrimmage.

I am to but honestly DT's are dime a dozen right now. If we needed a DE or OT I would be all for it. But we are set in those positions. QB is biggest need but I dont believe in drafting a QB with the first round pick unless it is a automatic homerun. Which this year doesnt have one. WR we dont have a need and BPA isnt that high. Same with Linebacker corp no big names this year. So the only thing left is CB and it is BPA. We could have one of the best secondaries in the NFL by picking up PP. Our Linebacking corp is great when healthy so we could have the best back 7 defense. Grab a DT in the 3rd round and pick up some in Free agency and the defense would be set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com