Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tarheelpride

What the Conservatives call wasteful spending within the stimulus

38 posts in this topic

reagan was great as long as you weren't black, gay, sick, lived in an inner city, or poor.

oh yeah or in south america

or on the wrong side of whatever the stars told him to do

or a government employee doing something but making bombs

2. A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.

How is this going to "create" any jobs?

Before you answer that films create jobs, have you seen a shortage of films being created?

because i know a lot about this i will give both sides of this argument.

on one hand, making film is incredibly expensive. for a completed film, it costs about 15,000 dollars a minute in film alone. this measure is intended to do things. one is to defray the costs for new and upcoming film makers. the cheaper it is to make a movie, the more you'll have, the more people you'll have working. on the other, this is intended to give even more incentive to film within the states, and that helps cities that offer massive subsidies to production houses to film there, like atlanta. if you've never been involved in a major motion picture, i assure you that it involves the employment of THOUSANDS of people, generally indigenous to the city. Filming a major motion picture is a massive undertaking, and it pumps money into every single sector of a city.

For example, when We Are Marshall was filmed in Atlanta, it injected around 45 million in liquidity into the city. The biggest recipients were day laborers for the non union work, restaurants and bars (film people drink a lot), actors, carpenters, and the lighting and rigging outfit out of lawrenceville.

on the other hand ive heard this is just a handout to kodak since within ten years digital film is going to be just as good and will destroy the industry.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

"Conservatives" (there is only one conservative in Washington, the rest are hypocrites) are just using this as a effort to rebuild their sh*tty image. Too bad for them its backfiring.

Aint that the god damn truth. That's like calling a democrat a fuging liberal! fugers are for anything BUT liberty!

All of the money given to the arts and film industry will just eventually end up being used to purchase illegal drugs, thereby renewing the federal government's mandate to continue it's "wag the dog" war on drugs.

All of the money given to the arts and film industry will just eventually end up being used to purchase illegal drugs, thereby renewing the federal government's mandate to continue it's "wag the dog" war on drugs.

ahem, I don't do drugs.

I just drink.

all the time

oh god i miss her

:cryin:

ahem, I don't do drugs.

I just drink.

all the time

oh god i miss her

:cryin:

stimulating!!!

No anger at all, just stating the facts. Pubs do not govern effectively.

youre an ignorant human being.

Aint that the god damn truth. That's like calling a democrat a f*cking liberal! f*ckers are for anything BUT liberty!

another brainwashed sheep...

For example, when We Are Marshall was filmed in Atlanta, it injected around 45 million in liquidity into the city. The biggest recipients were day laborers for the non union work, restaurants and bars (film people drink a lot), actors, carpenters, and the lighting and rigging outfit out of lawrenceville.

No doubt that something like that can help a local economy. I guess my question would be...how long after the film is done being made do those jobs or the economic benefits last? In my book, a temporary input of $$ into an area< something that may be more long lasting.