55 replies to this topic

#16 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

If I had to say something 'douchery' about K, it would be simple...

Montross left bleeding on the court

Felton left bleeding on the court

Hansbrough left bleeding on the court

When asked about dirty play K claims "we don't play that way"

Let's not forget when it all started, with Laettner stomping that kid in the infamous Kentucky game

#17 GritsRgreat

GritsRgreat

Banned

• Banned
  • 9,101 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

^^ you mean the greatest college basketball game ever played?

#18 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

Let's not forget when it all started, with Laettner stomping that kid in the infamous Kentucky game

I thought only UK fans cried about that, I guess heels fans do to.:D

#19 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

I thought only UK fans cried about that, I guess heels fans do to.:D

I don't care if it were dook or not (I hate Kentucky too), it was intentional, it was wrong, and he should have been ejected from the game and not available for that shot.

#20 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

Wow that is a first, Duke has a thug problem. I take it back this is the dumbest statement I have ever heard on this board.

What, you don't like it so it's a dumb statement? You do like to be an ass, don't you? How about him throwing the ball at Joe Wolf's head, or stomping the UK kid? That's all class... It's ok, you can deny, deny, deny... We all saw it... Maybe you should post some stats about how forearms and shoeprints boost Duke's chances of winning?

#21 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

What, you don't like it so it's a dumb statement? You do like to be an ass, don't you? How about him throwing the ball at Joe Wolf's head, or stomping the UK kid? That's all class... It's ok, you can deny, deny, deny... We all saw it... Maybe you should post some stats about how forearms and shoeprints boost Duke's chances of winning?

I am shedding a tear for you:cryin: In all seriousness Laettner should not have done what he did but that was almost 20 years ago, one incident doesn't define a program and it sure doesn't define a coach especially when he had nothing to do with what CL did. Let's get back on topic with something relevant to this ACC Individual Awards thread.

#22 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

I am shedding a tear for you:cryin: In all seriousness Laettner should not have done what he did but that was almost 20 years ago, one incident doesn't define a program and it sure doesn't define a coach especially when he had nothing to do with what CL did. Let's get back on topic with something relevant to this ACC Individual Awards thread.

Not sure what shedding a tear for me means, other than just being a smart ass... And how you're down to one incident, 20 years ago, I don't understand... I pointed out several, and IIRC in each of those games, Carolina came out the winner, which is what usually happens... So, keep your tears, your sarcasm and your mud slinging... And of course, after you don't like the way the discussion is going, deflect....... So, as you said, let's get back on topic...

#23 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

Not sure what shedding a tear for me means, other than just being a smart ass... And how you're down to one incident, 20 years ago, I don't understand... I pointed out several, and IIRC in each of those games, Carolina came out the winner, which is what usually happens... So, keep your tears, your sarcasm and your mud slinging... And of course, after you don't like the way the discussion is going, deflect....... So, as you said, let's get back on topic...

Dude you are crying about what Laettner did to someone on UK's team 20 years ago and then you are crying about physical play were somebody gets bloody. Like you said unc came out on top in those games so stop the bitching and whining, it gets exhausting. We can keep going on with this nonsense about Duke being a bunch of thugs and coach K being the puppet master making them that way or we can get real and get back on topic, your choice.

Maybe this will make you feel better show you Duke and coach K didn't plan to bloody up Montross.
"Sophomore center Eric Montross and Duke villain Christian Laettner butted heads and matched games in this tense, taut thriller"

Edited by bigcatdaddy, 08 March 2011 - 05:49 PM.

#24 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• HUDDLER
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

UNC owns dook

#25 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

Dude you are crying about what Laettner did to someone on UK's team 20 years ago and then you are crying about physical play were somebody gets bloody. Like you said unc came out on top in those games so stop the bitching and whining, it gets exhausting. We can keep going on with this nonsense about Duke being a bunch of thugs and coach K being the puppet master making them that way or we can get real and get back on topic, your choice.

Maybe this will make you feel better show you Duke and coach K didn't plan to bloody up Montross.
"Sophomore center Eric Montross and Duke villain Christian Laettner butted heads and matched games in this tense, taut thriller"

So I mention Laettner (and other Dukies which you ignore) in 4 or 5 posts over the course of an hour or so, and you're exhausted, yet, you spend the better part of 16 months talking about how it's going to be a long year for Carolina, how KM is trash (you recanted, so this isn't to rehash that), how Carolina is going to take years to recover (yes, that post was between you and Unicar), how we are inferrior, etc, etc, etc... It went on for over a year, and you want to tell me I'm exhausting you after half a dozen posts of a conversation? Sounds like someone can dish it out, but can't take much...

Here's the thing... I think you have the potential to hold lucid, well stated, even keeled discussions, but allow either ego or anger to get in the way... When someone says something you don't want to talk about (such as this discussion we've been having regarding some unnecessarily rough play), instead of making it a nice conversation, you attempt to belittle the poster (ie you didn't like my comment, so it's now the stupidest thing you've ever seen? seriously, wow), and change the conversation... Whether you mean to or not (and in all seriousness this isn't meant to be an attack), you tend to come across as a know it all, who can't handle a conflicting opinion that doesn't cast your team in a glow... It's annoying and makes you look more like an ass than someone capable of carrying a serious, well thought out, level headed discussion...

I don't know GRG from anyone else, but I get the feeling from his posts that if I said to him, 'hey, great player you guys have there in Smith, he really deserved POY and should be NPOY'... I believe he would say 'thanks!'... You come across as someone who would say 'I know, I told you'...

Not meaning this to be an attack... Hopefully it's constructive...

#26 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:44 AM

So I mention Laettner (and other Dukies which you ignore) in 4 or 5 posts over the course of an hour or so, and you're exhausted, yet, you spend the better part of 16 months talking about how it's going to be a long year for Carolina, how KM is trash (you recanted, so this isn't to rehash that), how Carolina is going to take years to recover (yes, that post was between you and Unicar), how we are inferrior, etc, etc, etc... It went on for over a year, and you want to tell me I'm exhausting you after half a dozen posts of a conversation? Sounds like someone can dish it out, but can't take much...
Here's the thing... I think you have the potential to hold lucid, well stated, even keeled discussions, but allow either ego or anger to get in the way... When someone says something you don't want to talk about (such as this discussion we've been having regarding some unnecessarily rough play), instead of making it a nice conversation, you attempt to belittle the poster (ie you didn't like my comment, so it's now the stupidest thing you've ever seen? seriously, wow), and change the conversation... Whether you mean to or not (and in all seriousness this isn't meant to be an attack), you tend to come across as a know it all, who can't handle a conflicting opinion that doesn't cast your team in a glow... It's annoying and makes you look more like an ass than someone capable of carrying a serious, well thought out, level headed discussion...

I don't know GRG from anyone else, but I get the feeling from his posts that if I said to him, 'hey, great player you guys have there in Smith, he really deserved POY and should be NPOY'... I believe he would say 'thanks!'... You come across as someone who would say 'I know, I told you'...

Not meaning this to be an attack... Hopefully it's constructive...

I did no such thing, come on man I congratulated you guys on a nice win. I have said all along unc had talent and you had talent last year, you just underachieved and I blamed a lot of that on coaching. I blamed the bad play earlier this year on coaching(roy throwing players under the bus, allowing HB to take terrible shots, not playing the better players on the team). I also said the talent is there so if HB starts being more aggressive and taking better shots he would be fine. I have also said unc was a top 20 team, I didn't think they were a top 10 team but a top 20 team. I said I liked Zeller and would take him over any big that Duke has, I also said he was the best player on your team. I was critical of Marshall because I saw him play in high school, my uncle lives in Dumfries and he took me to see Marshall play 3 or 4 times. He didn't impress me in high school, but he has flourished with all the talent that is around him at unc and I can admit I was wrong about that. I like to talk college basketball, but I like to have rational conversations that make sense and I am sorry if I offended you but I do not believe any rational person would say coach K is a thug or he recruits thugs to play for him. unc fans on this board would rather hurl insults or just say off the wall stuff instead of really talking basketball. You all want to get on me for throwing out stats but at least that is better then saying "well unc sucks", or "Duke owns unc", or "everybody that plays for unc is a thug". That is just talking $h!t and doesn't add anything to the discussion(bleys). And if you were to say 'hey, great player you guys have there in Smith, he really deserved POY and should be NPOY'... I would say thanks and leave it as that but you guys don't there is always some shot unc fans take, for example Tarpanther said this: "He is a good player. Like I said before, I really respect him and he has a great all around game. K's douchery hasn't really got to him while he has been there." Then you want to explain to me how coach K is a douche. You guys can never just congratulate something Duke does without throwing out an insult of some type, then you all try and make me the bad guy. I am pretty sure you would be hard pressed to find a post where I made fun of roy, called him a name, or insulted any of your players. I did question some of the things roy has done and questioned somethings certain unc players have done but never called them names or insulted them.

Edited by bigcatdaddy, 09 March 2011 - 10:05 AM.

#27 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

UNC owns dook

Since 2000, each has 2 titles!

Duke 17 wins against unc
unc 10 wins against Duke

Since 1991, unc has 3 titles and Duke has 4 titles!

Duke 27 wins against unc
unc 22 wins against Duke

I don't know what your definition of owning is but I would have to say that you are wrong!

#28 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

I did no such thing, come on man I congratulated you guys on a nice win. I have said all along unc had talent and you had talent last year, you just underachieved and I blamed a lot of that on coaching. I blamed the bad play earlier this year on coaching(roy throwing players under the bus, allowing HB to take terrible shots, not playing the better players on the team). I also said the talent is there so if HB starts being more aggressive and taking better shots he would be fine. I have also said unc was a top 20 team, I didn't think they were a top 10 team but a top 20 team. I said I liked Zeller and would take him over any big that Duke has, I also said he was the best player on your team. I was critical of Marshall because I saw him play in high school, my uncle lives in Dumfries and he took me to see Marshall play 3 or 4 times. He didn't impress me in high school, but he has flourished with all the talent that is around him at unc and I can admit I was wrong about that. I like to talk college basketball, but I like to have rational conversations that make sense and I am sorry if I offended you but I do not believe any rational person would say coach K is a thug or he recruits thugs to play for him. unc fans on this board would rather hurl insults or just say off the wall stuff instead of really talking basketball. You all want to get on me for throwing out stats but at least that is better then saying "well unc sucks", or "Duke owns unc", or "everybody that plays for unc is a thug". That is just talking $h!t and doesn't add anything to the discussion(bleys). And if you were to say 'hey, great player you guys have there in Smith, he really deserved POY and should be NPOY'... I would say thanks and leave it as that but you guys don't there is always some shot unc fans take, for example Tarpanther said this: "He is a good player. Like I said before, I really respect him and he has a great all around game. K's douchery hasn't really got to him while he has been there." Then you want to explain to me how coach K is a douche. You guys can never just congratulate something Duke does without throwing out an insult of some type, then you all try and make me the bad guy. I am pretty sure you would be hard pressed to find a post where I made fun of roy, called him a name, or insulted any of your players. I did question some of the things roy has done and questioned somethings certain unc players have done but never called them names or insulted them.

I understand what you're trying to do with the stats... I don't always think they're relevant, but I applaud your effort to support what you're thinking... I don't personally have too much of a problem with them, even though we both know stats don't always tell the whole story, or predict outcomes... But that's neither here or there...

But one thing that does make you out to be 'the bad guy', is name calling... We both know there have been some (I call them thugs) players of questionable judgement (and I'm not too big to think UNC hasn't had some as well), but instead of acknowledging the conversation and discussing it, I get the "this is the dumbest statement I have ever heard on this board" comment... Or how about the time you played grammar police with the 'guaranty' post? If you want to be taken more serious than the posters of "Duke pwns!" or "UNC rulez!", then stop stooping to that level of participation... Stop talking down to people who's posts you don't deem worthy...

Duke is a hell of a team, and have some excellent players... I've said it before, I'll say it again, my all time favorite ACC player was a Dukie... I'm not saying all dukies are thugs, I don't paint with a wide brush like that...

Anyway, just offering some advice... FWIW...

#29 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:14 AM

I understand what you're trying to do with the stats... I don't always think they're relevant, but I applaud your effort to support what you're thinking... I don't personally have too much of a problem with them, even though we both know stats don't always tell the whole story, or predict outcomes... But that's neither here or there...

But one thing that does make you out to be 'the bad guy', is name calling... We both know there have been some (I call them thugs) players of questionable judgement (and I'm not too big to think UNC hasn't had some as well), but instead of acknowledging the conversation and discussing it, I get the "this is the dumbest statement I have ever heard on this board" comment... Or how about the time you played grammar police with the 'guaranty' post? If you want to be taken more serious than the posters of "Duke pwns!" or "UNC rulez!", then stop stooping to that level of participation... Stop talking down to people who's posts you don't deem worthy...

Duke is a hell of a team, and have some excellent players... I've said it before, I'll say it again, my all time favorite ACC player was a Dukie... I'm not saying all dukies are thugs, I don't paint with a wide brush like that...

Anyway, just offering some advice... FWIW...

Please don't lecture me on how to post on a forum, and FWIW I do acknowledge the conversation and try to discuss it but it always leads to a unc fan making a not so intelligent statement. I am telling you hurling insults about Duke or unc is not adding to the conversation. As far as stooping to their level, I am going to respond and call someone out if they throw out insults about the coach I respect and the players that play for my team. There are very few unc fans on here that can make a rational statement about college basketball and that is what is frustrating, even you are trying to say that I called unc a terrible team and trashed them, and that is completely untrue. I try and look at every team with an objective eye, even with my own team but it seems to be too hard for the unc fans on this board.

Grammar police? I let a lot of that stuff go but "guaranty" how can you have a logical discussion with somebody like that? How about instead of trying to call me out for that you call out your tar heel buddies that bring up off the wall stuff like "Kobe came out and said he would have picked UNC over dook...so we'll take him on our team" or "UNC out numbered dook players in the playoffs last year.. UNC +1 dook -0" or "Did you see the whole sports science thing to show how close you almost lost to Butler in that game?" What does this have to do with anything, plus it doesn't make sense and that is where the frustration comes from. None of that means anything to the thread that it is in or really means anything period. Like I said I would like to have rational discussions with rational people about college basketball, but it seems to always turn into bashing Duke or Duke fans.

But thanks for the kind words about Duke, I feel like if Singler can find his shot again we could be a dangerous team but the way he is playing right now we don't have the fire power to play with most top 10 teams.

#30 RWatson43

RWatson43

"Use the Schwartz"

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

As a Duke fan, I find it very hard to find UNC fans that Can have a rational conversation about the rivalry, other acc teams, with out putting UNC at the top of the list unless they are just terrible that year. I also here the well he is a good player but not near as good as this heel or that heel, or as provided above. I not saying all un fans are this way, but it is rare to find one. No one owns either team in this rivalry unless you back years before K was at Duke. I still don't understand why unc fans don't give Coach K the respect and credit he deserves. I know they never will, but all the duke fans I know give Dean Smith a lot of credit and respect. It is just annoying! God luck to te heels in both tourneys and I pray Duke wins them both. Let's at least keep it in the ACC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com