Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

Akhenaten's theoretical head

Posted Image

also:

His promotion of one deity has earned him the title of "The Heretic Pharaoh". While the pharaoh had been raised, like many other famous Egyptian pharaohs, to worship Amun, five years after he took the throne he proceeded to make several important changes. The chosen deity of Akhenaton's worship was Aten, the Sun god.

#137 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:13 PM

The Drake equation
stolen from wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia..../Drake_equation

The Drake equation states that:
Posted Image
where:
N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible;
and
R* = the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy
f
p = the fraction of those stars that have planets
n
e = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fℓ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
f
c = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L
= the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Some computations of the Drake equation, given different assumptions:
Current estimates (see below):
R* = 7/year, fp = 0.5, ne = 2, fl = 0.33, fi = 0.01, fc = 0.01, and L = 10,000 years
N = 7 × 0.5 × 2 × 0.33 × 0.01 × 0.01 × 10,000 = 2.31 (so two communicative civilizations exist in our galaxy at any given time, on average, plus two hundred more that are not trying to communicate).

But a pessimist might equally well believe that suitable planets are rare, life seldom becomes intelligent, and intelligent civilizations do not last very long:
R* = 10/year, fp = 0.5, ne = 0.01, fl = 0.13, fi = 0.001, fc = 0.01, and L = 1000 years
N = 10 × 0.5 × 0.01 × 0.13 × 0.001 × 0.01 × 1000 = 0.000065 (we are almost surely alone in our galaxy).

Alternatively, making some more optimistic assumptions, assuming that planets are common, life always arises when planets are favorable, 10% of civilizations become willing and able to communicate, and then spread through their local star systems for 100,000 years (a very short period in geologic time):
R* = 20/year, fp = 0.5, ne = 2, fl = 1, fi = 0.1, fc = 0.1, and L = 100,000 years
N
= 20 × 0.5 × 2 × 1 × 0.1 × 0.1 × 100,000 = 20,000 (there's quite a few civilizations, although the closest one would still be about 1500 light years away).

With all apologies to the UK gubmint, I call bullshit.

#138 Matt Moore

Matt Moore

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

but but but explain this!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

They are just from a small town in France :conehead:

#139 Darth Urious

Darth Urious

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:15 PM

Yes. The phaoroh had a genetic problem due to hierarchical inbreeding resulting in the mishapen head (happened with King Tut), the people tried to emulate the Phaoroh.

What about misshapen skulls found in other parts of the world? Are they emulating inbreeding defects also?

We are all the result of inbreeding to an exponential extent, yet most normal people back then and today don't have misshapen skulls...

#140 Matt Moore

Matt Moore

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

I equate the people that believe this stuff to neocreationists

#141 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • 25,016 posts
  • LocationAtlanta,GA

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

this is what I see

Head shape

As for the shape of Akhenaten's head, Dr. Braverman attributes this to a condition called craniosynostosis, in which sutures, the fibrous joints of the head, fuse at an early age, and interfere with the process of skull formation. The specific condition, called a sagittal suture, is dominantly inherited. Dr. Braverman says he observed this abnormality in the king's daughters as well as in Queen Hatshepsut, daughter of Tuthmosis I, founder of Akhenaten's paternal line, and in King Tut, who ended this line.

Sutures normally expand as the brain expands and typically do not fuse until the age of 25 to 30. "At first, I wondered whether they bound the heads of infants to get this effect," says Dr. Braverman, "but there is no mention of this in Egyptian literature." The mummies could also be tested for the presence of three genes known to be responsible for most of the craniosynostosis syndromes.

Dr. Braverman developed a course that is now required at Yale and more than a dozen medical schools to help medical students hone their observational skills. They observe paintings at an art museum for a fixed amount of time, and then describe what they've seen afterwards. A controlled study concluded that the technique improves the students' power of observation.

http://www.umm.edu/n...deformities.htm

#142 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:21 PM

Not asking for proof, just illustrating that given the vastness of space and the infinite nature of time, it's unlikely that we will meet aliens.

Believe me, I would love to find other life in the Universe, or for other life to find us. And for a long, long time I believed all the Alien stories. But then one day I was standing on the toilet to hang a clock, slipped on the porcelain and banged my head on the sink and that mathmatic rationalization came to me.

I also came up with an idea for three pieces of lighted tubing arranged in a Y-shape. But I thought that idea sucked and threw it away.

i agree with all that. especially the whole Y-shaped tube. nothing good can come from anything like that.

#143 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,343 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:23 PM

why do we assume that aliens would have misshapen skulls, or even skulls atoll?homophone just to annoy slj

#144 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

What about misshapen skulls found in other parts of the world? Are they emulating inbreeding defects also?

We are all the result of inbreeding to an exponential extent, yet most normal people back then and today don't have misshapen skulls...

We all got the same genes, don't we?

I assume you're joking, though.

• If aliens were living here as a ruling class, why leave?
  • Arguably, if they were here, they'd be here to colonize. And the main reason to colonize is resources. But they didn't take our resources.
  • If they were advanced enough to make it to Earth, and rule over it's people why would they have humans building shiz out of sand, clay and dirt? I mean wouldn't they be thinking, "Man, sleeping in this stone temple blows. Shiz, I got a bean-bag chair back on the Mothership."
  • Wouldn't a few of the ruling class aliens have died? And wouldn't their greatful worshippers give them a grand burial, like a Temple or Pyramid, where we would have found the alien rulers?

Sorry, not buying that one.

#145 Darth Urious

Darth Urious

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:27 PM

why do we assume that aliens would have misshapen skulls, or even skulls atoll?homophone just to annoy slj

I just want to know if they wear Bikinis

#146 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

• HUDDLER
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

If they were so advanced, they probably wouldn't need to get close enough to Earth for us to spot them, in order to study us. And if they did go to the trouble to come all the way out here, even entering the atmosphere, don't you think they'd stop in and say hi...or kill us all?

Not necessarily.

People who are Nature Observers TYPICALLY do not disturb the animals they are watching in the wild. In fact, they'll often camouflage themselves in ways that the animals would not detect them. The reasons are two fold. 1. People want to see the animals acting "natural" without outside stimulus, and 2. People don't want to risk being killed by creatures capable of killing them.

Now, there are exceptions to this, but by and large, a pure biologist isn't going to walk up to a giraffe and say "hi".

If we are on the same scale to an alien, as say, a lion is to a human, who's to say what they will or will not choose as a method of interaction?

And any species that's crossed the fuggin Universe to visit or research us, (i.e. has the ability to travel at warp speed, and correctly calculate the solar system's movement within the galaxy and the planet's movement within the solar system) ain't crashin' his damned space ship. I'd wager a large sum of money on that.

While it sounds unlikely, we can't make assumptions of the possibilty of this happening because of the wide array of unknown factors. Perhaps their technology is reliable for travel in a vacuum, but in an atmosphere there are problems? Perhaps they had a malfunction? Our airline industry is the BEST in the world, and we still have accidents.

#147 Matt Moore

Matt Moore

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

If there was ever a "fake issue" or "distraction" in the political world today

this would be it

#148 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

Not necessarily.

People who are Nature Observers TYPICALLY do not disturb the animals they are watching in the wild. In fact, they'll often camouflage themselves in ways that the animals would not detect them. The reasons are two fold. 1. People want to see the animals acting "natural" without outside stimulus, and 2. People don't want to risk being killed by creatures capable of killing them.

Now, there are exceptions to this, but by and large, a pure biologist isn't going to walk up to a giraffe and say "hi".

If we are on the same scale to an alien, as say, a lion is to a human, who's to say what they will or will not choose as a method of interaction?

Absolutely agree. But again, I think if they were purely studying us they'de have better methods of concealment than face-paint and staying down wind of us. If they were just here to study, we'd have no evidence of them at all.

While it sounds unlikely, we can't make assumptions of the possibilty of this happening because of the wide array of unknown factors. Perhaps their technology is reliable for travel in a vacuum, but in an atmosphere there are problems? Perhaps they had a malfunction? Our airline industry is the BEST in the world, and we still have accidents.

Our Airline Industry is about to start charging us for reclining seats (not joking) to drum up extra revenue because their business model is so bad. So I wouldn't bring them up as a comparison to an advanced space-going species.

#149 Darth Urious

Darth Urious

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:38 PM

If there was ever a "fake issue" or "distraction" in the political world today

this would be it

not really... It is far too intellectual of an issue when things like Charlie Sheen will suffice...

#150 Matt Moore

Matt Moore

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

not really... It is far too intellectual of an issue when things like Charlie Sheen will suffice...

do you watch ancient aliens on the history channel or whatever?

don't think that you aren't marketed to as well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com