Photo
- - - - -

Gregg withdraws from consideration for Commerce Secretary

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

Says he and Obama have too many differences after all:

Senator Gregg Statement on His Withdrawal for Consideration of U.S. Commerce Secretary

Sen. Gregg stated, “I want to thank the President for nominating me to serve in his Cabinet as Secretary of Commerce. This was a great honor, and I had felt that I could bring some views and ideas that would assist him in governing during this difficult time. I especially admire his willingness to reach across the aisle.

“However, it has become apparent during this process that this will not work for me as I have found that on issues such as the stimulus package and the Census there are irresolvable conflicts for me. Prior to accepting this post, we had discussed these and other potential differences, but unfortunately we did not adequately focus on these concerns. We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy.

“Obviously the President requires a team that is fully supportive of all his initiatives.

“I greatly admire President Obama and know our country will benefit from his leadership, but at this time I must withdraw my name from consideration for this position.

“As we move forward, I expect there will be many issues and initiatives where I can and will work to assure the success of the President’s proposals. This will certainly be a goal of mine.

“Kathy and I also want to specifically thank Governor Lynch and Bonnie Newman for their friendship and assistance during this period. In addition we wish to thank all the people, especially in New Hampshire, who have been so kind and generous in their supportive comments.

“As a further matter of clarification, nothing about the vetting process played any role in this decision. I will continue to represent the people of New Hampshire in the United States Senate.”

#2 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:29 PM

Pussy

#3 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

Obviously that's not very good news for Obama in particular or the country in general, especially at a time like this.

But I have to say, I find that to be a bit refreshing. Not many people would be that firm in their convictions to turn down a position of that stature.

#4 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:06 PM

Can you blame him?

#5 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

The pubs would have eaten him alive as a traitor, smart politically motivated choice.

So much for bipartisan.

#6 Panthers_Lover

Panthers_Lover

• HUDDLER
  • 4,082 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

The pubs would have eaten him alive as a traitor, smart politically motivated choice.

So much for bipartisan.

They hadn't so far ... grasping a bit, aren't you?

#7 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,057 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:21 PM

good, enough of this bipartisan poo

#8 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,057 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

reminder that gregg is resigning because obama was going to make him include poor people in the next census

#9 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:15 PM

Glad to see he bowed out gracefully and professionally.

#10 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,346 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:11 AM

He knew all about the stimulus and the census before being offered the position. He would have served the Republicans much better working from inside the Administration, and he would have had another Republican take his position anyways.

Grandstanding over getting things done FTW.

#11 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_Let's Go Royals!_

• HUDDLER
  • 17,343 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:07 AM

spin

#12 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:55 AM

Cooking there is no evidence of that at all. Doesn't seem to be any hostility from either side, well except for a few message board posters and political pundits, but thats to be expected.

#13 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:31 AM

Look at how the pubs attacked one of their own in McCain for just having his name on a bill with Kennedy. If this guy would have served in a dem administration it would be his last office held as a republican. The pubs have absolutely no interest in being bipartisan.

#14 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

Look at how the pubs attacked one of their own in McCain for just having his name on a bill with Kennedy. If this guy would have served in a dem administration it would be his last office held as a republican. The pubs have absolutely no interest in being bipartisan.

COUGH Joe Lieberman COUGH

#15 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:33 AM

wow

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com