Yea...ppl pay money to see their team lose so they can leave early! :rolleyes:

#137 CarolinaCatBrigade

CarolinaCatBrigade

She likes my Newton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

who said he had a bad pro day.even Mayock liked the way he improved and now said he believes him and Gabbert should be ranked the same.

He had a 52% Completion Percentage at the combine.

His Pro Day was considered "sub standard" by others than Mayock. 50 of 60 passes in a setting that works towards your advantage could of been better. Sam Bradford went 49 of 50. However I don't believe Newton or Gabbert are on the same potential scale as Bradford. I honestly don't believe there is a QB in this draft worth the #1 overall pick, much less top 5. But where there is a need at a position, there is always someone willing to reach.

#138 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,674 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

Yea...ppl pay money to see their team lose so they can leave early! :rolleyes:

they do, have you seen the stands at BOA after halftime?

#139 ElkinPanthersFan

ElkinPanthersFan

Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

Not everyone is racist. But everyone has stereotypes. To believe you are not stereotypical is a lie. It's very common in each individual. Stereotypes are everywhere. It's like applying for a job and they ask the question "do you recall telling a lie within the past year?" and if you answer "no" then you are lying. I myself am just openly telling you my stereotypes. Do I believe stereotypes matter? No. Success has come from at every level and at every job from various races.

But as far as the "head and shoulders above the competition" thing. I don't see anything in Cam Newton that shows me he won't be a project that will take 2-3 years.

Well, I don't believe anybody this year is head of shoulders above anyone. Its the first year in a couple years that the #1 is truly wide open. However, off the comments you made about stereotyping, I went with your own stereotype that if someone was head and shoulders above you might not draft them cause you'd look at past statistics based on a player of that race rather than what they have done and bring to the table.

#140 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

He had a 52% Completion Percentage at the combine.

His Pro Day was considered "sub standard" by others than Mayock. 50 of 60 passes in a setting that works towards your advantage could of been better. Sam Bradford went 49 of 50. However I don't believe Newton or Gabbert are on the same potential scale as Bradford. I honestly don't believe there is a QB in this draft worth the #1 overall pick, much less top 5. But where there is a need at a position, there is always someone willing to reach.

That combine number is misleading.

#141 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,321 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:07 PM

if you continue to turn a blind eye to peoples ignorant comments and ban people who challenge them youre gonna bring the wrong kind of attention and animosity to Zods real world business. A vbulletin control panel isnt the answer. This board is already being monitored. Pissing off psl holders and paying fans of the Panthers probably isnt a smart move. Were all here to express opinions, but banning one group and shielding another isnt gonna end well. not to mention you arent partial at all on this topic.

Is that supposed to be some kind of threat?

Who exactly do you think is "monitoring" this board that's going to "bring the wrong kind of attention to Zod's business"?

#142 YourMomsLover

YourMomsLover

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,881 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:08 PM

they do, have you seen the stands at BOA after halftime?

yes, but their intention is to see their team win! Im talking about all this "against winning" bullpoo KT likes to mention. :cheers2:

And we all know who "those against winning" people are!

Edited by YourMomsLover, 09 March 2011 - 06:23 PM.

#143 CarolinaCatBrigade

CarolinaCatBrigade

She likes my Newton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:10 PM

Well, I don't believe anybody this year is head of shoulders above anyone. Its the first year in a couple years that the #1 is truly wide open. However, off the comments you made about stereotyping, I went with your own stereotype that if someone was head and shoulders above you might not draft them cause you'd look at past statistics based on a player of that race rather than what they have done and bring to the table.

I never said that, you are reading to far into a basic stereotype. I said it before and I will say it again. I would have loved to have Michael Vick a few years ago. I would choose Newton over Gabbert. I could care less about race, but off of common stereotypes that is an opinion I carry. I also stated I wouldn't want a white RB or a white WR (unless slot). Common stereotypes. I'm not racist and I don't discriminate. When it comes to football I have opinions, certainly, everyone does. I would go nuts if McNabb signed with Carolina, just as much so if Palmer was signed. If we pick Newton I will support him fully and buy his jersey and be excited about the flexibility he would bring with his freakish athleticism. Do I want him? No. Is it because he's black? No. I could give you a large list why I don't want Newton, or any QB in this draft for that matter. Race has nothing to do with it.

Edit:
And one more thing, the main reason I have stereotypes against athletic QB's is because they don't last long in the NFL, they take to many hits trying to make plays with their feet. That goes for Gabbert too.

Edited by CarolinaCatBrigade, 09 March 2011 - 06:15 PM.

#144 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,573 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

I dont think all whites are racist. I do think the team and fanbase have been biased overall but are showing growth and acceptance for change which is a good thing. I dont think everyone who didnt want Vick or Cam is racist. Just the ones who trash their character to rationalize their hate or play them as all the same are.

actually, it APPEARS that you do.. you call majority of white people out for being racist without any evidence as such. you make wild assumptions about members by claiming they are trashing a players character to rationalize their hate..

you do the former to rationalize the latter.. with no evidence of anything..

in regard to keeping this civil.. I'm simply pointing this stuff out as an attempt to explain where a lot of people feel offended and the rabbit hole of a discussion that occurs when you call them racist based on an assumption.

if you continue to turn a blind eye to peoples ignorant comments and ban people who challenge them youre gonna bring the wrong kind of attention and animosity to Zods real world business. A vbulletin control panel isnt the answer. This board is already being monitored. Pissing off psl holders and paying fans of the Panthers probably isnt a smart move. Were all here to express opinions, but banning one group and shielding another isnt gonna end well. not to mention you arent partial at all on this topic.

what is ironic though is this applies to you just as much as anyone.

Edited by bleys, 09 March 2011 - 06:24 PM.

#145 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,382 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

People who say they are colorblind are the first to see someones color.

#146 Jangler

Jangler

event horizon of chaos

• HUDDLER
  • 48,061 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

Were there many Panthers fans that didn't like Rodney Peete bc he was black?

That was when America was innocent.

#147 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:26 PM

as a white man living in atlanta

#148 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 16,291 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

Is it possible to have a sensible and honest discussion on Cam Newton and how his selection relates to race? Can we discuss the realities of it in a civil manner without negativity?

I'll start:

- Are there white folks who do not want Cam mainly because he is a black QB? Yep.

- Are there black folks who do want Cam mainly because he is a black QB? Yep

- Do these two statements describe the majority of Panthers fans? Nope, not even close.

- Is it wrong for a black Panthers fan to hope for a black QB mainly because of his color? No, I don't think so. I think its natural for you to pull for someone you more closely identify yourself with to succeed in an area that has been a challenge historically. If I am being honest, I pull for Steve Nash mainly because I relate to Steve Nash and like to see him excel in a position where people who look like me typically do not. While this is racist by definition, its not exclusionary in that I still pull for plenty of black athletes as well. I do not exclude other players because of their race.

- Is it wrong to pretend to know what is in the heart of your fellow huddlers and accuse them of racism despite having no evidence as such? Absolutely, its plain wrong and immature. Once the race card is thrown out, all conversation ends and defensive posturing begins. Its intellectual tripe.

There are some thoughts of mine. Anyone want to comment?

Remember, lets keep this honest and civil. Can we do it?

This may be the single greatest post in the history of the huddle. May I request to have it stickied? It pretty much sums up all the problems this board has been having in regards to the "black QB" debate.

Now time to revert to immaturity. Zod...

You said "black panthers fan..." :lol: I want Huey P. Newton to play QB.

#149 ammofan

ammofan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:31 PM

I don't give a crap about Cam's race. I want him here badly because he's exactly what we need...... A PLAYMAKER. Jimmy ain't gonna cut it next season.....we need to capitalize on our talent and get a guy who can get the ball to others and put some points up on the board.

#150 Jangler

Jangler

event horizon of chaos

• HUDDLER
  • 48,061 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:34 PM

People who say they are colorblind are the first to see someones color.

I hate when people say that. Color is the first thing you see, to say you don't see it is discounting that person. Judging that person because of their color is what is racist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com