Photo
- - - - -

Cam Newton Workout 3/16

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#49 pantherj

pantherj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:41 AM

Drafting Cam is a real possibilty. It's fun to talk about smokescreeens, smoke in your eyes, smoke up your ass, but we need to come to terms with the idea of Cam as our #1 pick. And not only that, but we'll probably have a losing season, and be in position to draft Luck. I think it's interesting that we might end up with both Cam and Luck in our QB stable. It's a possibility.

#50 Catalyst

Catalyst

HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:56 AM

If we drafted Cam and ended up with the 1st pick again we'd trade out and get a ton of picks from whatever team wants Luck.

That said, it won't happen. It's extremely rare for any team to pick 1st overall two years in a row.

#51 pantherj

pantherj

HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:20 AM

Yeah teams would offer us some amazing deals.

#52 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

Looked around and see the private workout and the trip to Charlotte, but not the dinner. As likely as not, if that happens it'll be just part of one of the other meetings, not a third meeting. There was word of a dinner with him after the Pro Day, but that was a mix-up. The Bills were the team that took him to dinner. Gantt said the Panthers would talk to him another time 9hence the workout and interview in Charlotte).

So no, that's not three meetings, but even if it were it wouldn't actually guarantee anything. As mentioned, these meetings could easily go badly. Or they could go well, but the team could just decide they like someone better.

Maybe it is Cam's to lose, but right now, that's an assumption. Still a lot of time between now and draft day.

And again, right now, it's just due diligence. "Smokescreens" don't really come into play until a decision is actually made.

Trust me, for anyone who knows how Marty Hurney operates, that decision isn't made yet, and it won't be until he's investigated all his options.

I would add that there is a lot more reason to have multiple "meetings" with Cam. Character issues (might take 2 meetings alone), football knowledge (where is he with his understanding of the position?), etc. Drafting a QB is not like drafting a DT. Does anyone think they are? And having the entire staff to watch him suggests that they are going to discuss Cam. He is in the thinking, but no decision has been made if they want everyone to come watch him. Did he think that was to carry him off the field on their shoulders, or to form a "Cam is great" tunnel?

Here is what it will come down to:

Hurney's decision. He stands on his record and he still thinks Clausen needs a fair chance. That could change, but I doubt it. However, if Rivera and staff are unified on Cam as the pick, we start negotiations with Newton. That does not mean we will draft him, we just want to see what his contract demands are. I say we offer his Dad $200K.

Now, once the numbers are on the table, Hurney is going to call Rivera in and say this:

Ron, I have a trade offer. Tennessee wants to give us the 8th, 39th, and 72nd (guess) picks this year and their first rounder next year for our pick. Washington has offered their first and second rounders this year and next year. Cincinnati wants to move up from #4 for a second rounder and a fourth. I projected the following:

Trade with Tennessee-we get Robert Quinn DE, a very good DT and a solid CB. first rounder in 2012.
Trade with Washington- we get a shot at Quinn or Julio Jones and a solid DT. We also get the Redskins first and second rounders in 2012.
Trade with Cincinnati-We get Peterson, Dareus, or Fairley and OL depth later

"We can get a deal done for a veteran QB and these first rounders in 2012 could be used to move up next season and grab a franchise QB if Clausen doesn't come around. A veteran like McNabb, Clausen, Moore, Pike, and maybe even a late rounder to groom on the PS. Cam is not helping us much in 2011, but these guys would help make our defense top notch. What do you say?"

Edited by MHS831, 11 March 2011 - 08:27 AM.

#53 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

I would add that there is a lot more reason to have multiple "meetings" with Cam. Character issues (might take 2 meetings alone), football knowledge (where is he with his understanding of the position?), etc.

This is a good point.

But I figured you would have seen some similar stuff get scheduled with fairley and dareus by this point

#54 KaseKlosed

KaseKlosed

@CMackMost

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

Panthers to evaluate Newton once again

FROM TRIBUNE WIRE SERVICES
Columbia Daily Tribune

Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Panthers, who own the first pick in April’s draft, have admitted he’s part of a group of players they’re considering with that pick.

Coach Ron Rivera said he also expects to have Newton come to Charlotte, N.C., to meet with team officials before the draft.

The interest is obvious, as Rivera talked at the combine about the need for a franchise quarterback.

The rest of their decision-makers will get a chance in a more intimate setting next week.

#55 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

Moderators

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:40 AM

umm when was the last time the panthers picked a player in the first round they had a private workout with? Doesnt prove anything.

#56 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

Will swing by the practice field to see what I can see...

#57 monstercat

monstercat

HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

umm when was the last time the panthers picked a player in the first round they had a private workout with? Doesnt prove anything.

When was the last time we had a brand new HC, the 1st overall pick, and an obvious QB need though? In the past, the Panthers have worked out players that they probably didn't really have a shot at, but now it's 100% their choice, so this is a whole different animal.

#58 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

Ron, I have a trade offer. Tennessee wants to give us the 8th, 39th, and 72nd (guess) picks this year and their first rounder next year for our pick. Washington has offered their first and second rounders this year and next year. Cincinnati wants to move up from #4 for a second rounder and a fourth. I projected the following:

Trade with Tennessee-we get Robert Quinn DE, a very good DT and a solid CB. first rounder in 2012.
Trade with Washington- we get a shot at Quinn or Julio Jones and a solid DT. We also get the Redskins first and second rounders in 2012.
Trade with Cincinnati-We get Peterson, Dareus, or Fairley and OL depth later

"We can get a deal done for a veteran QB and these first rounders in 2012 could be used to move up next season and grab a franchise QB if Clausen doesn't come around. A veteran like McNabb, Clausen, Moore, Pike, and maybe even a late rounder to groom on the PS. Cam is not helping us much in 2011, but these guys would help make our defense top notch. What do you say?"

if they are sold on the idea that cam newton is the guy they want going forward, trading out of the #1 spot would be a huge mistake, one htat they will likely regret for a long time.

look at all the teams that have made huge trades, passing up on impact players for multiple picks. how have they fared? did they get better or worse?

#59 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

I did find a story from back in January that PP met with the Panthers during the Senior Bowl

#60 Mother Grabber

Mother Grabber

Gettlemagic 2.0

HUDDLER

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:13 PM

I know you were making fun of people on here, but isn't smoke screen what we used to call the screen passes we ran with Smitty?

And the rest of the league figured it out after a couple of games.