Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mayor Bloomberg: "God was not with this plane the way he was with the other..."

40 posts in this topic

Posted

The other thing I wonder is if God wants us to live more like Christ, then why didn't he say so (or send Him down) at the beginning? In the Old Testament, people held slaves, had sex with their daughters, all kinds of groovy stuff, and God didn't seem to mind that as long as they were working for Him.

Then suddenly people are supposed to turn the other cheek, live in poverty like Christ, all that stuff - for an all powerful being, God seems to be stuck in a very human like time vs. decision loop.

Posted

So God want us to live unsafe and unhappy lives here?

character over comfort.

No, it's to make you focus more on Christ. So, that your joy and happiness will not be based on your circumstances but on the fact you have Christ with you.

Like the apostle Paul said, I have learned to be content whether in plenty or in want.

Posted

The other thing I wonder is if God wants us to live more like Christ, then why didn't he say so (or send Him down) at the beginning? In the Old Testament, people held slaves, had sex with their daughters, all kinds of groovy stuff, and God didn't seem to mind that as long as they were working for Him.

Then suddenly people are supposed to turn the other cheek, live in poverty like Christ, all that stuff - for an all powerful being, God seems to be stuck in a very human like time vs. decision loop.

He gave the Jews his law. Which can be summed up as, Love God with all your heart, mind, and soul. And love your neighbor as your self.

The Jews broke that law before Moses could even come down off the mountain with the 10 commandments. That was after witnessing all the plagues God brought on the Egyptians, the Red Sea, following a pillar of fire in the desert, and being feed manna from heaven. not to mention God showing his presents to them and letting them hear him speak. They witnessed and truly experienced God like no other people on earth before or since. Yet, they couldn't even wait 40 day in the desert while Moses was on the mountain with out turning from God and making an ideal.

Shows of miracles and power will not affect lasting change in the hearts of man. People will follow out of fear, or greed. (What can this God do for me.) But not genuine love and obedience. That takes time. That takes trust. That takes a relationship.

So, Gods grand plan is to take one man. A man who trusted God enough to leave his home and travel in the wilderness not knowing where he was going or why? A man who trusted God that he would be faithful to his word and give him a child in his old age. Even tho his wife was barren. A man who trusted God so much that he was willing to sacrifice his son when God asked him to.

Threw this man he built a nation. Threw that nation he built up a religion to follow and worship Him. Threw that religion he sent a Messiah. Threw that Messiah the sins of the world could be forgiven, and the relationship between mankind and God could be restored. Threw that restored relationship the hearts of man can be changed. To make us more like Christ.

Yes, all that takes time. It's taken thousands of years to get to were we are today. You said, "God seems to be stuck in a very human like time vs. decision loop." Maybe that's because He's dealing with humans who have a very important decision to make.

Posted

Joseph Smith?

Posted

What I find vexing is that god gave us a brain capable of powers deduction and reasoning yet expects us to throw all of it out the window to believe he exists. Pretty mean trick!

Posted

Seems to me there is a tremendous obsession with religion on this board recently. Most of it started by those who don't care for religion very much. Seems to be a very unhealthy obsession.

Posted

What I find vexing is that god gave us a brain capable of powers deduction and reasoning yet expects us to throw all of it out the window to believe he exists. Pretty mean trick!

Two things. One, can we lay off the word vexing? Thats so 2008.

Secondly, can you show me a passage in the bible where God says for us to throw our mental capacities out the window and become total zombies.

I will buy you lunch at your favorite spot. :piggy:

stwall said some great stuff earlier.

He even use to have this passage in his sig and it totally applies here.

Posted

One of the biggest half-truths out there is "God wants me to be happy." God wants you to have fulfilling life, but if all he wanted was for you to be happy, then you could, logically, do all sorts of evil things and justify them b/c "God wanted me to be happy."

Many people get stuck looking at the Old Testament Law from a purely religious standpoint, when it also needs to be looked at from a historical standpoint. The two books that deal only with Law, (Leviticus and Deutoronomy[i probably spelled that wrong] were set up to help a brand new, fledgling civilization function accordingly, and to set itself up for lasting survival in a very harsh world.

Posted

Two things. One, can we lay off the word vexing? Thats so 2008.

Secondly, can you show me a passage in the bible where God says for us to throw our mental capacities out the window and become total zombies.

I will buy you lunch at your favorite spot. :piggy:

stwall said some great stuff earlier.

He even use to have this passage in his sig and it totally applies here.

Thanks bro.

Do you mean 1 Corinthians 1:18

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

Posted

One of the biggest half-truths out there is "God wants me to be happy." God wants you to have fulfilling life, but if all he wanted was for you to be happy, then you could, logically, do all sorts of evil things and justify them b/c "God wanted me to be happy."

Many people get stuck looking at the Old Testament Law from a purely religious standpoint, when it also needs to be looked at from a historical standpoint. The two books that deal only with Law, (Leviticus and Deutoronomy[i probably spelled that wrong] were set up to help a brand new, fledgling civilization function accordingly, and to set itself up for lasting survival in a very harsh world.

The whole thing needs to be looked at that way. As books setup to rule Man. What better way to do it than take the elements of the older religions that worked, promise people a great afterlife even though they only suffer here, and that their leaders have God on their side?

Posted

The whole thing needs to be looked at that way. As books setup to rule Man.

It's a slippery thing to claim the "whole thing" needs to be looked at that way, because the entire second half is only about the fulfillment of the laws of the first, and as such, the ability to save yourself by following the medium of that fulfillment. Likewise, much of the first half (Old Testament) is merely a history. The only two books that deal with the "Law" are the ones I mentioned before.

What better way to do it than take the elements of the older religions that worked, promise people a great afterlife even though they only suffer here, and that their leaders have God on their side?

The wonderful thing about Christianity is that it did not come from older religions that worked, not in its broader sense. The base of Christianity is, of course, Judaism. And yes, some parts of Judaism stemmed from even more ancient religions. However, Judaism introduced a brand new concept into religion, that of monotheism. Judaism was the first monotheistic religion on Earth, and also the first to base its system on ethics, on the acceptance of people.

Now here's the interesting thing. After the first five books you have, like I said, a history of events, and what's important to note is the struggle people have in conforming to God's law. Many people point to the Bible and say, why would God sanction this, when many events in the Bible weren't sanctioned by God, and were instead made by men who were TRYING to find God's will, sometimes failing miserably. It's the growing pains that lead to a message of salvation.

Posted

Apparently God and the plane were set on autopilot that day.