You down with OP's P?

#33 Delhomeboy

Delhomeboy

Wage Slave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

No, no, you are not getting it. Judiasm and monoethism is not what I am talking about.

http://www.religious...g/chr_jcpa1.htm

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm

It's great that Judiasm changed from several gods to one, but it's still the same old same old. And Christianity based itself off of that.

What many of the first website's example are are that a syncretism, yes, it was necessary to ensure the survival of Christianity at its beginnings.

As for the other examples...and this is a personal conclusion I've come to after looking at Christianity from both perspectives...is that Christians and non-Christians alike seem to want to disjunction what shouldn't be disjunctioned. People looks at these parallels between Pagan and Judiaistic miracle-stories and say that they are proof of the Bible's falsehood, while I personally believe they are simply different incarnations of different perspectives. Who's to say that our God--Yahweh--did not appear to different peoples at different times? I know you're probably going to call me a loon for that idea, but it's what I think.

As for the second article...I mostly skimmed through it, but it was pretty clear about the writer's viewpoint on Christianity, and I'm not going to get into the same circular argument that's been raging for decades. There are articles this long that try and debunk Christianity, and there are articles this long that try to prove it, and I think both are off, in the end..

(On a side note, I did have a big problem with the second articles belief that "Egyptian sources are well-documented during this time etc. etc." This is false. The egyptians kept horrible documentation on just about everything...I mean, my God, even today we still have no idea how the pyramids were built. If the Egyptians documented so well you'd think they'd have scribbled that down somewhere. :cool: I also take issue with his pronouncement that "wandering in the desert for 40 did not happen...because there's no archaeological evidence." I think they writer forgets that the desert's a big place, especially when you have 4000 years of shifting sands involved. Hell evidence of the House of David was just recently discovered, and the House of David is almost 3000 years old, and not in the middle of a desert either.)

Christianity falls between these two extremes - we've had lots of scientific evidence that for example, the Earth is not the center of the universe or even unique to the galaxy in terms of it's ability to support life. We know that the Earth was not created in the explained time frame as described by the Bible. At the same time, we do know that locations mentioned in the Bible do or did exist (but not all). Christians either rationalize or trivialize this knowledge, or stick to it like a rabid dog depending on their need to have absolute "truth". They attempt to hamper further scientific knowledge because of it - Creationists are todays equivalent of the people that sought to silence Galileo and his fellow scientists for simply asking questions.

This is getting into an entirely different argument, which I simply don't have the expertise for. There's a lot of explanations for the six days Genesis theory, and for the non-existence of some places in the Bible.

The idea that a person can claim that half of the Bible is simply stories to guide an older civilization (while of course, the important things like parting the Red Sea and all that) are true, and that the second half of the book is somehow absolute in its correctness, is just a bit off kilter to me.

Please know that I don't think the Old Testament was a bunch of stories. I believe with all my heart the the red sea was parted, etc. What I was trying to say, was that as history progressed and these items were written down, they became tools for guiding the Ancient Jews...a Pre-A.D. version of "remember history or you're doomed to repeat it."

#34 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,705 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:39 PM

Who's to say that our God--Yahweh--did not appear to different peoples at different times? I know you're probably going to call me a loon for that idea, but it's what I think.

That's actually the most reasonable explanation for a God that has decided to make Himself aware to us that I can think of. Still a zillion gaps in logic....

#35 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

I think William Shatner said it best when he said "What does God...need...a starship...for?"

#36 Delhomeboy

Delhomeboy

Wage Slave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:18 PM

That's actually the most reasonable explanation for a God that has decided to make Himself aware to us that I can think of. Still a zillion gaps in logic....

Probably. But my point is, I think Christians...all religions for that matter, have alienated themselves from each other and from the world by becoming exactly that: religions. Forgetting their purpose, which is to serve a higher power. I mean, Christians and Muslims are usually antagonists, but they forget they serve the EXACT SAME GOD: Yahweh=Allah. They only difference is the contention over Jesus.

Astrology is another example. Christians laugh at the idea of people basing their lives on the way the planets are aligned, conveniently forgetting the THE ENTIRE REASON the wise men found Jesus was they noticed some celestial bodies starting to come together, aligning to appear as one big star that hung over Jesus.

#37 beach

beach

geaux!!

• HUDDLER
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:39 PM

If you are correct, then prayer is indeed useless.

I wouldn't say it is useless mentally and personally, but in the physical world, it is. I don't want to try to denigrate your beliefs, but that is simply what I think.

#38 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 21,705 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:47 PM

You down with OP's P?

Yeah, you know me.

#39 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, you know me.

Took you long enough. Tard.

#40 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 21,705 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:06 PM

That's "tard with OPP" to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.