Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Japan could be just a couple of hours away from a Nuclear meltdown.

53 posts in this topic

Posted

I would like to point out that 30 years ago it was the crazed dumb hippie liberals who pointed out this kind of thing as a possibility, and the conservatives that told them to shut up, make some clay pots, whatever.

And I am an advocate of nuclear power.

Posted

I would like to point out that 30 years ago it was the crazed dumb hippie liberals who pointed out this kind of thing as a possibility, and the conservatives that told them to shut up, make some clay pots, whatever.

And I am an advocate of nuclear power.

Thank you. Now go back to holding hands for unions with Michael Moore.

Posted

idk why they put these plants near places where people live. you'd think they'd be in the middle of nowhere although i guess that would make a commute to work difficult

Posted

Nuclear meltdown in Japan would be especially sad given history :(

(no, I'm not talking about Godzilla)

Posted

And yet France hasn't had a problem...

Posted

[5:48 p.m. ET, 7:48 a.m. Tokyo] A meltdown may be under way at one of Fukushima Daiichi's nuclear power reactors, an official with Japan's nuclear and industrial safety agency told CNN Sunday.

A meltdown is a catastrophic failure of the reactor core, with a potential for widespread radiation release. However, Toshiro Bannai, director of the agency's international affairs office, expressed confidence that efforts to control the crisis would prove successful.

Meanwhile, a second reactor at the same facility failed shortly after 5 a.m. Sunday, the Tokyo Electric Power Company said, according to TV Asahi. The power company said it was having difficulty cooling the reactor and may need to release radioactive steam in order to relieve pressure.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/12/japan-earthquake-live-blog-death-toll-rises-amid-widespread-destruction/

Posted

My father in law is very high up in GE Hitachi nuclear and has people at that plant. They are pumping sea water around the reactor to try to get it to cool down. As soon as he can he is leaving for Japan to help out. He is always over there working. Just glad he wasn't over there when it happened.

Posted

The reactor situation is scary. I pray they get it under control.

BP oil spill and nuclear reactors. Getting the energy to run the modern world is a very dicey thing.

Btw, US Navy has sent or is sending 10 vessels, including a carrier and several large deck amphibs. Thats a lot of helicopter lift capability, plus hospital beds and freshwater making capability.

Posted

[9:54 p.m. ET, 11:54 a.m. Tokyo] A meltdown may have occurred at at least one nuclear power reactor in Japan, the country's chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano, said Sunday.

He also said that authorities are concerned over the possibility of another meltdown at a second reactor.

"We do believe that there is a possibility that meltdown has occurred. It is inside the reactor. We can't see. However, we are assuming that a meltdown has occurred," he said of the No. 1 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility. "And with reactor No. 3, we are also assuming that the possibility of a meltdown as we carry out measures."

not good

Posted

thats bad...real bad