Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Socialized Health Care

59 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

...described to us by mark levin. take a listen, you might learn something.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEWZ_GWuuJ0[/ame]

Posted · Report post

Should have known you listened to Patriots fans.

Posted · Report post

If you want to learn about socialized health care, look at the VA system. Wonderful isn't it?

Posted · Report post

Worked fine for me for over 20 years.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CatofWar']If you want to learn about socialized health care, look at the VA system. Wonderful isn't it?[/quote]

the VA system does a lot of things very well, actually.

From a records keeping standpoint, it is the model that the rest of the hospitals in the united states will be switching over to in the next decade.

the problems with the VA stem mostly from underfunding, decaying buildings, and the same aging of the population that's wreaking havoc with the rest of the nation's medical infrastructure.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='cookinwithgas']Worked fine for me for over 20 years.[/quote]

ditto. i was very well cared for growing up in a military family. numerous surgeries, sleep studies, emergency room/doctor visits. for free. very good, fast care.

Posted · Report post

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/04/AR2007030401394.html[/url]

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,257960,00.html[/url]

[url]http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/zimney-health-and-medical-news-you-can-use/va-hospital-problems/[/url]

[url]http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/storage/paper736/news/2008/06/20/News/Report.Cites.Problems.At.Veterans.Hospital-3383828.shtml[/url]

I could go on and on.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rodeo']ditto. i was very well cared for growing up in a military family. numerous surgeries, sleep studies, emergency room/doctor visits. [B]for free[/B]. very good, fast care.[/quote]

:smilielol5:

Posted · Report post

military healthcare isnt free. you work your ass off for that healthcare, nothing "free"
about it

it isnt good either, mine was always adequate and it certainly wasnt bad, but not good. now that im a civilian i get good healthcare

Posted · Report post

Good god I tried to listen to that but stopped 30 seconds in. Really that whiny yelling is what I envision venom sounding like when posting.

Posted · Report post

the intertitles are beautiful...

"Yes, they are idiots Mark.

Only fools believe in socialized medicine!"

Reasonable people don't talk like that.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='mmmbeans']the intertitles are beautiful...

"Yes, they are idiots Mark.

Only fools believe in socialized medicine!"

Reasonable people don't talk like that.[/quote]

hahahaha yea. that video definitely couldve done without those

Posted · Report post

I have experienced both civilian health care through an HMO, and military health care. The private health care was much better. I have never met anyone who thought military health care was better.

Posted · Report post

i can't compare cause i haven't been sick since i was an adult.

Posted · Report post

The government is doing such a wonderful job with Medicare, why not just hand them over everything! Puhhleeeze!

If you honestly for one second think that socialized health care would make our health care system BETTER, then you are a fool (the video was a bit annoying).

Health care is not a right. Its not a right of yours to be covered under the taxes of others. Its not a right that I pay for your health care. Right equal entitlement and nobody is entitled for others to cover their health care

Posted · Report post

I grew up an Air Force brat. Then served 8 years in the Army. The care I got in the service was great. You just had to wait for ever to get it. Plus the facilities are falling apart now.

I work in the medical field for 2 different hospitals.
The privet sector you might get seen a little faster but the level of care is the same. Plus the waits are growing as most hospitals are understaffed. The economic crisis is making that worse as hospitals are starting to lay off employees or cut hours. I have had my hours cut at my primary job since June of last year. Add in the fact we lost over 20 million last year from indigent care. (people who receive treatment then never pay the bill.) It doesn't paint a pretty picture for health care.

On a personal level. I have several family members and friends who don't have health insurance. There jobs don't offer it and they can't afford to get it on there own. I have one very good friend who is only 40 and needs a hip replacement because of an accident he had several years ago, but just can't afford it.

So, I think every American should get health care. There has to be away to make it work that everyone is covered by insurance, and at the same time insuring that there are not long lines waiting to get care.

And for you guys who don't know Medicaid and Medicare already control health care. They set pricing for services rendered, and they pretty much determine what treatment gets done to go along with what diagnoses your admitted under. By saying what they will pay for and what they wont. Other privet health insurances usually follow what ever they do.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pittsburghbaby']
If you honestly for one second think that socialized health care would make our health care system BETTER, then you are a fool (the video was a bit annoying). [/quote]
i can't imagine how it would make it worse than what it already is, which is the worst in the first world.

Posted · Report post

Why should you, me, and every other American foot the bill for healthcare? Do we not do enough now? Why can't you get off your ass and take care of things yourself, instead of relying on BIG GOVERNMENT to do it for you?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CatofWar']Why should you, me, and every other American foot the bill for healthcare? [/quote]
americans already pay more in healthcare related tax than any other country in the oecm.

Posted · Report post

One thing about the libs, if we adopt this system, and it is an absolute boon-doggle, they will still think it's the greatest thing ever because the Government, according to them, is just perfect!

Posted · Report post

as evidenced by "the libs" lining up to continually support the most recent republican big government boon doggle that doesn't work; the war in iraq

Posted · Report post

It's pretty clear the way we're doing it now is wrong.

Not sure how you can spin paying twice as much for healthcare as the rest of the industrialized world but living several years less.

Posted · Report post

I'm not quite sure how griping about costs of health care and then upping taxes to cover a different coverage system changes the costs for anyone. Its high costs all around, no matter what system is in place. I don't see UHC as an answer to system problems and believe there are better, more long-term viable alternatives

Remember the options are not JUST insurance vs some type of universal system. There are other options here.

I do not believe and will not be able to believe that increased govt interference (yes interference) will be a better option

Posted · Report post

[quote name='pittsburghbaby']
Remember the options are not JUST insurance vs some type of universal system. There are other options here.
[/quote]
lol like what

please say healthcare saving accounts so i can rip it up.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Fiz']lol like what

please say healthcare saving accounts so i can rip it up.[/quote]

There are so many things to be done it would take me forever so I'll just give an idea.

If government power is eliminated (do away with the FDA - whose restrictions benefit the most powerful companies by eliminating most competition), those same companies would have to use their funds and resources to sell their drugs to the most people in the least expensive, most reliable and safest way. They would need to outperform their competitors to get your money - otherwise they lose business.