Photo
- - - - -

My take on prayer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:15 PM

I've seen a lot of back and forth on this subject here lately and...to be honest...I can see both sides of it. I'm agnostic, I'll say that up front.

Here's my feeling on the subject...about a year ago I went through a really tough time. I had a hard time sleeping at night, filled with bitterness over someone who had really done me wrong. Sleeping pills worked, but only for a couple of hours at a time. What finally helped me was prayer. I asked God, or my conscience, whatever you want to call it, to please help me get over it and put it behind me. And you know what? It worked. No pills necessary. Didn't work for good...the one or two nights later I'd be thinking the same thoughts...but I'd turn to prayer and poof, those thoughts would go away.

Maybe it's a silly thing to toss away responsibility for your future and put it in an invisible deity's hands. Maybe you are just tricking yourself somehow. But if it works, why criticize people for it? Why take that away from them? As long as they aren't trying to convert you, no harm no foul, I say.

#2 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:20 PM

That's a pretty sound take as long as you don't mind burning in the fiery hot pit of hell forever.

:lol: :D

#3 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,625 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

If people are gonna tell me that airplane A was saved because it was God's will but airplane B was destroyed because it was God's will, I'm gonna call them on it.

Telling people to give Him unending praise when things go right, and telling people to take comfort in the same God when things go wrong...I guess I will never understand how that can be - other than the benefit of thinking about the people who just died a horrible death are now in a better place - although if that was true should we not be mad at God for denying those people standing on the wing in the Hudson the afterlife sooner than they might have gotten to their otherwise?

#4 Jangler

Jangler

that funky feeling to get you through

• HUDDLER
  • 47,836 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:55 PM

http://www.hulu.com/...s-with-benefits

#5 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

Maybe it's a silly thing to toss away responsibility for your future and put it in an invisible deity's hands. Maybe you are just tricking yourself somehow. But if it works, why criticize people for it? Why take that away from them? As long as they aren't trying to convert you, no harm no foul, I say.

I can only speak for myself, but I would never criticize anyone for their faith.

#6 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

If people are gonna tell me that airplane A was saved because it was God's will but airplane B was destroyed because it was God's will, I'm gonna call them on it.

Telling people to give Him unending praise when things go right, and telling people to take comfort in the same God when things go wrong...I guess I will never understand how that can be - other than the benefit of thinking about the people who just died a horrible death are now in a better place - although if that was true should we not be mad at God for denying those people standing on the wing in the Hudson the afterlife sooner than they might have gotten to their otherwise?

Agreed, but I can't make fun of people on the flight who prayed. I'm glad the pilot didn't, but prayer probably kept a lot of people from panicking.

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,625 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

no one here has ever made fun of the act itself, and as I already related, when I was in the hospital last fall I gave it a lot more thought.

#8 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,132 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

two hands doing can accomplish more than 1 million hands clasped in prayer.

#9 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:42 PM

two hands doing can accomplish more than 1 million hands clasped in prayer.

HAHAHAHA!!! Those that clasp hands in prayer do more work in the community than all you liberal blowhards combined. I fell on the floor with that one...Funny one...I didn't know you were a comedian.

#10 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 16,132 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:49 PM

hate crimes don't count as community work.

#11 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,321 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

I have found that if you follow the sleep prayer with a few shots of tequila, it works better. ;)

#12 stwall

stwall

Jesus Freak

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:55 AM

I will say it. To me God is sovereign. He is in control all the time. That second plan didn't just slip by his radar. He allowed it to happen. Why? I have no idea. I'm not God.
Like Job said "Should we not also take the bad along with the good from God."
I know in my personal life God has allowed a lot of suffering. There has been many time I have looked back over the last 8 years of my life and realized I was happier and life was easier before I became a follower of Jesus.
But I trust God, that my suffering is not in vain. God would never waste a hurt. His purpose is for me to grow mature threw my suffering. To grow more mature mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. To become more like Christ and less like the old selfish self centered me.

God is more concerned with our character, than our comfort.

#13 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,625 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:37 AM

yes, Arbeit mach Frei.

#14 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,546 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 03:46 PM

When it comes to this topic, like John Lennon said.."whatever gets you through the night, all right..all right".
If prayer doesn't help ya. Don't sweat it. Don't dog those who do and don't try to understand why they do it. It works for them.
Does it mean that EVERY prayer gets answered? No.
For those with kids knows this. You teach your kid to say please. So there are times they ask daddy or mommy for something and don't get it. What is the kids reply? But I said please.
Same with prayer and horrible things happening or not. There is simply things beyond our cranium to grasp at times and we need to be at peace with that.

#15 Htar

Htar

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

hate crimes don't count as community work.

So church organizations do little good in the community? I never throw personal insults, but if you believe libs do more in the community than religious organizations, you are a colossal boob!

PLEASE, OH PLEASE show me what good any lib organization has EVER done in the community.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com