Photo
- - - - -

Could/would Larry Brown coach at N C St?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,993 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

who the hell wants to live in arizona?? It is way more possible than you think, He was an assisstant here in the late '90s .

#17 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

He's in the sweet 16 and has a fantastic class coming in. But yeah, he's leaving for a rebuilding job at a crap school! Makes plenty of sense.

#18 Ares d9

Ares d9

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:02 AM

Unless Brad Stevens starts doing cocaine there is no way he even looks twice at the NC State job over Butler.

#19 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

Here are the things I know about the Miller search.

1. Miller's agents and NC State have been talking about a potential coaching change since January when it was apparent there was going to be a change at NCSU. I have no clue if there were terms set up or not.

2. Greg Swaim (apparently connected to Doug and Bob Gottlieb) has put on his twitter page that he is hearing Sean Miller to NC State is close to happening. I'm assuming the reason he isn't saying its "a done deal" is because he wants to protect his credibility as well as protect himself if Arizona does something ridiculous like win a national title in which case I think its safe to say Miller will stay. This is the same guy who called Mike Anderson to Arkansas and BCG to Texas Tech the day before both of those guys interviewed. He has also called Buzz Williams to OU, which I think could probably happen as well.

So I don't know much but I do think that a guy quoting Bob Gottlieb (Doug's very connected father) has more credibility than the average joe schmo.

Here is my opinion and stuff I've heard

I think that there are a lot of big names being floated out there for this search but I think that Sean Miller is the only one that holds any water. I heard last night that Rick Barnes is still on the list and I can only assume that he will be interviewed now that he is out of the tournament. I don't think that Texas fans were happy with his end of the season and I can't imagine the heat he is feeling with another second round exit.

So everyone on here touting Arizona as this "dream job" lets just be clear that it wasn't a "dream job" for Sean Miller. Like I said earlier, he is an east coast guy and it took sweetening the pot twice for him to take the Arizona job. So, I'm not saying he will take the NC State job or not. What I am saying is that the people out there that think he won't even think about it have zero clue as to what they are talking about. Unless he wins a national title then he will definitely be thinking long and hard about it.

#20 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

Larry Brown is too damn old to be coaching in college (coaching in general) again. State needs to hire someone that can come in and build their program back the glory days and that may take a few years.

#21 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

Larry Brown is too damn old to be coaching in college (coaching in general) again. State needs to hire someone that can come in and build their program back the glory days and that may take a few years.

Basically, where the LB rumors are coming from are that he was recently featured in an article stating that he wants to come back and coach college basketball again. He said his selling points to counter his age would be that his influence would bring in an all star cast for his assistant coaches and one of those assistants would end up taking over the team after he retired.

IMO he is targeting his old job...UCLA. That is the only job out there that would make any sense for him to go back to IMO if Ben Howland were to be fired. IDT he wants any part of NC State. If he did then I'd welcome him but lets face it...He's a Tar Heel.

#22 GritsRgreat

GritsRgreat

Banned

• Banned
  • 9,101 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

If i was Texas i would fire Barnes and hire Brown.

#23 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,993 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

A. Sean Miller (yeah i know its unrealistic)
B. Brad Stevens
C. Shaka Smart
D. Rick Barnes

#24 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

If State were to hire Barnes, I would just hate them that much more. I can't stand that guy.

My most hated coaches:

1) K
2) Calipari
3) Barnes

#25 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:14 PM

A. Sean Miller (yeah i know its unrealistic)
B. Brad Stevens
C. Shaka Smart
D. Rick Barnes

Might as well move Pearl up on that list. He is a good coach and knows a little about rebuilding a program. I doubt he will make the same mistakes again.

#26 Boltergeist

Boltergeist

Unicorns! Show ponies! Where's the beef!?

• HUDDLER
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

Might as well move Pearl up on that list. He is a good coach and knows a little about rebuilding a program. I doubt he will make the same mistakes again.

He'll just make new and different ones.

#27 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

IDT there is any way State could afford to hire Pearl. Personally, I don't think what he did at Tennessee was that bad, especially with what has reportedly gone on at Carolina, UGA, etc...Basically if he had just been straight up with the NCAA then he would have never been fired. Hell he might not have been fired at all if he had done things exactly the same but did them at a different school. Tennessee is just feeling too much pressure right now with the Kiffin deal and then this happened. So they had to do something.

However, with regard to the State job most people don't realize that the sanctions we had after V were enacted BY NCSU. The NCAA didn't slap those sanctions on us, our BOT did that. They have been trying in earnest to keep their noses clean for the last 20 years and it has worked...at the cost of athletic success.

Right now I have no clue who the list is at NCSU. The only name that I consistently hear is Sean Miller. Yow is playing this thing really really close to the vest and I don't expect anyone to know anything concrete until the name is signed on the dotted line.

#28 scarface

scarface

• HUDDLER
  • 3,095 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

LB coaching NCST!? Oh, the betrayal.

#29 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,993 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:25 PM

deb yow wont hire pearl, im starting to like shaka smart because he described his basketball team as "havok". We can beat any team in the nation talent athletically, we just need a plan. i dont want to see guys standing around while the pg slowly dribbles the ball.

#30 mr beauxjangles

mr beauxjangles

Large Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

what if vinny del was fired by the clippers? chances are slim, but i wonder if he would have any interest in the college ranks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com