Photo
- - - - -

Could/would Larry Brown coach at N C St?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,926 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:17 PM

who the hell wants to live in arizona?? It is way more possible than you think, He was an assisstant here in the late '90s .

His team is in the Sweet 16. Arizona can always have a decent program. Why would anyone in their right mind want to coach at NCSU? Because it's in the ACC? The program is a joke. The ACC is and will always be Duke and UNC. Sure others rise up for a year or two, but always fall back.

#32 tarheelpride

tarheelpride

Logic is optional

• HUDDLER
  • 2,918 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NC

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:55 AM

What about that guy Oklahoma just fired?

#33 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:04 AM

I was in Raleigh this weekend, and the name I kept hearing was Barnes. Haven't heard anything on Miller till now.

As for the money, I've heard from a couple boosters that if NC State gets one of their top 3 guys, they will probably be made the highest paid coach in NCAA. Sounds like the alumnus are tired of getting our asses handed to us by Duke and UNC and are finally putting their money where their mouth is.

#34 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:34 AM

what if vinny del was fired by the clippers? chances are slim, but i wonder if he would have any interest in the college ranks...

Already went down the road of NBA coach and it didn't work out too well...Yow already stated she is looking for an experienced college coach

deb yow wont hire pearl, im starting to like shaka smart because he described his basketball team as "havok". We can beat any team in the nation talent athletically, we just need a plan. i dont want to see guys standing around while the pg slowly dribbles the ball.

I'll tell you right now Shaka Smart would not be able to handle this job. Yow would have to do some serious convincing to sell him to the "money." From what I've heard we will pony up more money rather than go mid-major but that is just what I've heard...

His team is in the Sweet 16. Arizona can always have a decent program. Why would anyone in their right mind want to coach at NCSU? Because it's in the ACC? The program is a joke. The ACC is and will always be Duke and UNC. Sure others rise up for a year or two, but always fall back.

You are clearly an ignorant fan. I would encourage you to read some Al Featherston as well as, surprisingly, Gregg Doyel. Featherston recounts our history before the "draconian" (his words not mine) sanctions that we enacted on ourself. If you know anything about the ACC pre-1990 then you will know that NC State was very much on par with both Duke and Carolina. Doyel has said on multiple occasions that we are a team set up for national prominence due to facilities, money, tradition, and fanbase. All we need is the right coach. Don't be stupid...Carolina and Duke are clearly the best but a huge school with huge money like NC State could easily get back in the ring if we had the right coach. Its the same reason that UNC has seen a rise in football (except for the cheating part). Money Money Money and a refusal to accept mediocrity.

I was in Raleigh this weekend, and the name I kept hearing was Barnes. Haven't heard anything on Miller till now.

As for the money, I've heard from a couple boosters that if NC State gets one of their top 3 guys, they will probably be made the highest paid coach in NCAA. Sounds like the alumnus are tired of getting our asses handed to us by Duke and UNC and are finally putting their money where their mouth is.

This is what I've heard as well. From the rumblings I have heard that not only will we not be hiring a mid major coach...Our boosters are willing to actually pony up extra money on top of what Yow has already promised if its not enough to lure a promising high major coach. Not sure if it'll take that but I think its definitely on the table.

#35 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:11 AM

What about that guy Oklahoma just fired?

A dookie at State? hmm...

#36 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,926 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:05 PM

You are clearly an ignorant fan. I would encourage you to read some Al Featherston as well as, surprisingly, Gregg Doyel. Featherston recounts our history before the "draconian" (his words not mine) sanctions that we enacted on ourself. If you know anything about the ACC pre-1990...

I stopped right there. You sound as bad as a Cowboys fan who brags about their old ass rings. PRE-1990? Really? NCSU can pay some supercoach more money than Bill Gates if they want, but the trick is to out recruit UNC and Duke and that just won't happen...anymore.

NCSU last won the ACC regular season in 1989.

NCSU last won the ACC Tournament in 1987. Yes, they made the final tournament game in 97, 02, 03, and 07.

You need to ask yourself what is behind their lack of success. The answer is that the media has overhyped Duke, UNC, and other major programs since TV ratings have soared for such big time games, and .com journalism has replaced print media. In other words, the media has made schools like NCSU seem like a joke so much, that they unfairly become a joke. If you were a top 10 recruit, why would you pick NCSU over Duke or Carolina or any other top program? The best NCSU can hope for is to hire a solid coach and basically be what they have become: a "mid-major" (talent wise) with a top tier name attached to their school. If Butler can make the dance, so can you. But for now...you are indeed a joke, along side Virginia, Clemson, BC, and Miami. It's not your fault. But don't give me stats from the 80s and 90s. It's 2011, guy.

#37 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

If you were a top 10 recruit, why would you pick NCSU over Duke or Carolina or any other top program?

I would hope so.

I'm ok competing for Top 50-100 talent with a good coach we can/will compete. Roy and Coach K won't be there in 10 years. The pendulum will swing back. *cough* Matt Doherty *cough*

#38 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:40 PM

I stopped right there. You sound as bad as a Cowboys fan who brags about their old ass rings. PRE-1990? Really? NCSU can pay some supercoach more money than Bill Gates if they want, but the trick is to out recruit UNC and Duke and that just won't happen...anymore.

NCSU last won the ACC regular season in 1989.

NCSU last won the ACC Tournament in 1987. Yes, they made the final tournament game in 97, 02, 03, and 07.

You need to ask yourself what is behind their lack of success. The answer is that the media has overhyped Duke, UNC, and other major programs since TV ratings have soared for such big time games, and .com journalism has replaced print media. In other words, the media has made schools like NCSU seem like a joke so much, that they unfairly become a joke. If you were a top 10 recruit, why would you pick NCSU over Duke or Carolina or any other top program? The best NCSU can hope for is to hire a solid coach and basically be what they have become: a "mid-major" (talent wise) with a top tier name attached to their school. If Butler can make the dance, so can you. But for now...you are indeed a joke, along side Virginia, Clemson, BC, and Miami. It's not your fault. But don't give me stats from the 80s and 90s. It's 2011, guy.

I encourage you to read the Al Featherston article I linked. 1990 might seem like a long time ago but remember that we were EQUAL to Duke and only slightly under UNC at that time as far as winning is concerned...and then we put sanctions on ourselves.

I'm not even going to argue with you anymore because its pointless. There are 5 schools on "elite" level according to you and they are Duke, Kansas, Carolina, UCLA, Kentucky. Those are the only schools in the country that "recruit themselves." You could put a clown in charge of those schools and recruits would come. But for every other school (mid-majors according to you) you have to have a good coach...Which NCSU hasn't had in the last 20 years. If syndicated writers like Greg Doyel, Al Featherston, and Dave Glenn are saying that NC State is a "sleeping giant" and could make the Final Four with the right coach then I'm going to tend to buy into what they say rather than a Carolina fan that just wants to belittle a rival.

#39 Kitten Diver

Kitten Diver

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

State with Miller or Pearl would be no joke. I feel like Miller is the better coach, but the talent Pearl could get would easily rival any program. Maybe State doesn't want Pearl now, but what if the top guys decline the offer?

#40 PantherFan52

PantherFan52

The Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

Never send a women to do a man's job. I still find it comedic that State fans think they can lure Sean Miller from Arizona. Both he, and the AD have repeatedly stated he is happy at Arizona, and they are working to sign an extension this summer. He is going to be at the top of the Pac year after year, and get top 10 classes year after year, so why would he flee Arizona to go to the 3rd best program in NC? And don't give me that bullshit "Amy Miller isn't happy in Arizona" because from everything i've read from credible AZ insiders say that is a false statement.

I hope you guys enjoy Shaka Smart as your future head coach. Hell, even Pat Summit has a better chance at becoming the NC state coach than Miller does.

#41 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

Never send a women to do a man's job. I still find it comedic that State fans think they can lure Sean Miller from Arizona. Both he, and the AD have repeatedly stated he is happy at Arizona, and they are working to sign an extension this summer. He is going to be at the top of the Pac year after year, and get top 10 classes year after year, so why would he flee Arizona to go to the 3rd best program in NC? And don't give me that bullpoo "Amy Miller isn't happy in Arizona" because from everything i've read from credible AZ insiders say that is a false statement.

I hope you guys enjoy Shaka Smart as your future head coach. Hell, even Pat Summit has a better chance at becoming the NC state coach than Miller does.

IDT anyone has said that we WILL lure Sean Miller from Zona. I have no clue if Sean Miller is going to look around or not but you saying that he isn't because he "says" he isn't is ridiculous. What is he going to say the day before the biggest game of his coaching career?? "Yes I am indeed looking into other offers." Nobody knows anything right now other than Sean Miller and right now its a waiting game.

All I'll say is that I know for an absolute fact that our AD has been in contact with him about the coaching search. Whether the interest was reciprocal I have no clue. She did put herself out there though with the criteria she wants in the head coach. She set pretty high standards and usually when people are in that position they don't say stuff like that without having some sort of vibe with regard to what is going to happen.

That's not even to say that Miller is the guy she thinks will take the job maybe she has someone else that she is confident in and asking Miller is a formality because the boosters/money want her to ask him first. I really have no clue. All I know is that its naive to think there is no chance for him to leave AZ.

#42 PantherFan52

PantherFan52

The Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

Then call me naive, because I don't think there is a chance in Hell he will leave Arizona this year. In our coaching search we set our standards high as well, and we almost hired Jim Boylen, Tim Floyd, or Seth buttfuging Greenburg. All State fans want to make an "A-list" hire but the fact of the matter is that it won't happen. You will get a very good Mid-major coach, and if he is fortunate enough, will once again make the program dominant like it once was.

#43 YoungPanthers89

YoungPanthers89

Lucy Snorebush

• HUDDLER
  • 10,995 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

wow, i didnt think people neg repped anymore

#44 PantherFan52

PantherFan52

The Man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:43 PM

Well then ya thought wrong!

#45 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

Then call me naive, because I don't think there is a chance in Hell he will leave Arizona this year. In our coaching search we set our standards high as well, and we almost hired Jim Boylen, Tim Floyd, or Seth buttfuging Greenburg. All State fans want to make an "A-list" hire but the fact of the matter is that it won't happen. You will get a very good Mid-major coach, and if he is fortunate enough, will once again make the program dominant like it once was.

You still aren't hearing what I'm saying. I'm not saying that Miller will come to State I am saying that he will listen. You are saying that he will dismiss the State job and not even listen and that just isn't the case.

If the guy would have "crawled to Raleigh for the job" 5 years ago (which has been reported) then he isn't going to dismiss another opportunity without even hearing what the offer is. He coached here, his brother played here...They have close ties to the program so to think that there is no chance in hell he leaves the oasis that is Tucson, Arizona is naive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com