274 replies to this topic

#61 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

The Carolina Panthers have always been the OK team with a good running game, good defense and no franchise QB. Those who continue to forget that fact are doomed to repeat it.

ANY pick is a roll of the dice, any player or FA is a risk. If Cam or Gab or Mallett have a 60-50% chance of being a franchise QB you make that pick.

Exactly. I hear Palmer's name thrown around a lot on this board but whats to say he won't come here and flop or become as fragile as glass. There is no guarantee in football.

#62 Lumps

Lumps

Jase is butthurt

• HUDDLER
  • 5,548 posts
  • LocationSouth Charlotte

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:51 AM

yeah but moore could actually throw to the receivers. Clausen threw the ball to mike goodson all day. honestly, the receivers were getting open at the end of the year, clausen just would not pull the trigger and throw to anyone with someone within 3 yards of them. his indecisiveness and overly cautious playing style makes me hate him.

That is called 'rookie style'. It happens to 99% of all QBs their first year.

But ultimately it's the QBs measure of progress that determines their worth.

#63 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

So let's see Cam can't start and needs to sit and learn becasue it would be disastrous, yet Jimmy isn't allowed the luxury and is forced to start under the worst possible conditions and fails and he is a bust.

Jimmy was scared. You can't "fix" that (i.e.David Carr).

#64 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,292 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

Are you all really blind to the fact that the only real difference in last year's offense and the previous few years was that: Smitty was a little older, we didn't have Moose beside him, Jake Delhomme (a below average QB) was gone, and our OL was inconsistent?

Matt Moore should have actually been the guy, but our WRs couldn't get open like they used to. Our OL couldn't keep him on his feet for more than 3 plays in a row. The lame duck staff called horrible plays.

Enter the rookie scapegoat. Boo... hiss... all his fault!

WRs had zero problems getting open when Clausen was on the bench....

Edited by CRA, 21 March 2011 - 09:56 AM.

#65 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 16,194 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

I guess drafting Dareus would be okay. But, so is going 5-11.

Sounds like the coaches may have changed but the philosophy hasn't. Don't take risks, be happy we have a franchise, thank you NFL (suck, suck, suck).

#66 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,002 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

Jimmy was scared. You can't "fix" that (i.e.David Carr).

Nonsense, what a ridiculous comparison.

#67 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

Scared is scared. You can't play that way and be successful.

#68 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,292 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

your right, David Carr was better as a rookie than Clausen. Took Carr a few years to develop the style that Clausen has right out of the gates.

#69 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

If your franchise has drafted a QB you believe is the future "with some grooming" then you say that. You don't constantly talk about finding a franchise QB to anyone willing to listen. Rivera is just being polite by throwing that line in there about being on the roster.

Clausen is a project. A new offense (w/ possibly less of an offseason) ain't the place for a project like Clausen.

Rivera can't afford to start off his career continuing the dysfunction we saw last season. Too easy of a fix to continue to let that occur.

If Rivera drafts Cam he won't start week 1. They will bring in someone to get the offense established while Cam learns. Clausen isn't that QB....Clausen is a project where they need to figure out if he even deserves a roster spot as a backup.

All rookie QB's are projects to one extent or another... Rivera does need to show some improvement from the offense we saw last season but it's not a "make or break" year for him and he certainly won't be blamed if Clausen struggles again since he inherited Clausen.

I don't think any rookie QB should be asked to start week 1, I think that's unfair and foolish. It's also unfair and foolish to decide that Clausen can't be a good starting QB after one season... takes at least 3 years to fully evaluate.

#70 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

To be a dominant QB you have to have that warrior spirit that "it" that Manning , Brady and even Brees has. Do you think Jimmy can buy one or go to the Wizard and beg him one?

#71 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,668 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

That is called 'rookie style'. It happens to 99% of all QBs their first year.

But ultimately it's the QBs measure of progress that determines their worth.

so if a qb shows no progression in 10+ games, what is his worth?

#72 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 26,292 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:04 AM

All rookie QB's are projects to one extent or another... Rivera does need to show some improvement from the offense we saw last season but it's not a "make or break" year for him and he certainly won't be blamed if Clausen struggles again since he inherited Clausen.

I don't think any rookie QB should be asked to start week 1, I think that's unfair and foolish. It's also unfair and foolish to decide that Clausen can't be a good starting QB after one season... takes at least 3 years to fully evaluate.

yes, they are all projects. Clausen is a legit project QB though.....nor does he appear to even fit in Chud's offense if he gets up to NFL speed. Pike and Clausen were horrible picks. Horrible picks b/c they drafted them knowing Fox was walking and no clue what the next coach would want. The sooner they move on from those two the better.

#73 XClown1986

XClown1986

I'm a good clown

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

New regime, new offense, new gameplans.

All 3 of those reasons should tell you why Clausen is still going to be here next year, and why they will try to groom him for the future.

Anybody saying that Clausen doesn't fit Chud's offense didn't pay attention to his career at Notre Dame and are immediately discredited. He was at his best stretching the field and getting the tight end involved. Wonder what kind of offense Chud wants to run?..... Hmm...

I'm not saying he WILL be the guy in the future but what I am saying is that he played his senior year in the NFL. He had the star receiver screaming in his face consistently, a coaching staff that didn't like him, an offensive gameplan that didn't help him, and the most inconsistent leaky O-line we have had in years. Not to mention we couldn't even run the damn ball like we wanted to. But in the end, Clausen kept his composure and ground out the season, biting his lip. NO ONE was happier than Clausen to get a new coaching regime. The kid showed class and flashes of talent here and there throughout the season. Giving up on him after the turd of a team we had last year collectively is naive and stupid.

#74 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

yes, they are all projects. Clausen is a legit project QB though.....nor does he appear to even fit in Chud's offense if he gets up to NFL speed. Pike and Clausen were horrible picks. Horrible picks b/c they drafted them knowing Fox was walking and no clue what the next coach would want. The sooner they move on from those two the better.

I don't know how you can label Clausen and Pike (especially Pike) as horrible picks after just one season?

If Clausen and/or Pike have the talent, then you build an offense around them... you don't try to force them into an offense that they can't execute. Rivera is a practical man, I'm sure he understands this.

#75 rippadonn

rippadonn

Since 2006

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

I didn't see anything from JC that would make me think that as a player he will dominate a game a series or anything. I was hoping he would be a lot better coming out of a "pro" offense in college.

We will not draft Andrew Luck, not this year or next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com