2nd round QBs

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:27 AM

A lot of people have been posting about how much Carolina has "invested" into Clausen and that you can't draft a QB now. So I figured we could look at the recent QBs drafted in the 2nd round (5 drafts prior to Clausen's) and how much they appeared "tied" to and invested in them.

2nd round QBs

Dolphins - waived after 1 season

Packers - waived after 1 season
Dolphins - active roster
Patriots - waived after 1 season

Eagles - 2 yrs into career Eagles brought former Pro Bowler Mike Vick in but still on the active roster
Dolphins - another QB drafted 1 yr later in 2nd, waived after 2 seasons
Lions -another QB drafted 2 yrs later in first round but still on active roster

Vikings - active roster

recent history shows that teams who draft QBs in the 2nd round are NOT afraid to part ways very quickly with the QBs or bring in new bodies via the draft or free agency/trade.

Edited by CRA, 22 March 2011 - 08:42 AM.

#2 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,266 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:34 AM

I don't think we've invested too much in Clausen to draft another QB... if you think any of the QB's in this class are potential franchise QB's then you draft them - it's as simple as that - but the argument that we should go ahead and give up on Clausen at this point is silly.

#3 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:34 AM

A lot of people have been posting about how much Carolina has "invested" into Clausen and that you can't draft a QB now. So I figured we could look at the recent QBs drafted in the 2nd round (5 drafts prior to Clausen's) and how much they appeared "tied" to and invested in them.

2nd round QBs

Dolphins - waived after 1 season

Packers - waived after 1 season
Dolphins - active roster
Patriots - waived after 1 season

Eagles - 2 yrs into career Eagles brought former Pro Bowler Mike Vick in but still on the active roster
Dolphins - another QB drafted 1 yr later in 2nd, waived after 2 seasons
Lions -another QB drafted 2 yrs later in first round but still on active roster

Vikings - active roster

recent history shows that teams who draft QBs in the 2nd round are NOT afraid to part ways very quickly with the QBs or bring in new bodies via the draft or free agency/trade.

Probably due to the fact they find out that second rounders rarely develop into franchise guys. People point out Brees but he was picked at the first guy in the second round or 1 pick out of the first round. By the bottom of the second round you are talking about a guy who typically is a crapshoot particularly in years like last year with a draft weaker than this one outside of Bradford.

#4 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,643 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

dont give up on him yet, but he should not see the field. clausen looked bad and i dont think he will be a qb in the nfl. if he shows nothing in tc and preseason give him the clipboard and put a 6th rounder on his head. or just cut him than.

#5 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:39 AM

I don't think we've invested too much in Clausen to draft another QB... if you think any of the QB's in this class are potential franchise QB's then you draft them - it's as simple as that - but the argument that we should go ahead and give up on Clausen at this point is silly.

but I think a key arguement is some people think not giving up on him means he continues to start. I don't think we give up on him....but he definately should be burried on the depth chart. Maybe he turns into something but putting someone that bad out doesn't help him or the Panthers at this point.

#6 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,963 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:40 AM

dont give up on him yet, but he should not see the field. clausen looked bad and i dont think he will be a qb in the nfl. if he shows nothing in tc and preseason give him the clipboard and put a 6th rounder on his head. or just cut him than.

There is huge difference between giving up on him and not putting all your eggs in one basket.

#7 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,303 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

Carolina is not drafting a QB this year. Please get this idiotic idea out of ur heads. Carolina will sign Billy Volek. They are basically going to install San Diegos offense with Chud here, who else to run it then someone who already knows the system. Jimmy will sit, Pike will sit. Moore will get traded. Carolina will take Dareus or Peterson with the #1 pick or trade down and get a 2nd round pick.

#8 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

Carolina is not drafting a QB this year. Please get this idiotic idea out of ur heads. Carolina will sign Billy Volek. They are basically going to install San Diegos offense with Chud here, who else to run it then someone who already knows the system. Jimmy will sit, Pike will sit. Moore will get traded. Carolina will take Dareus or Peterson with the #1 pick or trade down and get a 2nd round pick.

my thread isn't about claiming they will draft a QB. Just that Carolina isn't going to be afraid of making QB moves.

Personally, I think we bring in vet that becomes our starter.

I think Pike gets cut and Moore isn't under contract to get traded. 6th rounders generally don't hang on for seasons. I think Rivera brings in two new QBs to camp one way or another.

#9 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,317 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:47 AM

Did Moore look that much better while in last season?

Moore, Clausen, Gabbert, Newton, or Mallet would have all looked lackluster in our offense

#10 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,643 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:50 AM

There is huge difference between giving up on him and not putting all your eggs in one basket.

hence giving him a clipboard.

#11 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:54 AM

Did Moore look that much better while in last season?

Moore, Clausen, Gabbert, Newton, or Mallet would have all looked lackluster in our offense

Moore was not very successful in his very brief time......but Moore did look much better in terms of basics of the position.

#12 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,266 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

I think they will draft Newton AND bring in a vet QB like Volek to be a stop-gap until Newton is ready to start.

#13 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,303 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

u really think Newton can run a san diego type offense? Not gonna happen.

#14 4Corners

4Corners

go to sleep hoe

• HUDDLER
  • 14,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

That was some cool research by CRA, but I agree with you.

Clausen basically fell into the Panthers lap and instantly filled a need. It's generally accepted that Hurney and Fox's draft philosophy has always been BPA. So it's not really fair to knock the Panthers for drafting JC.

I also agree that it is foolish to give up on JC. I think he deserves one more year under a more stable, better organization.

If he blows next year though, I'm done with him.

#15 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,303 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

I would much rather see them take a DT #1, and then move back into the 2nd round and grab Colin Kaepernick as our future qb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com