Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2nd round QBs

37 posts in this topic

Posted

u really think Newton can run a san diego type offense? Not gonna happen.

Posted

I don't think we've invested too much in Clausen to draft another QB... if you think any of the QB's in this class are potential franchise QB's then you draft them - it's as simple as that - but the argument that we should go ahead and give up on Clausen at this point is silly.

That was some cool research by CRA, but I agree with you.

Clausen basically fell into the Panthers lap and instantly filled a need. It's generally accepted that Hurney and Fox's draft philosophy has always been BPA. So it's not really fair to knock the Panthers for drafting JC.

I also agree that it is foolish to give up on JC. I think he deserves one more year under a more stable, better organization.

If he blows next year though, I'm done with him.

Posted

I would much rather see them take a DT #1, and then move back into the 2nd round and grab Colin Kaepernick as our future qb.

Posted

Probably due to the fact they find out that second rounders rarely develop into franchise guys. People point out Brees but he was picked at the first guy in the second round or 1 pick out of the first round. By the bottom of the second round you are talking about a guy who typically is a crapshoot particularly in years like last year with a draft weaker than this one outside of Bradford.

The "Haters" wouldn't want Drew Brees bc he completed only 11-20 at the combine

Brees was confused. Some quarterbacks took Zorn's advice and threw three-quarter-speed spirals to wideouts long after the receivers came out of their breaks. Balls like those would get picked off in a game, but they were safe passes in this arena. Brees stuck with his game plan and threw on rhythm. Some wideouts made sharp breaks, others didn't. Of Brees's 20 balls, 11 were solid throws and nine were poor. He one-hopped a simple out-cut and overthrew another. His long throws—the post-corner and the streak—were wobbly, setting off alarms throughout the league.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1022419/6/index.htm#ixzz1HKxD95fa

Posted

The only qbs that can run the SD offense in this draft are Gabbert, Mallett, and Stanzi.

Posted

yeah he has a good deep ball and strong arm.

Posted

Agree with OP. The verdict is still not out on Clausen, but we are not nearly as invested in him as many people think or act. Whether we choose to go the QB route #1 overall is another debate, but the fact that we aren't on the hook for mega-money with Clausen if we choose to cut ties is somewhat comforting.

Posted

We will look more like the 07-08 Browns than what you saw in SD last year....

and yeah, Cam could easily develop into a QB capable of running that offense.

Posted

A lot of people have been posting about how much Carolina has "invested" into Clausen and that you can't draft a QB now. So I figured we could look at the recent QBs drafted in the 2nd round (5 drafts prior to Clausen's) and how much they appeared "tied" to and invested in them.

2nd round QBs

Dolphins - waived after 1 season

Packers - waived after 1 season

Dolphins - active roster

Patriots - waived after 1 season

Eagles - 2 yrs into career Eagles brought former Pro Bowler Mike Vick in but still on the active roster

Dolphins - another QB drafted 1 yr later in 2nd, waived after 2 seasons

Lions -another QB drafted 2 yrs later in first round but still on active roster

Vikings - active roster

recent history shows that teams who draft QBs in the 2nd round are NOT afraid to part ways very quickly with the QBs or bring in new bodies via the draft or free agency/trade.

Guess you are just talking recent as Drew Brees was a second rounder also

Posted

The only qbs that can run the SD offense in this draft are Gabbert, Mallett, and Stanzi.

that ain't Chud's offense.

Posted

Absolutely. He needs to continue to work on his footwork and learn the defenses which we would have to do in any offense. But he clearly has the arm for a vertical passing attack and with the safeties playing deep his elusiveness and running ability should be a big plus.

Posted

Guess you are just talking recent as Drew Brees was a second rounder also

I said recent history and specfically said the last half decade prior to Clausen's draft (last 5 yrs).

Brees doesn't contradict the point of the thread regardless. Drafting 2nd round QBs doesn't prevent teams from making QBs moves. He just happens to be a QB that was successful drafted in the 2nd round (one spot from the 1st round). Tom Brady being successful doesn't mean most 6th round QBs have decent percentage of working out and that teams should put a lot of time into them.

1 person likes this