Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,269 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

NFL Nation Blog

Let’s make it very clear that Carolina wide receiver Steve Smith is not on the official trading block right now. But, the more I see and hear, the more I think that’s only because there isn’t an official trading block right now.

The NFL players are locked out and, as long as they are, there can be no trades or roster moves. But after spending lots of time around Carolina officials at the NFL owners meeting, it’s obvious there’s a real chance Smith could be gone from the only team he’s ever played for as soon as the lockout ends.

The Panthers aren’t going to just give away perhaps the best player in franchise history. But it sure seems like they’d be willing to listen to trade offers as coach Ron Rivera begins a new regime and Smith’s own wishes might only help facilitate a trade.

“The one thing was, he expressed his opinions and feelings on things,’’ Rivera said. “I told him quite frankly that the one thing we have to do is go through the process.

“I told Steve that we’ve got to go through this process and we’ll go from there. We’ll have a decision. But we’ll go through the process first."

At the moment, Smith can’t talk to team officials and they can’t talk to him. As soon as the lockout is over, though, the rules change and you get the feeling that when that time comes Smith and the Panthers quickly could be talking to other teams. Heck, Rivera wouldn't even touch the question when asked if the Panthers had any trade talks with other teams about Smith before the lockout started.

“I don’t want to talk about that,’’ Rivera said. “That’s something we’ll go through if it happens.’’

#2 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 17,556 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:40 AM

I can easily see that if a CBA is done before the draft, we trade Smith and draft Green.

#3 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,283 posts

I really want Smitty to retire a Panther

#4 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

If Rivera believes Smith wil lbe traded, there actually may be something to possibly drafting Green #1.

#5 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 14,958 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

I hope this isn't true, I bought an authentic '07 Smith pro-bowl jersey that I'd like to get signed before he goes... LOL

#6 PackPanther

PackPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:42 AM

I really hope we dont lose smith. We are not going to get anyone with whatever pick we get for him that is going to be as good or as valuable to us. I agree I would most like him to retire a panther.

#7 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

Señor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

It's not going to matter until there's a CBA and I think the chances of it go down if there's still nothing in place post-draft. I love Smitty, but this has been a possibility for a while now.

#8 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

I would be fine with trading Smith. We need to start getting something (mainly draft picks) for these aging veterans before it's too late. It sucks to treat guys that way, but it's better to keep reloading your roster instead of having to rebuild your roster because you held on to too many veterans after they were starting to decline. You have to make these moves while there is still some value there.

#9 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

Smith is my favorite player...it's going to be sad to see him go. I've already excepted and gotten use to the idea of him being traded. Yea, it would be nice to see him retire a panther, but this team is going in a new direction and I dont see Smith in the future plans

#10 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,083 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

I really hope we dont lose smith. We are not going to get anyone with whatever pick we get for him that is going to be as good or as valuable to us. I agree I would most like him to retire a panther.

definately don't want Smitty to retire here......there flat out will come a time w/ his attitude/issues/distractions/lack of chemistry with the team outweighs his on field production. That time is rapidly approaching.

#11 riddel

riddel

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

Unless you get a 1st for Smith, which will never happen, then it's a stupid move.

If Smith is on the trading block, then we really may be considering one of these lame rookie QBs for the #1 pick.....what a disaster.

#12 PackPanther

PackPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:57 AM

definately don't want Smitty to retire here......there flat out will come a time w/ his attitude/issues/distractions/lack of chemistry with the team outweighs his on field production. That time is rapidly approaching.

True, but I think Rivera will have Smith more under control than Fox did. Smith was Fox's boy but I dont think Rivera will take that s**t if Smith stays.

#13 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,083 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

Unless you get a 1st for Smith, which will never happen, then it's a stupid move.

If Smith is on the trading block, then we really may be considering one of these lame rookie QBs for the #1 pick.....what a disaster.

well, to keep Smitty you can't use Clausen, Pike, or a drafted rookie as the QB in 2011.

if they land a Palmer or someone like that.....then Rivera can keep Smitty.

I bet Carolina has no clue what they are going to do yet as the options have been put on hold and when they can start making moves you never know what could become avaliable.

#14 Highlandfire

Highlandfire

There can be only one.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

If Rivera believes Smith wil lbe traded, there actually may be something to possibly drafting Green #1.

I wouldnt take a WR #1. Move down a few spots, pick up at least a 2nd this year then take him.

#15 Future Of The Franchise

Future Of The Franchise

The Ambassador of Booty

• HUDDLER
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:59 AM

I got used to losing my favorite players after Pep left last season. I no longer hold any allegience to the players and only care about the good of the team. If you are a cancer you must be removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.