Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

Yasinskas Speculation: "Real Chance" Smith is Traded

198 posts in this topic

Cutting back on his snaps would actually make him more effective, as well as extending his career.

they did that last year. The majority of the time when they ran 1 WR sets Smitty was on the bench.

I think Smitty was mentally on vacation from about week 4-5 forward.

also, 3-4 years ago if you had Smitty in space whether it was a screen or a corner giving a cushion that meant automatic yards after the catch (and big yards at that)........he simply doesn't have that same kind of gear anymore (but he is 32 so that is understandable). That ability in space is what made him so dangerous like in 05. I think he had like 900 YAC that year....flat out absurd. DeSean Jackson will be a different player as well 8 yrs from now as well.....and he won't be as dangerous.

Pretty much. I found it interesting that in both the last two years, his longest receptions have not gone the distance. That hasn't happened since 2002 (ignoring his 1 game in 2004).

Quite difficult to imagine Smith making 66 yards, but not taking it all the way in...

they did that last year. The majority of the time when they ran 1 WR sets Smitty was on the bench.

I think Smitty was mentally on vacation from about week 4-5 forward.

Smith played in 89% of all possible offensive snaps, far and above all other receivers. If any other receiver was on during single receiver sets, then they would naturally be involved in all other sets as well, thus have a higher percentage of snaps.

Smith played in 89% of all possible offensive snaps, far and above all other receivers. If any other receiver was on during single receiver sets, then they would naturally be involved in all other sets as well, thus have a higher percentage of snaps.

okay, but when they went to that standard formation they used over and over w/ 1 WR....Smitty wasn't the WR. They often ran out of it so I think they were just giving him a break in duties.

Well..

1) First off, stop getting worked up over a Yas article, I haven't seen anything he writes come to be true. He doesn't seem to get anything more right than we do on the huddle.

2) Smith is NOT a top 5 WR anymore. I'm sorry. Yes his QB play was lackluster, but top-5 WR's still get productive (look at Fitz/Bolden when LEINART was throwing to them). Tony Gonzalez was the best TE every year in KC with junk at the QB position. When Smith WAS a top-5 he made Jake look really good. He no longer can do that. He's not a bad WR, and he still may be top 15 or top 10 but he's definitely not top 5. He's a Panther through and through but let's be real guys. He's lost a step and he is dropping more and more balls each year.

3) We won't get enough value from trading him to justify it. WR's seem to go for cheap now, and I don't expect someone like Smith who's almost 32, slowing down (when his game is based off speed), drops more every year, is a pain and nuisance to the team, has past behavior issues, and also has some serious injuries (the broken arm WILL come back again and bite him) to get high draft picks. Before you even get to his drop in production he's already not worth it.

1 person likes this

One big problem for Steve Smith has been his yardage after catch. Early on in his career, SS was a SUPER STUD at getting yardage after the catch, and it didn't matter where on the fied that he caught the ball. Though his effort and heart has not declined, he has lost ground speed, acceleration, and cannot cut as sharply either. He evades fewer tackles. The seperation he once created has narrowed, and that has resulted in better tackling, which probably takes its toll on his body as well.

Even if we fans consider that he hasn't been getting great passes, we can still look and consider what SS does with the ball AFTER it is caught. That is the most obvious place where you can isolate Steve Smith's individual skills and compare them only to himself in years prior. YAC is not the only aspect of his game that has declined, but it is one that requires a hefty dose of homerism to ignore.

I said it last year before the season was over and I'll say it again. Smith is gone. He will be traded.

I will be very surprised if he is on this team in December.

Trade Steve and take AJ Green. That's the only way I'd support the move.

Smith bitched about the rookies not kissing his ass last offseason, but then goes out and drops balls and fumbles while Gettis and Lafell improve.

Did Smitty really bitch about rookies not kissing his ass or you're just lying & putting words in his mouth like you're known for doing the same for some of us here often when you disagree? Not to mention being cocky & full of it. Oh yeah, being rude and immature as well.

But then you saying Jerry Rice isn't really that good show you don't know about good football with dissing one of the best WR there ever was.

And I hope Smitty stay. He is just frustrated & need better QB. But at least he is somewhat the reason why LaFell & Gettis play good. Hopefully the 2 don't become another Keary Colbert.

Did Smitty really bitch about rookies not kissing his ass or you're just lying & putting words in his mouth like you're known for doing the same for some of us here often when you disagree? Not to mention being cocky & full of it. Oh yeah, being rude and immature as well.

But then you saying Jerry Rice isn't really that good show you don't know about good football with dissing one of the best WR there ever was.

Yes, Steve, you bitched about it. We remember.

Well..

3) We won't get enough value from trading him to justify it. WR's seem to go for cheap now, and I don't expect someone like Smith who's almost 32, slowing down (when his game is based off speed), drops more every year, is a pain and nuisance to the team, has past behavior issues, and also has some serious injuries (the broken arm WILL come back again and bite him) to get high draft picks. Before you even get to his drop in production he's already not worth it.

And this is the real issue at hand. The question that has to be answered in the affirmative when contemplating a trade is simple: Will what we get in return increase the productivity over what we have now?

Sorry, I don't see it. I'd be surprised if Steve Smith would get anything better than a 4th rounder and for all the over-hyped accusations made about Steve Smith in the locker room, on the sidelines, at practice, etc. (I had no idea so many Huddle people had access to these places- where do I sign up?)there still is not a 4th round WR who is half as good as Smith.