Yasinskas Speculation: "Real Chance" Smith is Traded

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
195 replies to this topic

#136 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,911 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

Anything less than 3 first round picks would not be a good idea.

If the Panthers stay young at QB.....Panthers should get rid of him for whatever they can get. Keeping on the team and him being a destructive force and not aiding in the growth of the offense does no one any good.

You can easily argue a lesser caliber vet WR would have done more good for this team than he did last season. Steve Smith has no place on a young offense at this point. Unless a vet QB is going to start this season then dump him for picks.

#137 ECUPantherFan

ECUPantherFan

Wish we had Olsen twins

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:38 AM

Just be glad Michael Jordan doesn't own the Panthers. If he did, he would have traded Smitty to the Trail Blazers for a washing machine.

#138 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,005 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

We will get at least a second for steve..I know u guys love the guy and he is a great player.But maybe he soes want to go to a team thats better then the panthers then he might will be able to get a shot at a superBowl. Lets just be real 4 a second it will bw a whilw before we ever be able to get back. We gotta have a QB to get us there. The panthers are showing respect to the guy. If we get Lucky maybe a pretty good team already just need a WR to stretch the field a little may try to throw a first to get him. I mean You never know.

#139 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,144 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

day late dollar short

#140 JungleCat

JungleCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:30 AM

I'd hate to see Smitty leave the Panthers but with everything going on right now, I wouldn't be surprised.

#141 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

If Smith does stay, there's a good possibility it's in a reduced role, perhaps as a number three. And honestly, that might be for the best.

Much as we all may like him, objectively speaking, he isn't what he once was.

(and basing plans for the season on the idea that he will be is probably a mistake)

There is no way in hell Steve Smith is the #3 WR on the Panthers next year.

#142 Firefox

Firefox

This Board Rocks

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:34 AM

He very well might be. Heck, even Dwayne Jarrett had more yards per catch last year :eek:

#143 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

Guys, are you serious???

Smith was extremely affected by the poor, inconsistent QB play. I'll admit that he "may have lost a step" - but he is still an explosive player and one of the top 8-10 WRS in the league.

You guys gotta admit he played significantly better when Moore was in the game.

#144 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,333 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

Thats what Smith want's, he's been saying for a while now that he wants to become a slot reciever....

As for his trade value, I think he's still worth a late 3rd round pick. I believe that he's still explosive enough to be a go to guy for a team and has a few 1000 yard seasons left in him.

If the CBA is put in place early enough, I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith traded to a team like Greenbay. I only see him getting traded though if the CBA is completed in time for the draft. I think if Carolina is trading him, they want a DP in this years draft.

#145 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

Well I hadn't heard that he wants to move to the slot....but if that will make him happy then by all means make it happen.

If that is the case, my hard on for AJ Green just got bigger.

#146 sdot353

sdot353

sdot353

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

Smitty doesn't want to play w/ a QB like Clausen as he gets old (or a rookie).....makes sense.

i agree 100%

#147 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,333 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

Well I hadn't heard that he wants to move to the slot....but if that will make him happy then by all means make it happen.

If that is the case, my hard on for AJ Green just got bigger.

Here's an article from before last season.

http://www.catscratchreader.com/2010/4/2/1401936/panthers-smith-put-me-in-the-slot

#148 AceMan

AceMan

Huddle Vet

• HUDDLER
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

Guys...we can't claim Smith is gonna be a slot receiver and has lost a step next year...

Yet want anything higher than a 4th rounder for him

#149 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,889 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

Clearly a lot of folks forgetting that Smith has said he doesn't want to be a number one receiver anymore.

Add in that bad quarterback play didn't cause his injuries. Nor did it cause him to have as many drops as he did.

The truth is that limited play might actually be the best thing for him. After all, splitting carries is what helps Williams and Stewart remain effective.

Quality over quantity.

#150 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,194 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

LOL @ a #3 WR. Mayyyyyyyyybe a #2 if LaFell or Gettis can prove they are THE man (good luck), or we sign a young FA stud (good luck). He's not tall like Moose when Moose was our #2 but all you have to do is look at Hines Ward. He's older than Smitty, and still gets it done as a #2. If he stays, he'll be just fine if we can get him a good QB (good luck).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.