• This topic is locked This topic is locked
195 replies to this topic

#121 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:34 PM

One thing is for certain. (Well like 98%) If he goes, Green is the pick.

#122 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,668 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

If Smith does stay, there's a good possibility it's in a reduced role, perhaps as a number three. And honestly, that might be for the best.

Much as we all may like him, objectively speaking, he isn't what he once was.

(and basing plans for the season on the idea that he will be is probably a mistake)

#123 riddel

riddel

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

I do not believe this to be true.

I think if Smith is gone, then the Panthers intend to draft Newton or Gabbert, both of which would be a huge mistake. Smith will not WASTE another season playing with a rookie QB and I don't blame him. If they don't find a veteran QB, then Smith is gone, but not because the Panthers don't want him, but because he's already wasted one season with a rookie QB and he only has a few seasons left.

#124 riddel

riddel

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:41 PM

If Smith does stay, there's a good possibility it's in a reduced role, perhaps as a number three. And honestly, that might be for the best.

Much as we all may like him, objectively speaking, he isn't what he once was.

(and basing plans for the season on the idea that he will be is probably a mistake)

Really?

Are you guys all on crack?

Smith had a rookie QB throwing side armed floaters last season and now he's done? He had 1000 yards with a beat down Delhomme in 2009. He is only 31. He has atleast 2-4 more 1000 yard seasons in him.

#125 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,587 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

Anytthing can happen.

Hope he stays a Panther though.

#126 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:05 AM

I doubt that FA will resume before the draft.

#127 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:45 AM

I don't think Smith wanting out or not has anything to do with who we draft. It's going to have more to do with how camp goes and what he sees there I think... assuming there is a camp

#128 sdot353

sdot353

sdot353

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:52 AM

Really?

Are you guys all on crack?

Smith had a rookie QB throwing side armed floaters last season and now he's done? He had 1000 yards with a beat down Delhomme in 2009. He is only 31. He has atleast 2-4 more 1000 yard seasons in him.

i agree i would hate to see steve smith leave:(:(

#129 CAVSS

CAVSS

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:52 AM

I want him to stay but I'll understand if he wants to go to a contender. As long as it isn't the Pats.

#130 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:16 AM

I don't want him going to a NFC South team, or a team we play often. It was bad enough when we played the Bears and Peppers posed after a pick at BOA while our Panthers were being raped. One fan actually said "the only way this could be worse is if a meteorite hit BOA." Well Smith is that meteorite if he goes to our competition in the south. Here's hoping he heads out west, maybe back to Cali.

If Smith has an incentive-laden contract, then he will certainly demand and get a trade. He's losing major money by not producing yards and TDs.

#131 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:53 AM

I don't want them to trade Smitty the same reason I don't want any of our players traded - we just won't get any value for them. Seriously, how much do you think other teams value him? Even Boldin at his best only fetched a 2nd round pick. Moss when he was in a slump was traded for a 4th. I know a lot of people here think Smitty's an elite WR, but the fact of the matter is that his stats just haven't matched up to that in the last 2 years. The best move is simply to keep him. That's how we'll get the most value out of him.

#132 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:51 AM

I don't think Boldin got a 2nd...but I forget what it was. If he did Smitty should be able to get a 2nd, Smitty >>>>> Boldin. Smitty's only a year or two older and he's got more talent and drive in his little finger than Boldin. And Smitty definitely is not more broken down than Boldin....

But the point is moot in my opinion, I won't believe this baseless speculative "trade Smitty" talk until Rivera, Hurney, JR or Smitty himself say he wants out or might be traded. Or his grandma is in the video with two forms of ID.

I don't want them to trade Smitty the same reason I don't want any of our players traded - we just won't get any value for them. Seriously, how much do you think other teams value him? Even Boldin at his best only fetched a 2nd round pick. Moss when he was in a slump was traded for a 4th. I know a lot of people here think Smitty's an elite WR, but the fact of the matter is that his stats just haven't matched up to that in the last 2 years. The best move is simply to keep him. That's how we'll get the most value out of him.

#133 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:55 AM

Boldin got a 3rd, but he was also younger than Smith with a more recent history of Pro Bowl play. Smith hasn't had a real productive season since '08. Even if that's almost entirely due to QB play, it's still going to hurt his trade value.

I'd be happy if we could get a 3rd for him, but it's more realistic that we get a 4th. Perhaps a conditional 3rd based on his performance would be a good idea.

#134 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:58 AM

Oh was it only a 3rd? Thanks for the clarification. Either way, the point remains.

#135 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

I'd be happy if we could get a 3rd for him, but it's more realistic that we get a 4th. Perhaps a conditional 3rd based on his performance would be a good idea.

Anything less than 3 first round picks would not be a good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com