62 replies to this topic

#31 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,426 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

Last night, I watched all the snaps from Gabbert's games against Nevada and Illinois. They were posted over on Cat Scratch Reader.

With all due respect to folks like Mav, I really do not understand how anyone could look at his production, pocket presence, or athleticism, and say he is the best QB in the draft. Maybe these games were atypical, but based on other videos floating around, it doesn't seem likely.

Just don't see it.

#32 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

gabbert winning more than cam? where in high school? Not being the best player on a team that has 2 people who are good enuff to be the number 1 pick i'll take that. Gabbert what has he accomplished? And saying he is more athletic than Cam is the dumbest thing ever posted on the huddle.

#33 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

Of course I disagree because you are wrong but I do think how someone could somehow get to that thought process.

We're not all mentally above average and I don't fault you for that. Thinking that a player shuts down half the field (which I don't think he'll do early) and then saying he's not involved in the play is outrageous. That's like saying Nnamndi doesn't do much during games because no one ever throws at him. It's just crazy talk.

There's no need to get personal, we can't all have your high opinion of yourself. :)

A defensive lineman is in on every play, while a cornerback only gets a chance to make a play when the ball is headed towards his side of the field. Further, on running plays there's no way the cornerback has much of an impact. At least, I haven't seen the cornerback who's known for his run-stuffing prowess.

So, take out half the plays right here. Then you get to the passing game, where again, a great cornerback forces throws to the other side of the field. Or to the slot. Or to the tight end. Or to the outlet running back.

Yes, Nmadi can shut down the opposing team's top wide receiver, and Peterson may be that type of player as well. But a top cornerback can either cover a zone (short or long), or take out a player in man. He simply can't be involved in every defensive play the way that a lineman can. It's the nature of the position.

So while I think that Peterson would be a better selection than Greene, I just don't see where a cornerback would be preferable to a defensive tackle. If Peterson wasn't such a great return man, I doubt he would be in consideration for the top pick at all.

There's a reason why a cornerback has never gone number one. You probably think it's because no GM in history has ever been as wise as you, but I kind of think it's because it's too expensive a pick for the position.

#34 ncmonzta

ncmonzta

CBA=Offer U Can't Refuse

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

Did you really just bring that up? He isn't as good as Gabbert at winning? Interesting.

Gabbert has won more than Newton. A lot more. In fact, Gabbert does more winning with less support than Cam will ever do.

Cam is all hype and when it comes down to it, rode the coattails of his teammates with superior talent to hand him a championship. NFL coaches realize this. Scouts realize this. Most experts realize this. Most importantly Cam realizes this. He knew he wasn't even the top two best players on his own team let alone the field that night and really all season so he tried to score a throw away touchdown so you homers would look at his stats and say "See, LOOK HOW GOOD HE IS!" when reality paints a different picture.

This is the essence that is Cam Newton. It's all about Cam. He didn't care that they were going to win a NC, because in life that doesn't matter. No one really cares about winning national championships in the grand scheme of things but Cam wanted his extra 15 minutes of fame by having 3 TDs and 2 turnovers instead of 2 TDs and 2 turnovers.

Gabbert is more athletic than Cam but chose to focus on being a passer in college and not some "exciting" athlete and he proved it at the combine. He didn't need to throw, everyone knew he was a better passer than Cam but when he ran and proved he was more athletic as well, well that was the first nail in the Cam Newton coffin.

Cam put a few in his own coffin but by and large, Gabbert is burying Cam in this whole process and it's a deep fuking whole.

I would single out the dumbest parts of this post but there would be nothing left.
questions-
Did you really mean to say Gabbert has won more than Cam?
Cam is wrong for having 3 tds instead of 2?
Gabbert is more athletic?
Either you love talking out your ass or like to just piss off people with stupidity or you have the best weed in town. I think it's all three.

#35 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

I've given it out a few times but I'm really torn right now between maybe 3 guys.

I like Dareus, PP7, Green in no particular order yet

You guys who are afraid of Newt are so indecisive. Lol. You guys dont know what you want. Every day its a different guy for #1.

#36 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,484 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

You guys who are afraid of Newt are so indecisive. Lol. You guys dont know what you want. Every day its a different guy for #1.

strangely enough, the Panthers have said the same thing.

hmm. Maybe it's because there is no clear cut #1 in this draft.

#37 Hoenheim

Hoenheim

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

On another note.. man I hope there will still be football next season.:(

#38 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

If we draft Gabbert then I hope it isn't in the first round.

#39 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

It changes because people try to keep an open mind about decisions that are clearly out of their hands and behind closed doors. I am totally comfortable with Newt. He's not my top choice, but I'm easy :)

#40 Hoenheim

Hoenheim

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:11 PM

is that you dog, Beach? haha, my dog would have never let me put shades on him.

#41 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:37 PM

is that you dog, Beach? haha, my dog would have never let me put shades on him.

Nah...but I do have a Golden that's 2. Mugsy is his name and he's awesome.

#42 Hoenheim

Hoenheim

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:55 PM

That's nice.. I had a yellow lab named Hugo, he died a little over a year ago. I had him from 3rd grade until my freshman year of college.

#43 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:22 AM

All they did was replace 'Cam Newton' with 'Blaine Gabbert' - the rest of the article is exactly the same.

#44 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:32 AM

Did this guy seriously try to use Schefter's speculation as a piece of evidence? :shocked:

#45 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:45 AM

Draft Gabbert, start him, and we'll be a lock for Luck. Yes... it's all coming together now...

I think this offseason has finally driven me crazy. We're not drafting Gabbert, he's terrible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com