47 replies to this topic

#1 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,473 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:03 PM

Human growth hormone testing is coming for all NFL players if the league has its way in labor negotiations.

NFL vice president and general counsel Adolpho Birch told FOXSports.com on Thursday that the league is insistent upon HGH testing when a new collective bargaining agreement is reached with the NFL Players Association.

"We want it. We think it's necessary. We're going to ensure that it's done," said Birch, who oversees the NFL's drug-testing program. "That's something very important to us and the integrity of our game. We believe some of the basis for going slowly on it before has been addressed. At this point, it's proper for it to be an active part of our program."

Birch said the NFL had discussed the matter with NFLPA representatives before labor talks ended March 11 and a work stoppage began. An NFLPA source told FOXSports.com that an agreement for HGH testing "would have to be part of settlement discussions with the class," referring to the attorneys representing 10 NFL players in an antitrust lawsuit against the league. The NFLPA decertified as a union before the previous CBA expired in anticipation of an NFL lockout.

Testing for HGH — a performance-enhancing substance barred but not tested for in the NFL's previous drug-testing program — could become a contentious subject among NFLPA members. It also could become a bargaining chip for the NFL in CBA negotiations.

http://msn.foxsports...mone-HGH-032411

ruh-roh

#2 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,933 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

Good.

#3 pantherfan81

pantherfan81

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

I don't care about HGH to be honest. This is only going to create another topic to argue about in the CBA meetings. Now this pushes the CBA from getting done even further IMO.

#4 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

who doesn't want smaller balls?

#5 Stroupe-a-loop

Stroupe-a-loop

SeƱor Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

who doesn't want smaller balls?

I think HGH doesn't give you smaller balls just bigger tumors, but I might be wrong. If it does shrink your testicles, well smaller potatoes just makes the steak look bigger.

#6 njpantherfan

njpantherfan

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

As a former bodybuilder and current powerlifter....I can tell you there is no way to test for HGH since the body produces it naturally. You cant have "elevated levels" of it like testosterone,either. HGH by itself without steroids is minimally effective anyway.. Since it cant be tested for....a majority of olympic participants use it.

#7 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,933 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:49 PM

That was actually a question I had reading the headline.

Is it really going to be possible to reliably test for it?

#8 njpantherfan

njpantherfan

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

Nope. This REALLY makes JR and co look ...well......dumb.

#9 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,933 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

Wouldn't say that. They can go ahead and make an agreement now to allow for testing when it becomes possible to do so.

#10 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • 47,582 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

I think HGH doesn't give you smaller balls just bigger tumors, but I might be wrong. If it does shrink your testicles, well smaller potatoes just makes the steak look bigger.

Balls, tumors...as long as they get cupped.

#11 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,057 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

As a former bodybuilder and current powerlifter....I can tell you there is no way to test for HGH since the body produces it naturally. You cant have "elevated levels" of it like testosterone,either. HGH by itself without steroids is minimally effective anyway.. Since it cant be tested for....a majority of olympic participants use it.

there's also no "standard level" of HGH to test against.

This is dumb as hell.

#12 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,057 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:46 PM

hey njpantherfan tell me some good shoulder strengthening/flexibility exercises

my power ****** is a little tight

also i almost killed myself three days ago doing back jerks and now im scared.

#13 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

• TROLLOLOL
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

also i almost killed myself three days ago doing back jerks and now im scared.

Damn :(

#14 Highlandfire

Highlandfire

There can be only one.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Good.

If they have nothing to hide, they should agree to it no problem. Not agreeing means they know the guys are jacked up and are wanting them to stay that way.

#15 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

Seems you are wrong...

Major League Baseball hopes to test minor leaguers for human growth hormone this year following the suspension of a British rugby player who admitted using the substance.

The United Kingdom Anti-Doping authority announced a two-year ban Monday for British rugby player Terry Newton, saying he was the first athlete suspended for using human growth hormone after testing positive.

WADA director general David Howman said, regarding Newton's positive test and subsequent ban. "It shows the people who say that HGH cannot be detected that it can. The sports people who said it can't be detected are fooling themselves."

source

Some argue that the blood tests are ineffective because they can only detect if it has been taken in the past 48 hrs. But...

A team of scientists from the USA and Italy say they have developed a urine test that detects human growth hormone. The finding is a potential breakthrough in efforts to find a non-invasive way to screen for the performance-enhancing drug that is banned throughout the athletic world.

Dunlap said the test can detect HGH two weeks after an athlete has last used it. Current blood screening for HGH, set to be used again at the Beijing Olympics, can identify HGH 24-48 hours after an athlete's last use.

source

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com