• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:39 AM

Was last year an anomaly for Duke? I mean, this Sweet 16 defeat to an inferior team feels a lot like Sweet 16 drubbings at the hands of Villanova, West Virginia, VCU, LSU in recent years.

#2 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:47 AM

Going to depend entirely on who you ask and/or who answers...

#3 TarPanther9180

TarPanther9180

Ready for football

• HUDDLER
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

I was going to say something like that. I think last year was an anomaly (along with weak NCAA field). They are destined for sweet 16 and that's it.

#4 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:34 PM

I think Arizona is a really impressive team and Duke looked lost at times on the court ever since Irving returned. A combination of those two things resulted in a loss but Duke is the only team in the country to make three straight sweet sixteens currently so I guess the rest of the NCAA is destined for the field of 32.

#5 CatsMeow

CatsMeow

Sweet Soul Sister

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

Hey, that's just the beauty (and heartache) of the NCAA tournament. The Davids have the opportunity to beat the Goliaths, and anything can happen. Any team can be beaten at least one time, and that's all it takes to get knocked out of this. I don't think last year's team was an anomaly. Dook is consistantly good.

#6 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

Was last year an anomaly for Duke? I mean, this Sweet 16 defeat to an inferior team feels a lot like Sweet 16 drubbings at the hands of Villanova, West Virginia, VCU, LSU in recent years.

Of course it was. I think this year's dook team is a lot better than last year's team. Last year's team wasn't the best team in the country, but they won. This year's team was one of the best in the country and they lost in the Sweet 16. I call it karmic retribution for last year.

Just goes to show that you need more than experience and talent...sometimes you've got to have a little luck.

#7 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

I think it is a fair question since the competition was quite weak last year. That being said, the competition was weak for everyone and other one seeds didn't make it far enough.

#8 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Hey, that's just the beauty (and heartache) of the NCAA tournament. The Davids have the opportunity to beat the Goliaths, and anything can happen. Any team can be beaten at least one time, and that's all it takes to get knocked out of this. I don't think last year's team was an anomaly. Dook is consistantly good.

Yep exactly, thats whats so brutal about the tournament, one loss or one off game means an end to your season. Duke is a better team than Arizona, thats just the way it happened.

#9 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

Duke just isn't as good when they leave their little home base of Cameron Indoor, nor are they as good when they play big, strong, athletic, quick teams. They could have gone farther this year, but the match up just wasn't favorable to them.

Duke is interesting. Coach K is the best coach in college currently, and will eventually be the best ever (IMHO). But he really focuses on nabbing smart, team players. That's why so few leave early for the NBA. They're intelligent, ball savvy, and really get the game...but as a whole they're not the most "baller" of squads. Coach K knows exactly how to recruit the right type players to fit his mold and it works well...until he runs into playground players (for a lack of a better term) who simply out muscle his kids.

#10 ThaJackal

ThaJackal

Arschloch

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:31 AM

Duke just isn't as good when they leave their little home base of Cameron Indoor, nor are they as good when they play big, strong, athletic, quick teams. They could have gone farther this year, but the match up just wasn't favorable to them.

Duke is interesting. Coach K is the best coach in college currently, and will eventually be the best ever (IMHO). But he really focuses on nabbing smart, team players. That's why so few leave early for the NBA. They're intelligent, ball savvy, and really get the game...but as a whole they're not the most "baller" of squads. Coach K knows exactly how to recruit the right type players to fit his mold and it works well...until he runs into playground players (for a lack of a better term) who simply out muscle his kids.

Yup, been trying to sell this to my coworkers for the last few years but those shitheads never believe me.

#11 beckersteen

beckersteen

Nihilum

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • LocationConcord

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

I thought everyone has already agreed that last year Duke won due to weak competition.

#12 Panthers128

Panthers128

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

trying to belittle a championship is a bit of a stretch, especially in ncaa basketball where you have to win a lot of games in a row to win it.

there were strong teams last year, they just didn't get the job done. kentucky and kansas had really impressive teams.

also butler has proven to be a stronger team than people thought.

#13 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:48 AM

trying to belittle a championship is a bit of a stretch, especially in ncaa basketball where you have to win a lot of games in a row to win it.

there were strong teams last year, they just didn't get the job done. kentucky and kansas had really impressive teams.

If you guys still had Zoubek, Arizona would've not run you over like that. He played a great role last year.

#14 scarface

scarface

• HUDDLER
  • 3,062 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:08 AM

^ lol, I forgot Zoubek ever existed until I read that. Truly the most forgetable Dookie in history.

#15 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:25 AM

I'm not belittling their championship. I'm just saying that, unlike the old days, it was a rare run for the Dookies. They once made the Final Four in 86, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 and 94. But now Kansas and UNC are the consistent programs and Duke is kind of hit and miss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com