Photo
- - - - -

I'm Going to Laugh...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
161 replies to this topic

#151 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

... when we do take Newton on draft day and all the anti-Cam posters' heads explode because they had honestly convinced themselves it was all a smokescreen.

thats great, too bad being selected is only being selected. Then, you should be more worried that all the guys who are clamoring for him to be the pick live up to expectations. If he does, then it's a win/win for everybody, then hopefully we can be laughing at the stains, falcons and buccs together, our real enemies.

#152 onehellUVAlife

onehellUVAlife

ROOKIE

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

When i watch the NFL i want to see exciting games that are full of action with amazing plays. When i watch both Cam and Gabbert, Cam is the more exciting player to watch, he has the desire to be a star, and im confused to why people think that this is a bad thing? If I was at a Panthers game or watching one on TV i would want to see a player who can not just make good plays but amazing plays and I think Cam could pull this off better than Gabbert

For example I would rather see this:

rather than this:

Sure Gabbert is good, and i would be happy with him if we do choose him, but i just feel like Cam would be more exciting to watch as a fan and he has the potential to be the face of the Panthers. Plus you have to be great to pull this off:
- 2009 NJCAA National Football Champion
- 2010 Heisman trophy winner.
- 2010 SEC Champion
- 2010 SEC Offensive Player of the Year
- 2010 AP Player of the Year
- 2011 BCS National Champion
- 3rd player in college football history to get 20+ rushing and 20+ passing TD in single season (2010)
- 1st SEC player to throw for 2,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards in a single season. (2010)

Edited by onehellUVAlife, 28 March 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#153 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

When i watch the NFL i want to see exciting games that are full of action with amazing plays. When i watch both Cam and Gabbert, Cam is the more exciting player to watch, he has the desire to be a star, and im confused to why people think that this is a bad thing? If I was at a Panthers game or watching one on TV i would want to see a player who can not just make good plays but amazing plays and I think Cam could pull this off better than Gabbert

For example I would rather see this:

rather than this:

Sure Gabbert is good, and i would be happy with him if we do choose him, but i just feel like Cam would be more exciting to watch as a fan and he has the potential to be the face of the Panthers. Plus you have to be great to pull this off:
- 2009 BCS National Champion
- 2009 NJCAA National Football Champion
- 2010 Heisman trophy winner.
- 2010 SEC Champion
- 2010 SEC Offensive Player of the Year
- 2010 AP Player of the Year
- 2011 BCS National Champion
- 3rd player in college football history to get 20+ rushing and 20+ passing TD in single season (2010)
- 1st SEC player to throw for 2,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards in a single season. (2010)

Posted Image

#154 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

- 2009 BCS National Champion

haha oh man... I don't even want to touch this one lest the laptop jokes rear their head again.

okay, look, nobody would say Cam Newton didn't accomplish some great things in college. The problem is that the level of success he had is not indicative of how he'd do in the NFL. Plenty of guys have had amazing college football careers that amounted to nothing in the NFL. While there is a reason that guys like Parcells value a certain minimum of wins, there's also a reason they don't require a national championship.

Cam was electrifying in college. The best player this year by far. But the best player in college football is rarely the best NFL prospect.

#155 onehellUVAlife

onehellUVAlife

ROOKIE

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:52 PM

@teeray im a Panthers fan, wbu?

@mav1234 yea i understand your point, but i guess there is that chance Cam is not like everyone else and could be that star, but only time can tell. He could be amazing or he could suck in the NFL everyone has their own ideas but known of us will know until he actually plays. I just think it would suck if we passed on Cam and he ended up being amazing, then we would regret it, but then again that could happen with any player, right?

Edited by onehellUVAlife, 28 March 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#156 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

Your "all signs point to Mallett" counter-argument is flawed. Nobody considers Mallett to be even a top-10 pick so you assume we're only looking at him to cover all the bases. The only two who are possibilities at QB are Newton & Gabbert.

You've talked to the Panthers scouting department?

Or are you making the same mistake many others are making and assuming that what you hear from draft experts is indicative of what our scouting department thinks?

The two have no connection whatsoever.

Old people don't know how to use the internet

:incazzato:

Edited by Mr Scot, 28 March 2011 - 02:56 PM.

#157 TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal

TROLLOLOL

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

:incazzato:

True story

#158 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

Posted Image

#159 fjblair

fjblair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

Clever thread. Thanks.

#160 rico6

rico6

Shit.

HUDDLER

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:57 PM

This message is hidden because TheRealDeal is on your ignore list.

I feel so sexy.

#161 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

thats great, too bad being selected is only being selected. Then, you should be more worried that all the guys who are clamoring for him to be the pick live up to expectations. If he does, then it's a win/win for everybody, then hopefully we can be laughing at the stains, falcons and buccs together, our real enemies.

I think people expecting a huge reaction from the Anti_newton crowd are going to be disappointed, but then again this board will melt down at the drop of a hat :lol:

It's well-known that I don't think we should draft Newton. Neither do I think we should take Gabbert, Mallett, Locker or any other prospect this year, and I've stated the reasons. Yet somehow Newton is the only one I supposedly "hate". Gimme a break :rolleyes:

Now, if the Panthers do draft Newton, then I'll hope he succeeds. If he ends up somewhere else, then honestly I won't give a rip whether he succeeds or not (except when he plays against us). Ditto any of the other guys. It most definitely won't be the first time I've had to get behind a pick I thought was a mistake. I do it because I'm a Panther fan.

It really is that simple :sosp:

#162 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

HUDDLER

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

I think people expecting a huge reaction from the Anti_newton crowd are going to be disappointed, but then again this board will melt down at the drop of a hat :lol:

It's well-known that I don't think we should draft Newton. Neither do I think we should take Gabbert, Mallett, Locker or any other prospect this year, and I've stated the reasons. Yet somehow Newton is the only one I supposedly "hate". Gimme a break :rolleyes:

Now, if the Panthers do draft Newton, then I'll hope he succeeds. If he ends up somewhere else, then honestly I won't give a rip whether he succeeds or not (except when he plays against us). Ditto any of the other guys. It most definitely won't be the first time I've had to get behind a pick I thought was a mistake. I do it because I'm a Panther fan.

It really is that simple :sosp:

Yea with the exception of just a few guys who are against Cam, most of us with unbiased logic just want who we think are the best players. None of us can prove who is the best prospect at this point, but it's not hard to see that defense is where the top talent of this draft.

Not sure what the OP is trying to get out of this thread other than in a couple years if we draft him and he is successful, he can spend his time sifting thru a bunch of old threads finding anti-cammers and saying ha-ha to them.

It seems to the OP that just drafting Cam is good enough, who cares his success level. I just want the Panthers to be good again, and since moving up to NYC, I havent been able to talk much trash ever since the week 1 last year when I was in an Eagles bar talking then got humiliated.