Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Peterson - Pay for Play

93 posts in this topic

Posted

LOL.

Oh noez PP is teh devil he haz no integrity!

Posted

this is the real reason Luck stayed in school... It was a guaranteed paycheck... lol

2 people like this

Posted

A college player nowadays that knowingly accepts money KNOWS it's "illegal". If they don't...then they probably don't know that smoking is bad for their health too.

You just can't do it.

And if you think a stipend is going to end it...it's not. The "good players" will just get exponentially more than the suckers at the base payscale.

And if you think nothing's wrong with this...and think it should be allowed...then are we ready to just let the big pocket schools dominate all sports? NCAA seems fine with it...as they're proving every day.

Does it effect how I look at PP now...absolutely. This is the first overall pick we're talking about. You don't think Reggie Bush was affected by the USC/Heisman nuttiness?

Posted

So....should NCAA do a SMU treatment again?

Posted

this is the real reason Luck stayed in school... It was a guaranteed paycheck... lol

Posted

Why would an NFL team care about this? Some of these NFL coaches were probably either paid as college players involved with paying players themselves, so they would be hypocrites to hold it against a prospect.

Posted

A college player nowadays that knowingly accepts money KNOWS it's "illegal". If they don't...then they probably don't know that smoking is bad for their health too.

You just can't do it.

And if you think a stipend is going to end it...it's not. The "good players" will just get exponentially more than the suckers at the base payscale.

And if you think nothing's wrong with this...and think it should be allowed...then are we ready to just let the big pocket schools dominate all sports? NCAA seems fine with it...as they're proving every day.

Does it effect how I look at PP now...absolutely. This is the first overall pick we're talking about. You don't think Reggie Bush was affected by the USC/Heisman nuttiness?

it's not illegal.

Posted

I'm one of the people who wanted PP7 #1 overall.. this kind of changes things to me. If the allegations are true, then I'm not sure if I want PP7. My #2 is a tie between Green and Dareus. A shame since he's such an athletic freak. Regardless, We don't fug up on first rounders so I'm happy with whoever (as long as it's not Newton)

Posted

I'm one of the people who wanted PP7 #1 overall.. this kind of changes things to me. If the allegations are true, then I'm not sure if I want PP7. My #2 is a tie between Green and Dareus. A shame since he's such an athletic freak. Regardless, We don't f*ck up on first rounders so I'm happy with whoever (as long as it's not Newton)

Why would this change anything? Whether he took money or not, he is still the same player that he was a week ago and he is gonna get paid in the NFL anyway, so what's the problem?

Posted

I'm one of the people who wanted PP7 #1 overall.. this kind of changes things to me. If the allegations are true, then I'm not sure if I want PP7. My #2 is a tie between Green and Dareus. A shame since he's such an athletic freak. Regardless, We don't fug up on first rounders so I'm happy with whoever (as long as it's not Newton)

Those are GA and Bama boys.....it ain't like the odds favor them not recieving something they shouldn't of either.

Posted

I realize that toast has more moral and ethical fiber than some people on this board, so I don't expect you to get this. Do you want the face of your franchise to be someone who can be bought? Someone who cheats and then lies about it--to the Panthers? Character is important--or haven't you been paying attention.

Just because you think it happens all the time does not mean that everyone does it. You seem to thrive on the risk more than anything else.

If you lied on an interview about your past and the potential employer knew about it and hired you anyway, what signal does that send? No, I don't think successful businesses are run that way. Say it isn't a big deal if you want, but it is. Again, I don't expect everyone to understand this, because not all people value character.

Posted

I realize that toast has more moral and ethical fiber than some people on this board, so I don't expect you to get this. Do you want the face of your franchise to be someone who can be bought? Someone who cheats and then lies about it--to the Panthers? Character is important--or haven't you been paying attention.

Just because you think it happens all the time does not mean that everyone does it. You seem to thrive on the risk more than anything else.

If you lied on an interview about your past and the potential employer knew about it and hired you anyway, what signal does that send? No, I don't think successful businesses are run that way. Say it isn't a big deal if you want, but it is. Again, I don't expect everyone to understand this, because not all people value character.

how many all time greats do you think broke NCAA rules? how many of the games current top tier players broke NCAA rules?

I think it is naive to assume it isn't a very good percentage of guys. If you are going to be a professional sports team then you can't dwell on those things.