Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

Did Nawrocki cross the line?

233 posts in this topic

Lance Zierlein actually confirmed a specific element of the report (always knows where the cameras are) and added that this comment came from someone at Auburn. He said that was one of the points he believed probably wasn't true until an NFL team confirmed it to him.

And if that is all that was reported then it wouldn't have even made a ripple. Honestly who wouldn't get carried away with all the publicity for a guy who a year ago was playing in junior college.

It was the extent of the negative comments far beyond that which drew the controversy.

A pretty significant portion of the draft analysis process as done by anyone is subjective. They don't just sit down and rank everybody by who has the best stats.

I realize that allot of it is subjective to one degree or another, but deciding whether or not someone's smile is genuine seems incredibly subjective to me... did they hook up brain monitors?

On top of that, would it be better for him not to smile when it's appropriate or not be aware that there are cameras in the room? Don't you want the "face of your franchise" to be aware of where the cameras are and play to them to a certain extent?

I think there are some very fair criticisms of Cam as a prospect, but some of this stuff is ridiculous...

2 people like this

I realize the allot of it is subjective, but deciding whether or not someone's smile is genuine seems incredibly subjective to me... did they hook up brain monitors?

On top of that, would it be better for him not to smile when it's appropriate or not be aware that there are cameras in the room? Don't you want the "face of your franchise" to be aware of where the cameras are and play to them?

I think there are some very fair criticisms of Cam as a prospect, but some of this stuff is ridiculous...

Is virginity important? :eek:

(apparently it is to somebody) :sosp:

Zierlein's article addressed why stuff like that is in there...

Rob Rang, Chad Reuter and the guys over at NFLDraftScout.com do a great job of giving readers a look at player evaluations that are very professionally done and give readers great insight into the strengths and weaknesses of players. Draft Scout doesn't, however, won't go too far into the character issues for players. While they hear the stories about players from scouts and personnel people around the league, they usually won't print much of it.

What Nawrocki did (and does) is write up prospects in the same fashion that many NFL scouts write them up, not like other media outlets write them up. Not only do scouts put the focus on their on-field attributes, but they also include anything and everything that they find out about a player that could have a positive or negative effect on the player's draft stock in his own war room. If the scout doesn't do his due diligence on a player, it could end with him getting fired. It's happened plenty of times.

Is virginity important? :eek:

(apparently it is to somebody) :sosp:

Zierlein's article addressed why stuff like that is in there...

It is completely different because the scouts are not making their information public.

How would you like it, if I told everyone in your business that you were a fake, you weren't good at your job, and you would never be able to get the job done. (All without myself having met you). On top of that, they believed me. That is exactly what is happening here and if you would tell me that, that wouldn't upset you then I would most likely not believe you.

Hey Scot, you dodged this one yesterday. What is your opinion of the Gil Brandt article. The one where he actually spent some time with Cam and interviewed several people at Auburn instead of a single source and came away with a much different impression.

Wouldn't you think someone who actually spent time with someone and talked to people at Auburn would have a better perspective and more accurate info?

Why do ypu latch to Nawrocki but ignore Wyche, Brandt, and Yas who says teams are telling them he satisfied them with his responses to his past.

Allot STILL isn't a word.

It is completely different because the scouts are not making their information public.

How would you like it, if I told everyone in your business that you were a fake, you weren't good at your job, and you would never be able to get the job done. (All without myself having met you). On top of that, they believed me. That is exactly what is happening here and if you would tell me that, that wouldn't upset you then I would most likely not believe you.

How would you like to throw millions of dollars of your boss's money at a 22 year old kid without knowing anything about his character?

More importantly, how do you think your boss would feel about it if the guy turned out to be a loser?

These guys are investigated for a reason.

Hey Scot, you dodged this one yesterday. What is your opinion of the Gil Brandt article. The one where he actually spent some time with Cam and interviewed several people at Auburn instead of a single source and came away with a much different impression.

Wouldn't you think someone who actually spent time with someone and talked to people at Auburn would have a better perspective and more accurate info?

Why do ypu latch to Namrocki but ignore Wyche, Brandt, and Yas who says teams are telling them he satisfied them with his responses to his past.

To me it depends on who Brandt talked to at Auburn, staffers and coaches an only gain from inflating Newton's stock.

I'm not hitching my wagon to any one report, I just don't think Cam is anywhere near as mature as he needs to be and I expressed that here before this article came out.

To me it depends on who Brandt talked to at Auburn, staffers and coaches an only gain from inflating Newton's stock.

I'm not hitching my wagon to any one report, I just don't think Cam is anywhere near as mature as he needs to be and I expressed that here before this article came out.

I understand that and that is fair. But we don't know who Nawrocki spoke to either. So that works both ways.

But JOAT has been fair and consistent so I don't have any problems with you. Your reasoning is legit even if I don't agree. :thumbsup:

Why do ypu latch to Nawrocki but ignore Wyche, Brandt, and Yas who says teams are telling them he satisfied them with his responses to his past.

Sorry. Did you say something?

:D

How would you like to throw millions of dollars of your boss's money at a 22 year old kid without knowing anything about his character?

More importantly, how do you think your boss would feel about it if the guy turned out to be a loser?

These guys are investigated for a reason.

The scouts are investigating....And as far as I know, none of them have published personal attacks. Mr. Nolan on the other hand HASN'T even met Cam Newton and he sterotypes Newton into a class that he calls a "fraud" or a "fake" which is totally inappropriate and totally false. He smiles because he enjoys the game and I might actually consider some of his idiotic comments as truth if the Tigers of Auburn didn't win the National Championship. However, someone with a "fake smile", "selfish", "me-first", "enormous ego", "does not command respect from his teammates" will NOT win an NCAA National Championship. On top of that Newton did all of this while being under investigation.

Say what you want, however I know as an Auburn/UNC fan know that Cam is not even remotely close to being as self absorbed as Nowrocki says he is. He plays for the team and sometimes plays for himself, however he also plays for the crowd, which is why he is always smiling.

Nawrocki would tell you he's done "extensive" research, and Zeirlein confirmed that one of the negative statements he had actually came from someone at Auburn.

There's also this from Zeirlein....

I've got a few contacts around the league and they all pretty much agree that Nawrocki is the most tied-in of all the analysts/evaluators out there. Some teams share info with him and he shares some with them. He and I have a few of the same contacts in the league and I know that he gets character evaluations from some of the best scouts in the business.

Bottom line: I respect Brandt, but that doesn't mean I think he's always right (he's whiffed before too). Neither is Nawrocki, but he's also not alone in his feelings about Newton. In reality, they're not even his feelings per se as they are of the people he's talked to.

One of them will be right. The other will be wrong. I'll still read both next season.