Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Scot

Did Nawrocki cross the line?

233 posts in this topic

Quote:

As far as attention is concerned, if you think Nawrocki is seeking attention, you don't know him very well. I've had him on my sports talk show - (once), my NFL Draft show (once) and I've talked shop with him on a few occasions. If anything he shies away from attention. Hell, I never knew what he looked like until last week despite talking to him about the draft over the last three years. Google images? No prayer. I always figured he had some big push-broom Chicago-style mustache based on his voice.

I've given Nolan a chance to come on the radio and push his draft guides in the past and he declines. He's an evaluator and that is it. Hell, check out the video on PFW and you can see how uncomfortable he looks in front of the camera. I do, however, believe that the editors of PFW leaked Nolan's evaluation in order to draw attention to their product. I'm certain that was the case. And it worked. That wouldn't have been Nolan Nawrocki's call.

And this guy is defending Nawrocki because he took the time to get to know him personally. What a novel idea!

If you can believe he's being objective. ;)

Amazing the Nawrocki has had a conference calls and been on 4 diiferent TV shows and a bunch of radio shows this year to peddle his magazine. Doesn't really sou d like a shy guiy.

I'm sure he believes what he wrote but the more time passes the more I have trouble understanding why you'd put in that a guy's smile is fake, even if you believe it. It does sound personal. That's really the one part of it I have trouble with.

Neither did some of his defenders.

The latest on the Moon-Nawrocki debate here (link)

Most isn't especially new, but Florio brings up an interesting point that Moon could, unintentionally, be hurting Newton's prospects.

In the end, the back-and-forth between Moon and Nawrocki won’t matter. If anything, it could potentially hurt Newton, if drafting him means having guys like Moon who’ll be ready to mobilize and criticize the team if there’s a perception that Newton isn’t getting onto the field fast enough or if any eventual failures or shortcomings demonstrated at the NFL level aren’t Newton’s fault.

Think about it — does any coach want to have to worry about someone close to Newton taking Cam’s case to the media if Newton, for whatever reason, doesn’t become a great player?

That’s not a matter of race. That’s a matter of a coach having the ability to run the football team. Since Moon is advising Cam Newton and since Cam has remained silent, it can be assumed that Moon is speaking on Cam’s behalf. So will the team that drafts Cam Newton be required to contend with the possibility of being publicly second-guessed by one of the best quarterbacks of all time?

It’s just another question that any team that considers drafting Cam Newton will have to address before putting his name on the card.

May or may not make a difference to the Panthers (my gut response is that it wouldn't) but it's a valid question.

I think Florio might have mistaken himself for an NFL team. Much like many in the press did with Mallett's press conference. Mallett doesn't answer to the press he answers to the potential employer he is interviewing with.

Of course this is a little bit different and Moon would have served Cam better by just defending Cam instead of attacking Narwocki.

Cam is talking to the people he needs to be talking to. Which is not PFT.

This much I can tell you. Mallett's relationship with the media right now is worse than Newton's.

Newton at least has a split, but you'd have a tough time finding a media guy who doesn't think Mallett is a prick after his Combine performance.

This much I can tell you. Mallett's relationship with the media right now is worse than Newton's.

Newton at least has a split, but you'd have a tough time finding a media guy who doesn't think Mallett is a prick after his Combine performance.

I actually agree with you on that. The only Hugger comment I would make is that Cam is so far in two different directions depending on who you talk to. People either LOVE Newton or HATE him. Don't take that to mean everyone who is anti-Cam is a hater. But they might hate his game but it is two ends of the universe.

I have seen guys with as much scrutiny or criticism as Cam has gotten, I just have never seen two factions SO far apart.

Compare Brandt and his feelings about Cam with Narwocki (or the people he talked to). It isn't even imaginable that they are talking about the same kid. :lol:

I actually agree with you on that. The only Hugger comment I would make is that Cam is so far in two different directions depending on who you talk to. People either LOVE Newton or HATE him. Don't take that to mean everyone who is anti-Cam is a hater. But they might hate his game but it is two ends of the universe.

I have seen guys with as much scrutiny or criticism as Cam has gotten, I just have never seen two factions SO far apart.

Compare Brandt and his feelings about Cam with Narwocki (or the people he talked to). It isn't even imaginable that they are talking about the same kid. :lol:

Which goes back to what I said in the Softli thread.

There are certain people in this world whose personalities affect different people in very different ways. A good friend of mine is one of those types. Some people love him. Others absolutely can't stand him. He doesn't get a lot of middle ground. You either love him or hate him.

And that's just some people. Like I said, could be personality, sense of humor, confidence/arrogance/cockiness, or maybe something just indefinable that rubs some people right and others wrong. Evidence is telling me that's the kind of personality Newton has.

We've actually already got someone like that on roster (hint: he's a receiver) so it wouldn't be a new thing. For that matter, you could argue we've already got a quarterback like that (who also wears #2). History can give you examples of successful guys like that (Marino, Esaiason) and not-so-successful (Carr, Collins). Overall, putting a guy like that in a leadership role is a risk. It's been known to pay off, but it's been known to blow up too.

Mind you, I don't think Mallett's one of those "love him or hate him" guys. I think he's just an ass.

Guy's job is to sell books.

He sold books.

So yeah he did his job.

Anytime a media guy slams a college kid it's a prick thing to do.

I don't know that their sales will be any higher this year than before. It's kind of a "niche" market.

Nobody that wasn't already a colossal draftnik before this is gonna go out and buy this now just to see that review (why bother when it's on the internet?)

Like I said, you don't sell draft previews by being controversial. You sell them by being right.