I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:24 PM

Guy's job is to sell books.
He sold books.
So yeah he did his job.

Anytime a media guy slams a college kid it's a prick thing to do.

#227 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,936 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

I don't know that their sales will be any higher this year than before. It's kind of a "niche" market.

Nobody that wasn't already a colossal draftnik before this is gonna go out and buy this now just to see that review (why bother when it's on the internet?)

Like I said, you don't sell draft previews by being controversial. You sell them by being right.

#228 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but my biggest beef with Nawrocki isn't the things he said. I am sure there were some people that made the comments he put in his piece.

My problem is there is no doubt he also heard the opposite from some decision makers. Why not take a few minutes to talk to Newton personally, to decide first-hand how much weight to put on the negative reports versus the positive ones?

And please don't try to tell us with a straight face that he only heard negative character comments.

#229 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,491 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:00 PM

What makes you think he had the opportunity to talk to Cam at all?

Cam isn't exactly granting many interviews these days, not since the entertainer/icon stuff.

#230 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,936 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

Not to beat a dead horse, but my biggest beef with Nawrocki isn't the things he said. I am sure there were some people that made the comments he put in his piece.

My problem is there is no doubt he also heard the opposite from some decision makers. Why not take a few minutes to talk to Newton personally, to decide first-hand how much weight to put on the negative reports versus the positive ones?

And please don't try to tell us with a straight face that he only heard negative character comments.

You can't talk to all of them when you're writing a book this size.

But to be clear, it's not like he only wrote negative stuff. Here's the "Positives" secton of his review...

Very well-built with big deltoids and a strapping physique. Excellent arm strength — can make difficult throws off-balance while on the move and air out the deep ball, hitting receivers in stride 50 yards downfield. Throws with velocity. Composed in pressure situations and found ways to come through in the clutch. Big, strong, physical runner. Pounds defenders and can push a pile — almost always falls forward. Smooth-striding, fluid-moving athlete. Highly competitive and productive against top Southeastern Conference competition — rose to the occasion against Alabama and Oregon on the biggest of stages. Very savvy — confident, charming and charismatic and can light up a room. Highly competitive and plays with passion.

#231 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,474 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:34 PM

You can't talk to all of them when you're writing a book this size.

But to be clear, it's not like he only wrote negative stuff. Here's the "Positives" secton of his review...

Of course you cannot talk to all of them. But we are talking about someone in the mix for the first pick.

Yes, he did write about a sentence and a half of positive character stuff.

I will leave it at this...given how scathing the negatives were, I think he should have at least talked to the guy before running with it.

#232 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,936 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

Of course you cannot talk to all of them. But we are talking about someone in the mix for the first pick.

Yes, he did write about a sentence and a half of positive character stuff.

I will leave it at this...given how scathing the negatives were, I think he should have at least talked to the guy before running with it.

I get what you're saying, but honestly this is not a new thing.

I've been reading these draft guides for nearly a decade, and there's pretty much always at least one review that makes me go "ouch" :eek:

But like the Zierlein article said, that's the kind of report that scouts give to teams. It can be cold, hard, and impersonal, but that's the nature of the business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com