#151 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,720 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

I am not certain Gantt would say if he had heard about Richardon's reservations. Earlier he said Keep in mind, JR also went on TV and smushed Gantt publicly, so I'm not surprised if he isn't exactly super in the know when it comes to JR.

The thing I don't get here is why someone would make something like this up (not saying it's true, but...)

Why exactly is someone planting a story like this? To keep potential suitors from trading up with us so Cam would fall to them? That is possible, but they'd have to be damn well convinced we don't want him since one would hope Hurney wouldn't be fooled by another team's rumor that JR doesn't want Newton, lol.

The only thing I can think of is that if it's made up, it's because someone is *sure* that Newton isn't the "kind of kid" that JR would like so they're just madly speculating. But Freeman's report sounded like his source was saying something more than that.

If the Panthers want to make it known that they are leaning towards Newton but there still was some debate and possible room to take someone else, they would have to find a way to leave the door open but do it in a way that saves face in the event we don't get our price and pick Newton. Richardson would be a good way to do that.

On the other hand the speculation could be based on Richardson's reputation for staying away from guys with character issues. It may be true or it may be imagined. Either way it would be a good way to keep the reputation intact and account for why we would still pick him.

What I find hard to believe is that he would totally defer to his staff and not have the ultimate say in the pick. On the other hand I don't know if he has deferred with other picks such as Clausen for instance or how involved he actually gets in the decision process.

#152 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,524 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:19 PM

What I find hard to believe is that he would totally defer to his staff and not have the ultimate say in the pick. On the other hand I don't know if he has deferred with other picks such as Clausen for instance or how involved he actually gets in the decision process.

Well, it's true Hurney is deceptive, but I don't know why he would lie when he's said he and Rivera have the ultimate say and that Richardson is deferring to the two of them. This came from either Panthers Pulse or the AM radio show the next day, can't recall which. Was from last week.

#153 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,720 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

Well, it's true Hurney is deceptive, but I don't know why he would lie when he's said he and Rivera have the ultimate say and that Richardson is deferring to the two of them. This came from either Panthers Pulse or the AM radio show the next day, can't recall which. Was from last week.

I expect Hurney does have ultimate say. But most employees would find it hard to go against their boss if they knew that the boss didn't agree with them. It surely puts more pressure on Hurney and Rivera to not screw up. But as you say if you know that Richardson doesn't like character issue guys and Hurney has saiid he and Rivera have the ultimate say based on published remarks, then you could easily make the conclusions that PFW did without talking to anyone.

Am I the only one who thinks that our local guys should have a better sense of this than national writers who rarely get it right?? I would thnk that the local guys would have sources they have cultivated for years.

#154 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:42 PM

I expect Hurney does have ultimate say. But most employees would find it hard to go against their boss if they knew that the boss didn't agree with them. It surely puts more pressure on Hurney and Rivera to not screw up. But as you say if you know that Richardson doesn't like character issue guys and Hurney has saiid he and Rivera have the ultimate say based on published remarks, then you could easily make the conclusions that PFW did without talking to anyone.

Am I the only one who thinks that our local guys should have a better sense of this than national writers who rarely get it right?? I would thnk that the local guys would have sources they have cultivated for years.

Local guys feel good about Cam and the Panthers. But they haven't heard anything or divulged anything since yesterday that is new.

#155 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,524 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:43 PM

Gantt's inside sources are not always reliable, either that or JR is just out of touch. Which is also possible. Either way, it's very possible a national guy may have an inside source that Gantt doesn't when it comes to JR specifically.

#156 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

I wonder if he is piggybacking off of Narwocki's quoted source that Richardson like them clean or something like that?

#157 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,720 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

Gantt's inside sources are not always reliable, either that or JR is just out of touch. Which is also possible. Either way, it's very possible a national guy may have an inside source that Gantt doesn't when it comes to JR specifically.

If that is the case then why have we heard virtually nothing about richardson's opinions for years including things like why he fired his sons or what he and Smith talked about, and suddenly this pops up out of the blue. Seems to me that this would be an unusual issue to surface given the whole CBA thing which he is leading the fight. He didn't even come out and defend himself when he was taken to task for supposedly belittling Brees and Manning.

#158 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:55 PM

If that is the case then why have we heard virtually nothing about richardson's opinions for years including things like why he fired his sons or what he and Smith talked about, and suddenly this pops up out of the blue. Seems to me that this would be an unusual issue to surface given the whole CBA thing which he is leading the fight. He didn't even come out and defend himself when he was taken to task for supposedly belittling Brees and Manning.

I doubt very seriously this is coming straight from the horse's mouth. This is likely coming second hand from someone who is in the room when these conversations happen. Or even just heard it thru the grapevine.

But I doubt (I may be wrong) that this is coming from Richardson or someone super close to him.

#159 Darth Urious

Darth Urious

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:56 PM

I'm not sold on this guy either... why would we want a hockey player with the #1?

Posted Image

#160 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,994 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

I'm not sold on this guy either... why would we want a hockey player with the #1?

Posted Image

I found this guy earlier. He looks just like Blaine Gabbert :lol: long flowing blonde hair. Lol

#161 CarolinaVeins

CarolinaVeins

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:59 PM

Although JR did go on radio and said that Brees/Manning rumor came from someone that wasnt there. But at the same time he neither confirmed or denied it

#162 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,720 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:48 PM

Although JR did go on radio and said that Brees/Manning rumor came from someone that wasnt there. But at the same time he neither confirmed or denied it

Exactly. He tends too be very close mouthed most of the time. I also doubt that someone would leak that JR wasn't sold on him but was leaving it up to Hurney without worrying that there might be repurcussions if it was found out who said it.

Maybe it is me but it seems too convenient coming out as it did.

#163 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,524 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

It's all speculation at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. I also wouldn't be surprised if JR loved him and it was Hurney who wasn't sold we needed a QB from this draft.

Edited by mav1234, 06 April 2011 - 11:58 PM.

#164 antame

antame

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:09 PM

It's all speculation at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. I also wouldn't be surprised if JR loved him and it was Hurney who wasn't sold we needed a QB.

How could anyone who watches NFL football, let alone our GM, need convincing that we need a QB?

#165 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,524 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:58 PM

How could anyone who watches NFL football, let alone our GM, need convincing that we need a QB?

Let me edit my post - needed one of the QBs available in this draft this year :)

Hurney defends Clausen every opportunity he can. He's not stupid enough to go into next season with nobody but him, but Clausen WILL get a chance to win a starting job on this team, no matter who we draft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com