Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurb

GM, Chrysler ask for another $21.6 billion

44 posts in this topic

Break the unions = fix the problem.

The unions aren't the problem. I was in the UAW, but I was no fan of it. The union does have its problems but the real problem with the Big 3 is no innovation in car design and marketing.

I agree, I was being to simplistic.

Lack of innovations + Unions+ idiots running the show = the problem.

I agree, I was being to simplistic.

Lack of innovations + Unions+ idiots running the show = the problem.

Unlike many people that have never worked in a union and know absolutely nothing about it other than what they've read, I understand both sides. The unions have helped bring about safety standards and living standards that would never have been possible without them. On the other hand they have forced some corporations into making bad business decisions...such as the job pool for the UAW, which makes the company pay workers who would have otherwise been laid off. There is really a lot more to it than just a couple of issues. But overall I blame the downfall of the Big 3 to what I pointed out in my previous post. They got lazy. While the Jap's were designing cars with better fuel efficiency and better quality in most cases, the Big 3 kept pumping out the same poo with very little innovation. They have really been making progress in the past couple of years, particularly Ford and GM but it is a case of a little too little, a little too late.

Toyota didn't gain the #1 market share in the auto industry because of lazy car design and poor marketing. They outsmarted Ford, GM, and Chrysler. That's the bottom line.

Lack of innovations

this is a big key. we are in a relationship era of production where everything is about building a brand instead of a product.

Yeah, I really don't get this either. How could the failure of these two companies hurt the economy so bad. Someone in the private sector would pick up the pieces. I like Kurb's idea, just burn the money. Why do they think putting money in these corporations is going to save them?

what's that? GM hasn't innovated a single thing except new door handles for the last twenty years?

fuging UNIONS RAWR

If only we could offer that 10% we spend on union employees as a discount these avalanches would be flying off the shelf!

Yeah, I really don't get this either. How could the failure of these two companies hurt the economy so bad. Someone in the private sector would pick up the pieces. I like Kurb's idea, just burn the money. Why do they think putting money in these corporations is going to save them?

If Chrysler and GM don't make it (don't count out Ford either) then where are all those workers going to go? We already have 7 1/2% unemployment. People are getting laid off left and right and there aren't any jobs out there right now to support these people. I lived in Michigan for a year before I took a buyout from Ford and both state and local governments in Michigan and Ohio are being devastated by this downturn. You've got entire communities depending on these companies for survival. I'm not talking about just the employees of GM and Chrysler either. What about those places of business such as restaurants, bars, supermarkets, etc that serve these people. What about the vendors and suppliers for these companies? Everything from the food service industry, parts suppliers, engineers, IT people...etc. etc. Their revenues will suffer and they'll have to start laying people off. The automobile industry has long been the backbone of the American manufacturing sector and once they go a lot more jobs are going to go with them.

I think it's better long term to have these companies survive.

If only we could offer that 10% we spend on union employees as a discount these avalanches would be flying off the shelf!

You're an idiot. Price isn't the issue. Car design, quality, fuel efficiency, etc...those are the issues.

You're an idiot. Price isn't the issue. Car design, quality, fuel efficiency, etc...those are the issues.

lol i know dipshit. that was obviously sarcasm

Not obvious.

how was this two post series not obvious

what's that? GM hasn't innovated a single thing except new door handles for the last twenty years?

f*ckING UNIONS RAWR

congrats you're as incapable of detecting nuance as you are making intelligent points.

quite a feat on your part.