273 replies to this topic

#61 Ashor

Ashor

Taylor Swift

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

As soon as you said that Cam reminds you of JaMarcus Russell I realized you have no clue what the hell you are talking about so basically your opinion means absolutely nothing. Cam may be a bust but comparing him to Russell is idiotic.

If I was the first person you've ever heard that from, then you are obviously retarded. I was going to make a list of similarities but it has been done already. You are probably just a biased fan because you like Auburn and you are in denial about all the negativity surrounding Cam Newton.

Newton and Russell comparison

#62 Ohio

Ohio

The Wizzard of Wisdom

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:36 PM

Answer my question ashor

#63 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:37 PM

If I was the first person you've ever heard that from, then you are obviously retarded. I was going to make a list of similarities but it has been done already. You are probably just a biased fan because you like Auburn and you are in denial about all the negativity surrounding Cam Newton.

Newton and Russell comparison

...haha, ahh man. nothing like BR as a good source.

almost every one of those comparisons applies not just to Newton and Russell but Russell and any big armed QB coming out of college.

I don't even want Newton and I wouldn't bother with arguing he compares to Russell, because I don't think he does. At all.

#64 Ashor

Ashor

Taylor Swift

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

To me Cam reminds me of The Golden Calf of Bristol. So ask yourself if you were to remove Cam from this years draft and insert The Golden Calf of Bristol, would The Golden Calf of Bristol be the number 1 pick in this years draft. If you answer yes, then you validate one thing: Just how weak this QB class is.

I think that is exactly right. I feel as though The Golden Calf of Bristol had twice the success in college than Newton had but The Golden Calf of Bristol was a late first round pick. If Newton is projected to be a top overall pick, why was The Golden Calf of Bristol not as well? They're essentially the same type of quarterback with almost identical numbers in passing and rushing yards. What makes Newton so different than The Golden Calf of Bristol?

#65 KaseKlosed

KaseKlosed

@CMackMost

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

Rodgers takes off more than any QB in the league outside of Vick. You guys try to downplay all the rushing yards he picks up because he kills your "only stiff pocket passers win Super Bowls theories". Rodgers is a running QB in a WCO.

Posted Image

Rush Attempts 64 Rush yards 356 Rush avg 5.6

Posted Image

Rush Attempts 68 Rush yards 364 Rush avg 5.4

Posted Image

Rush Attempts 56 Rush yards 144 Rush Avg 2.6

#66 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

I think that is exactly right. I feel as though The Golden Calf of Bristol had twice the success in college than Newton had but The Golden Calf of Bristol was a late first round pick. If Newton is projected to be a top overall pick, why was The Golden Calf of Bristol not as well? They're essentially the same type of quarterback with almost identical numbers in passing and rushing yards. What makes Newton so different than The Golden Calf of Bristol?

The Golden Calf of Bristol cam out in a better qb class for 1. next we vist The Golden Calf of Bristol's awful throwing motion and footwook. some(mel kiper) projected him as a H back. The Golden Calf of Bristol has pretty good arm strength,cam has great. The Golden Calf of Bristol runs with power(ran a 4.7 40) cam runs with power and decent speed(4.56).

I think cam is even more accurate than The Golden Calf of Bristol coming out as bad as that might seem,cam is just a all around better qb prospect than The Golden Calf of Bristol.

#67 Ashor

Ashor

Taylor Swift

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

Steve Young was not a pure passer, and so isn't Big Ben. So how do you figure?

Steve Young and Ben Roethlisberger aren't running quarterbacks like Cam Newton either. Steve Young ran the ball for an average of 50 times a year, Ben averages 30 attempts a year. On the other hand, Newton has an average of 25 a game. Difference is those two guys didn't rely on their rushing for yards and touchdowns, they just scramble to get out of trouble but throw the ball. If Cam is out of the pocket there is a small chance he is going to throw it.

#68 Ashor

Ashor

Taylor Swift

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

Posted Image

Rush Attempts 64 Rush yards 356 Rush avg 5.6

Posted Image

Rush Attempts 68 Rush yards 364 Rush avg 5.4

Posted Image

Rush Attempts 56 Rush yards 144 Rush Avg 2.6

Newton ran it 25 times a game on average.

#69 Ashor

Ashor

Taylor Swift

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

Not to mention that our franchise rarely if ever drafts quarterbacks and especially in the first round. Clausen fell in our laps in the 2nd round but before that, our highest drafted quarterback was something like Kerry Collins back in 1956.

#70 KaseKlosed

KaseKlosed

@CMackMost

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

Cam Newton's passer rating... The highest in NCAA history at 188.5.
:ee:

#71 Ashor

Ashor

Taylor Swift

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hey Ashor, I want Taylor Swift. Wonder how she would transition from the cowgirl to the face down ass up position?

Do not talk about my woman.

#72 Ashor

Ashor

Taylor Swift

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:56 PM

Cam Newton's passer rating... The highest in NCAA history at 188.5.
:ee:

How different were his stats from those of The Golden Calf of Bristol's or JaMarcus Russell's? Not at all. In fact, in 2007 The Golden Calf of Bristol had a better passing year in every category than Newton and still had a lower rating so suck it.

#73 Ashor

Ashor

Taylor Swift

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

Newton is a running back that can throw. The threat of him running the ball is what makes him "good" and that is not what wins Super Bowls.

#74 KaseKlosed

KaseKlosed

@CMackMost

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

Not to mention that our franchise rarely if ever drafts quarterbacks and especially in the first round. Clausen fell in our laps in the 2nd round but before that, our highest drafted quarterback was something like Kerry Collins back in 1956.

Against the blitz Newton completed 67.6 percent of his pocket throws for 14 touchdowns and three interceptions.
Newton completed 73.5 percent of his passes last season against the blitz in conference games. He threw five touchdowns and did not throw an interception

the best quarterbacks in the NFL are usually the best at handling the blitz. In 2010, for example, here were the top seven NFL quarterbacks against the blitz based on passer rating:

1. Tom Brady

2. Tony Romo

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Matt Cassel

5. Josh Freeman

6. Ben Roethlisberger

7. Matt Ryan

http://espn.go.com/b...with-cam-newton

#75 KaseKlosed

KaseKlosed

@CMackMost

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

Newton is a running back that can throw. The threat of him running the ball is what makes him "good" and that is not what wins Super Bowls.

Myth 82759237471: Cam Newton Does Not Have a lot of Playing Experience

To say it simply this is true. Newton only has one season of starting experience in D-1 football. But to say that he doesn’t have experience is ridiculous. Newton committed to Florida and got a few snaps in both is freshman and sophomore seasons, but the important thing to understand is that he got experience behind The Golden Calf of Bristol while learning and developing.

He transferred to Blinn Junior College for his RS Sophomore season where he threw for 2,833 yards and 22 TD’s while leading his team to the NJCAA Championship. He would transfer to Auburn University where he played and won 14-games on an SEC schedule in route to the NCAA Championship with 2,854 passing yards, 30 touchdowns, a 66% completion rate, 10.2 YPA and only 7 interceptions. To say that he doesn’t have experience isn’t fair. Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, and Sam Bradford all had two real actual full seasons (Locker a little more), and Newton won two different championships in his time.

Myth 203294823420: Cam Newton Isn’t Accurate

This is one of the harder bits to swallow. Jake Locker isn’t accurate, Blaine Gabbert isn’t accurate (given the short routes he ran), but Newton is accurate. Newton can hit any throw in the world, and he has a very good short and intermediate accuracy, and his deep accuracy is decent. With a 66% completion rate in 2010 it is completely unfair to say that he isn’t accurate. He also only threw seven interceptions this season, so to say that his passes are throw sloppily also isn’t fair given that his decision making skills are fairly solid.

Myth 5320498230420: Cam Newton Played in a Goofy Offense

This is such a dumb argument. Sam Bradford, The Golden Calf of Bristol, Blaine Gabbert, and Colt McCoy all played in the spread. Late rising QB Colin Kaepernick played in about the goofiest offense in football. Ryan Mallett played in an offense where it seemed like 2/3 of his throws were on a bootleg. Jake Locker started in the spread offense and might not be 100% out of it. The fact is that in today’s day and age there are more quarterbacks from the spread, and teams know how to sort through it.

Myth 6092384023840248: His mobility Means Nothing for the Pro Game

This is half true. Newton cannot expect to run for 16 touchdowns each year, and nobody will. He is a great runner and he can make moves, and he will be expected to makes moves when he can or when he needs to. He has a top notch pocket presence and he needs to find out how to properly use it in the NFL.

When you look at Cam Newton on paper you may see just a very athletic quarterback without much experience who has some flaws that won’t let his succeed. I personally see all of his flaws are either over-criticisms or issues that have been blown out of proportion. Newton has the most potential in a QB that we have possibly ever seen and he has the confidence and winning potential that teams love. Some will see him as a criminal, as an athlete, or as the next Vince Young, but I see him as his own prospect. Newton right now is a cleaner quarterback than The Golden Calf of Bristol, Vince Young, or JaMarcus Russell ever have been, and I love him as a prospect in this draft.

http://www.draftmaven.com/blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com