76 replies to this topic

#46 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,787 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

this thread wasn't posted to debate the creation of the universe, but merely pose the question that how can anyone devote their life to a religion that requires faith in a set code that explains how everything works? this is limited to religions like christianity, islam, judaism and hinduism. of course there are millions of other small creeds floating around, and sects of the major religions, but the above religions cover a large majority of the earth.

my point is we're so high on ourselves and our self awareness and ability to learn things about the world that we haven't stopped to realize how dumb we really are. i wish a super-intelligent alien would come visit earth, a peaceful alien, and show us what's what. debunk all the world religions, unite humanity, and usher in a new age of peace and prosperity. (side note - why are all movie aliens violent conquering crusaders? except in star trek?)

that brings up another point - who's to say that if aliens from a faraway part of the galaxy found earth, that they wouldn't look at it like earth had a bad sickness or something? that humans are a virus that is spreading, faster and faster, until the earth is used up. maybe we aren't so special - why do all religions make humans out to be these special creations?? maybe we're just big water bags covered in decaying organic matter destined to have a short blip of a meaningless life and then return to the nothingness we all experienced before our birth. wasn't so bad - i can't remember it?

What really gets me is that in every facet of our lives we try to use as little faith as possible. When I make a decision, I try to get good evidence to help base that decision on. If I were on trial in court for murder, I'd want the jury and judge to base the verdict on empirical evidence. In life we require and expect empirical evidence in our everyday lives. Except when it comes to religion which is the philosophical foundation people build their beliefs and life upon. Suddenly faith becomes a virtue. Sorry but when it comes down to my fundamental beliefs, I'm not going to change my epistemology. And I don't understand why others suddenly do.

Edited by Cat, 12 April 2011 - 11:34 AM.

#47 Darth Urious

Darth Urious

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

if a benevolent species of extraterrestrial makes an appearance on this planet, the world's religious folk will have denounced them as a demonic presence... especially if they debunk all said religions...

#48 Starscream

Starscream

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationLaurinburg, NC

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:03 PM

(side note - why are all movie aliens violent conquering crusaders? except in star trek?)

The Day the Earth Stood Still (the original version) had peaceful (somewhat) aliens. Yes, they came to destroy Earth, but only if they didn't catch on and clean up their act.

#49 tattoorhino

tattoorhino

Follower of Christ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

We could debate this all day long and really and truly NO one on here is gonna change what they believe. There are several great scientists and philosophers that are alot smarter than most of us and have the same christian belief that I hold dear. Its really a personal choice and some people will find every thing they can to prove or disprove something by someone else opinion.
The one thing that you cant change no matter who you quote, no matter who the famous person with all the answers tell you, you cannot take away from me the way I have seen God show up. Ive seen a bucket of soup fill itself in 20 degree weather when it should have been empty and 50 more people got fed. Ive seen him put $80.00 in my empty wallet in Africa just so I could give it away to a needy family. Ive seen a group that I was included in pray for healing this weekend and see it happen, I have so many other ways in my life that I have seen the God I believe in show up. I have seen families that have hated each other for years come to restoration because of prayer. if we are nothing but DNA why do anything good? If our DNA is programed to only survive why not abort every child we know ids gonna be born with a defect? Why not molest children, murder, rape to make sure only the strong survive. Love and compassion isnt something that comes from DNA, it comes from a higher power that showed us what love was in the first place when he created this beautiful world. If you dont think evil exists then you havent looked into the eyes of a 3 year old in India who has been sold night after night for the last year for sex to men that come to the area just for that. Is that just our DNA that tells us its ok to do something like that?
The reason I believe in God is because of everything HE has done in my own life and no one can ever change that. Pstall you knew when you posted what you did it wasnt going to make any difference and its really sad the extremes people will go to and believe to keep from believing something else that changes every year in theory. I hope and pray some of you will feel the presence of God in your lives and then I assure you there wont be any doubt. Until then Go Panthers.

#50 Matt Moore

Matt Moore

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:22 PM

well this thread just got a little "crazy"

#51 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,074 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

there goes another dolphin death. thanks Matt Moore

#52 tight lines

tight lines

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:29 PM

People don't worship me as an all-powerful, benevolent god .

Must be nice :P

#53 Matt Moore

Matt Moore

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:30 PM

there goes another dolphin death. thanks Matt Moore

huh?

#54 tattoorhino

tattoorhino

Follower of Christ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:33 PM

I just wonder how many atheist and agnostic groups are on the ground in Japan right now making a difference? I wonder how many showed up in Haiti? I wonder how many are actually in Africa helping to build wells and grow food to help make a difference? I know alot of people that believe in Christ that are. Atheists are to busy trying to disprove and make fun of good christian (real followers of Christ not the ones sitting in the pews condemning everyone who doesn't look or act like they do and have never touched a person life with the true love of Christ)people that are out there making the difference in peoples lives.

#55 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

Dear God, please send me $80 and some chicken soup. Amen.

KTHXBYE

#56 tattoorhino

tattoorhino

Follower of Christ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:35 PM

Whats your address?

#57 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

Whats your address?

God should know. I haven't moved recently. :D

#58 tattoorhino

tattoorhino

Follower of Christ

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

See God just answered your prayer through me and you blew it. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

#59 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:41 PM

See God just answered your prayer through me and you blew it. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Exactly. Acts done in the name of God do not mean that they were acts done by God.

#60 Matt Moore

Matt Moore

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:41 PM

Dear God, please send me $80 and some chicken soup. Amen.

KTHXBYE

No atheist can explain that one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com