Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cantrell

States rights

109 posts in this topic

The southern states laid it out pretty clearly in their declarations of succession. South Carolina mentioned slavery over 80 times in theirs.

NC didn't mention it once...

AN ORDINANCE to dissolve the union between the State of North Carolina and the other States united with her, under the compact of government entitled "The Constitution of the United States."

We, the people of the State of North Carolina in convention assembled, do declare and ordain, and it is hereby declared and ordained, That the ordinance adopted by the State of North Carolina in the convention of 1789, whereby the Constitution of the United States was ratified and adopted, and also all acts and parts of acts of the General Assembly ratifying and adopting amendments to the said Constitution, are hereby repealed, rescinded, and abrogated.

We do further declare and ordain, That the union now subsisting between the State of North Carolina and the other States, under the title of the United States of America, is hereby dissolved, and that the State of North Carolina is in full possession and exercise of all those rights of sovereignty which belong and appertain to a free and independent State.

Done in convention at the city of Raleigh, this the 20th day of May, in the year of our Lord 1861, and in the eighty-fifth year of the independence of said State.

Want me to throw a "*****" in there somewhere to make you all feel better or something?

As I am typing this, I am watching Stevie Ray Vaughn and Albert King on my DVR... Man, that ***** can play the blues...

seceed

I've said before that the documentation my family has about my own Civil War ancestors is that none of them owned slaves at all... One died at Gettysburg and one died after he got home... Others we aren't so sure of, yet.

Slavery was certainly an issue for southerners, but it wasn't the main one... To me, saying it was is basically like saying the whole Civil Rights movement was mainly because Rosa Parks couldn't sit at the front of a bus...

To me and apparently my family, at least, it was about being opposed to a federal government telling the states what to do with their land and their peoples...

uh, this doesn't really dispute that the primary cause of the war was slavery. yes, the majority of the people who fought were poor people who either

a) felt like their home was being invaded (it was, and rightfully so) or

b) wanted to protect the institution of slavery so that they would never have to worry about comprising the under class themselves or

c) longed to fight to the death for the richest of the rich in the hopes that they may too one day reach that point on the backs of slaves (replace "slaves" with "the poor" and you have the modern day republican party)

that being said, the south seceded over slavery. the comparison i posted between the two constitutions shows that little was done in the way of "states rights", other than the "right" to own people.

The issue of slavery directly led to secession. Secession led to the Civil War. So yes, slavery caused/led to the civil war.

No, individual soldiers weren't fighting to keep their slaves, but how does that change anything?

this

the confederate constitution that they were all about sure did

to own people.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/12/civil-war-still-divides-americans/?hpt=C1

hmm

~vice president of the confederacy

http://civilwarwiki.net/wiki/Alexander_H._Stephens%27_Cornerstone_Address

then there's this comparison of the constitution and the confederate constitution: http://www.filibustercartoons.com/CSA.htm

are you one of the 25% of americans, or 40% of white southerners, who sympathize with the confederacy? one of the 42% who believes that slavery was not the main reason for secession? what say you?

Well...

When people learn to do real research about history instead of believing every white-washed textbook the government pushes, then they'll learn that there was a major economic choke-hold (Morrill Tariff caused the south to lose 25% of it's exports) put on the South by the North to fund the almost bankrupt North and it's industrial revolution. People somehow have the notion that every household in the South had a gigantic plantation and a hoard of slaves.

If you think poor Southerners (the vast majority of the Southern Army) went to war and died for some rich @sshole's slaves...now who's being naive? Lincoln was surrounded by racists in his cabinet and his generals; the most well-known was Sherman and Grant. Any historian will tell you that.

3 people like this

Well...

When people learn to do real research about history instead of believing every white-washed textbook the government pushes, then they'll learn that there was a major economic choke-hold (Morrill Tariff caused the south to lose 25% of it's exports) put on the South by the North to fund the almost bankrupt North and it's industrial revolution. People somehow have the notion that every household in the South had a gigantic plantation and a hoard of slaves.

If you think poor Southerners (the vast majority of the Southern Army) went to war and died for some rich @sshole's slaves...now who's being naive? Lincoln was surrounded by racists in his cabinet and his generals; the most well-known was Sherman and Grant. Any historian will tell you that.

A-fugging-men

So...

being racist = supporting slavery

http://history1800s.about.com/od/civilwar/f/morill-tariff-civil-war.htm

Seven of the states that would form the Confederacy seceded from the Union between December 1860 and February 1861, before the passage of the Morrill Tariff. Four more states would secede following the attack on Fort Sumter in April 1861.

While mentions of tariffs and taxation can be found within the various declarations of secession, it would be quite a stretch to say that the issue of tariffs, and specifically the Morrill Tariff, was the "real cause" of the Civil War.

fail

That's just what they want you to think. Sheeple.

So...

being racist = supporting slavery

Being poor and Southern does not equal supporting slavery

Nor does it necessarily equal being racist today