Photo
- - - - -

States rights

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
108 replies to this topic

#106 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

SUPPORTER

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:50 PM

Its just more Southern whining about the terribleness of it all and how the common Southern 19 year old male, although uneducated and mostly illiterate, came to hate tariff laws.

#107 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:04 AM

It was about economics and states' rights, with slavery as the driving force. The North wanted to outlaw slavery. The South felt it had the right to do what it took to compete. The North wanted to force the issue. The South, in turn, wanted independence.

You make it sound like everyone in the South wanted to die simply for the right to own slaves. It was more about "mind your own business you have your own problems up there". You have to think like a person living in 1860 instead of 2011. The country was only 84 years old and still undefined. Most people spent their entire lives never venturing more than a couple hundred miles from their home.

When it was over, the ends justified the means. But to paint it as good guy vs. bad guy is simply revisionist history.

lol, wow, ok. somehow this:

yeah, the people were fighting for their homes because their stupid fuging leaders and the slave-owning rich brought the war to their doorstep.

equals

You make it sound like everyone in the South wanted to die simply for the right to own slaves.

k

But to paint it as good guy vs. bad guy is simply revisionist history.

hmm, yeah, both sides are bad. i mean one side was fighting to preserve the union while taking gradual steps to eliminate slavery (yes i'm aware that slavery still existed so let's not waste time with "gotcha" posts about northern slavery) while the other side drafted a constitution that deliberately entrenched slavery after realizing that slavery might not be around very much longer. yes, both sides are bad but if there had to be a good side then it was clearly those noble confederates.

My question is, were the blacks that sold their own people to the white man considered racists?

oh, hey, it's cptx. just in time for another totally irrelevant, racism-tinged non-point.

Are people really still bitching about slavery in america?

are people really still sympathizing with the goddamn confederacy in america?

Its just more Southern whining about the terribleness of it all and how the common Southern 19 year old male, although uneducated and mostly illiterate, came to hate tariff laws.

lol

#108 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

HUDDLER

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:39 AM

I'm glad Jefferson never met Cantrell. Freedom of Speech would have never entered his mind.

#109 Chimera

Chimera

Not Bant

HUDDLER

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:07 AM

I'm glad Jefferson never met Cantrell. Freedom of Speech would have never entered his mind.

Posted Image