Photo
- - - - -

PC Advice needed, Please!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 PackCat

PackCat

ROOKIE

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:11 PM

I am looking for a GREAT Desktop! The one I have now is 8 years old, a Gateway that has been upgraded as much as it can!

I want something that will last me that long again. I need speed and storage where it will not store up and make it slow.

Advice????

Price is a concern looking under $1,000, if possible. I have a Monitor, just need the tower.

#2 dcarolina187

dcarolina187

ROOKIE

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Well, if your Gateway has lasted you that long might want to get a new Gateway but if you want different name brand computer i have a Compaq an mine is around 7 years old an it still runs like its new it's very fast i watch movies an download songs everyday an it anit slow down a bit

#3 PackCat

PackCat

ROOKIE

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

My Gateway was custom made, they do not do that anymore. I did not think they were the same buying at Best Buy or a place like that??

#4 Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ

Huddle Pit Master

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

Save yourself some money and build one. You can get twice the machine for the same price you would pay for a gateway.

let me know if you need some help. I just built mine 3 weeks ago for under $800 and it's a gaming rig.

#5 PackCat

PackCat

ROOKIE

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

Save yourself some money and build one. You can get twice the machine for the same price you would pay for a gateway.

let me know if you need some help. I just built mine 3 weeks ago for under $800 and it's a gaming rig.

What site did you go to? I would love the help. I just know that I want fast and to last long!! As far as specs I am clueless!

#6 Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ

Huddle Pit Master

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

I bought every part at newegg.com

Some specs of my system.
MSI K9a2 platinum motherboard
AMD 9950 quadcore processor with a huge cpu fan from freezer extreme
ATI 4870 video card
4 gig OCZ Reaper memory
Vista premium
2 hard drives

Thing you have to think about is if you want an Intel or AMD processor then go from there.
I like AMD since I game a good bit and they are cheaper compared to the intel units.

#7 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

My HP is 7 years old and running just fine. I've upgraded the power supply, graphics card & put in a 2nd hard drive. If you're concerned about storage, consider an external HD.

#8 natty

natty

HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:45 PM

What site did you go to? I would love the help. I just know that I want fast and to last long!! As far as specs I am clueless!

If you don't know how to build your own computer I'd just get a dell. Something like this is a good buy imo.

#9 Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ

Huddle Pit Master

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

If you can put a bookshelf or piece of furniture together you can put a pc together.

Getting a Dell or Gateway is a crap shoot. Both companies are terrilble on customer service and the parts they put in their computers. I had a gateway back a few years ago and it was nothing but problems from day 1, it's the reason I learned how to put one together myself.

#10 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

HUDDLER

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:53 AM

No to Compaq, No to HP, no to Gateway.

If you want one of those off-the-shelf PC's, get a Dell or a Acer. I've bought 25-30 Acers at my work (off pcconnection.com) and we've only had 1 bad CDROM. Keep in mind our employees use these PC's 8-10 hours a day, for the last 5 years. They aren't heavy in graphics though.

Building it yourself is the best bet, for sure.