• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 CarolinaNut

CarolinaNut

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

can someone post a link when they put one up?

#17 pantherfan81

pantherfan81

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

so basically we know absolutely nothing new.

Yep that's what I got from this & they earlier Rivera interview. Mort's podcast was the most fun to listen to. They actually debated.

#18 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,468 posts

It has nothing to do with love.

#19 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,468 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:39 PM

What a stupid fuging question. The Bobcats will never contend for an NBA title the way the NBA is structured right now. Even if it takes us 5+ years to rebuild the Bobcats will be in the same spot.

#20 Millions

Millions

#ThankYouBasedCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, N.C.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:48 PM

Same ol sh1t bring on the damn draft..

As far as talking up Clausen/Moore they're doing what you suppose to do you don't throw players under contract under the bus. Just to kill whatever confidence they have left after a sub par season. IMO just not a smart thing to put out there to the media for various reasons trades/confidence/tension etc. I think Moore will play that "vet" role so I do think he will be here.

#21 Sword

Sword

Ninja Pirate

• HUDDLER
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

trying there darndest not to tip their hand

#22 Clicheking

Clicheking

Mack of the year

• HUDDLER
  • 3,127 posts
  • Location910

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

Anything noteworthy that they said?

#23 CarolinaNut

CarolinaNut

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

where can you find the podcast?

#24 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

Should be up at http://www.wbt.com/listen/index.aspx

Will transcribe shortly.

#25 CarolinaNut

CarolinaNut

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

i'm listening to it now...these guys will not tip their hand at all...i have no fuggin clue who we're taking

#26 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

i'm listening to it now...these guys will not tip their hand at all...i have no fuggin clue who we're taking

That's how it always is, and exactly how these go.

I still love listening to them. Dunno. I'm an addict I guess.

#27 CarolinaNut

CarolinaNut

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

That's how it always is, and exactly how these go.

I still love listening to them. Dunno. I'm an addict I guess.

i'm the same...love to listen and see if just something slips out but truthfully nothing they say really gives you hint as to what they are thinking b/c they say the same stuff over and over

#28 Icege

Icege

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:57 PM

Should be up at http://www.wbt.com/listen/index.aspx

Will transcribe shortly.

*readies pie + rep*

#29 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,506 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:20 PM

John Hancock(I think): So who is it?
Hurney: Sitting next to me?

JH: We'll get to him in a minute! Give me 2-3 names (referring to the #1 pick).
H: I'd have to give you 5-7.

JH: Ok! Go for it! (Bit of laughing) Who's called about a trade?
H: Nobody yet, but it should start in about a week as far as people calling up having scouts call scouts. A lot of general conversations early, then you start getting serious calls 2-3 days before.

JH: Do agents ever lobby for players?
H: Not usual... Agents do call and ask how their clients visit went... More interested in how the player might go, helps them manage players expectations.

JH: Gentleman to your right... want me to introduce him or should you?
H: You can.

JH: Welcome to Ron Rivera. No idea you were coming - when Marty gets to his 90 day review it's going to be bad since he doesn't tell me who is coming.
Ron Rivera: Didn't know I was coming either.

JH: Just yanked you out?
RR: Asked me this morning.

JH: Active in the Hope Foundation - first time we've chatted, it's nice to have you here. Interviewed a number of places, was it fate to end up here?
RR: I do, I do. More about timing and fit. First time I was interviewed while I wasn't in the playoffs. Secondly, fit being that they were looking for a defensive minded head coach. Fate really just fell into place.

JH: Talking to both you guys off the air... What's the difference for you from coordinator to head coach?
RR: So much more to be involved with... Different areas you have to look into it... When I was a coordinator, was there for 3-4 days, as a HC you are there all 7 days... watched kickers workout, never had to do that... Time investment. Greater appreciation for Hurney & scouts. Whereas as a coach, it's more a 4-5 week process, for these guys it's an all year process.

JH: Is the analysis of the draft - you had to pick an entire staff, is that more intense than the draft, or both equal? both very important.
RR: Both fairly equal; both serves a purpose for you. One puts guys close to you who prepare players and second gets you the players. Putting a staff together is something you can't prepare yourself for as an assistant. Everything in the draft, you have to be more thorough, go into more depth, most different thing you have to do.

JH: I know what writers say - what does team need most?
RR: It's several areas you have to sit back at and look at. You have to talk about what you have here first and foremost. IN terms of our defensive line, I like our ends, but there is a GLARING NEED for big body inside. Good group of guys, but have to add depth to linebackers. Defensive backs have to re-energized... Line our young safeties. For offense, have to get Otah back on football field, really help return this offense to the point where 2 years ago we had 2 guys run for 1k yards. Like the receiving corp, young guys who contributed a lot, Smith does good things. Have to identify one guy at Tight End that can finish. Running back... 2 guys who rushed for over 1k yards, so you saw what we have there. Then the trigger man... Is that guy that can pull the trigger in the draft? Is he on the roster? Is he in FA?
MH: Ron says all that... and you know, one of the biggest differences is that he hasn't had a chance to meet with our team yet after 3 months.. our coaches haven't met our players... and that's the biggest differences this year... They've done a great job of watching tape and evaluating players... Going over and telling us what qualities they are looking for at each position... Haven't had a chance to see our players at an extra mini camp that we would have had or sit down and meet with them at this point. Biggest differences.

JH: Can't talk to but know FAs... are those discussions taking place among you? The minute CBA ends, are there people you will call immediately?
RR: Most certainly but when I got here we sat down with coaches, Marty, Don Gregory... went over what immediate needs would be as far as draft... then went to Mark Coontz (sp) and coordinators/Hurney and went over OUR players we have to get taken care of first... then go out in other areas of football.

JH: Just took a team over who was 2-14... Put TD and Otah back on field... Not as 2-14 as it looked.
RR: That was a hard team for the players - it was a better team than 2-14. Players believe that. Fans believe that. Fans showed up despite bad team. Support from community and fan base. On the other hand, we HAVE to be able to put a better product on the field, we have to add to it, through draft and FA, so we can put the product out that fans deserve to have.

JH: Talk to me about what you know about Clausen. Hurney talks about Clausen whenever we talk QBs. Did he get a rough deal? Just came from some place QB wasn't a problem.
RR: Rivers is a quality football player - he's better than that, a fine person. Having watched Jimmy, watched the tape - was disappointing in terms of MORE than just Jimmy. People wanted to beat him up, but when you really break it up, dive into it, that young man did not get the support he deserved or needed. He was a rookie, a young rookie last year. I looked at his college tape, and there is some VERY good college tape. This is a rookie. A junior rookie coming out. The thing we have to look at - what can Jimmy do for us? Where can he fit for us? I think he can help us, fit for us.
MH: Rivers had a chance to sit for 2 years. Rodgers just sat. That time is invaluable. We had hoped Matt Moore wouldn't get hurt. Matt had a chance to do some things last year as well but he got hurt... he finished previous season on a high note and we had confidence he could play well but he got hurt and Jimmy went in and you know... People look at Ryan/Flacco/Big Ben... stepped as rookies but came into situation where everything around them was pretty good and things were going right. Be careful about negatively evaluating individuals when the whole goes wrong. Lots of reasons last year we weren't as successful as we wanted to be.

JH: Most important position on the field?
MH: Yes. QB league.

JH: If not 100% sure, and there's talent... have to take a look?
MH: Yes, and I've said that - when you're up here and you do not have an established QB who has successfully for you over a period of time of recent years, you DO have to look at the quarterback spot... Not saying anything about Clausen or Moore or Pike, it's about where we are... what we have to look at... Biggest difference from past years is that this year position value comes into play as far as the position impact on the football.

JH: Is it hard to have #1 pick when there isn't a consensus? All mocks say Cam but... there are also others, Dareus, Peterson, AJ Green? Not a consensus... and you've got the #1 pick?
MH: I laugh a bit on that because it's right, there are more names mentioned as far as potential names, but I'm not sure if you go back in time if everybody feels there is a single guy the last 2-3 years of drafts... I remember half an hour before the draft they thought Rams would trade the pick... Ryan went third, nobody knew if he or Long would go first. It's an inexact science, lots of questions. A year or so down the road, next year, maybe you know, we'd know he'd be the top pick and he'd do well... but looking back you have a different way of looking at it than when you're in the moment.

JH: Rookie cap... Do you think rookie cap will be friendlier to you this year?
MH: I don't know... you read and hear a lot about the different proposals and scenarios but the fact of the matter is we don't know what the system is going to be moving forward. Have to focus on moving forward. Whatever system is in place, whatever contract we get with the player is going to look a lot better if he works out. That's what we have to put our energy into.

JH: Describe Defense... 4-3 3-4? Philosophy?
RR: Attacking, down-hill, aggressive defense. Best think, and I feel very good, is my relationship with Sean McDermott... grew up in the same system, very similar about what we're going to do. We're going to be attacking, aggressive style of defense. Won't tell too much but we'll do some of the things I've done in the past. We will attack.

JH: Taking Newton or Gabbert, some concerned about offensive system... Someone said don't discount Mike Shula's presence in preparing guys for NFL. Do you feel more comfortable when you have a guy like that?
RR: I do, I have a lot of confidence in our coaches. Had a great opportunity to get some great coaches. Chudzinski has a great success with young quarterbacks, Mike Shula has had great success. We believe these guys will be great working with OUR quarterback.

Thoughts:

Man, they like Clausen and are going to give him a chance. This isn't just talk. You could tell they really aren't sold he's done, and I don't think they're sold Moore is done either. They really stressed how bad the entire passing offense was last year. Doesn't mean they won't take a QB, though, if one ends up at the top of their board. I also got a much less "Newton" feel from this one than past ones. A lot more general talk. I think they really have not decided despite all the tons of rumors about how they are going one way or another.

#30 ncbobcat

ncbobcat

Beer Enthusiast

• HUDDLER
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

Still have hope that a QB isn't taken. Marty alluded to sit and learn, the #1 overall pick, IMO, will NOT sit on the bench. Hopefully, that was an unintented tell at the poker table.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com