Photo
- - - - -

04/14/11 Panthers Pulse

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#37 micnificent28

micnificent28

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:40 AM

I'm a newton fan but, by all means if there is a good offer on the table and trading down is a option i'd go for it. to much talent in the second round to not have a pick at all. i'd love to get green or peterson or even julio jones. then in the second snag that phea kid at Dt in the second. in the latest mocks there saying jon baldwin is falling a likely 3rd round. i'd take that in a second. well also could look at corner. love to add ras-I-dowling.

#38 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:15 AM

I think if they really thought Cam Newton was for sure who they wanted, they wouldn't even bother with non-crazy trade deals, and if the trade is crazy enough fans would understand.

I think they are still going through the process. I think part of looking at 8 guys is because they think they may trade down, but I do think that Cam Newton is NOT alone in consideration for the #1.

How many guys have come in for a visit? Seems to me if you were narrowwing down the field to eight, you would have had them in to visit by now. After all we are down to 2 weeks. With the number 1 pick we could largely dictate that they come here first as agents would be hoping for the big payday and diverting them here before they went elsewhere. Why isn't that happening??

#39 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

How many guys have come in for a visit? Seems to me if you were narrowwing down the field to eight, you would have had them in to visit by now. After all we are down to 2 weeks. With the number 1 pick we could largely dictate that they come here first as agents would be hoping for the big payday and diverting them here before they went elsewhere. Why isn't that happening??

How many names? Hurney said 4 last week (or week before, can't recall) before Mallett had come in (so 5 that week), and we'd heard rumors about others before that.

Pretty sure the majority of visits we don't actually hear about.

Edited by mav1234, 15 April 2011 - 10:13 AM.

#40 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

HUDDLER

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

Sounds to me that they don't want to get folks all set it will be Newton so if they decide the offer is big enough, they can trade down without disapointing everyone who thought he was a lock. It doesn't mean they aren't leaning his way if they exercise the pick, simply that they won't make their final decision until right up to the draft after listening to all the offers and deciding if they are better off picking or trading. In the event they do trade doown, the guy they pick will be determined by how far down they move. So they have to keep evaluating several guys.

I still think you are reaching and speculating that Newton is definitely the pick even if they stay at #1.

I still say there are 3-4 guys that are definitely in play EVEN IF we stay at #1.

#41 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

sooner or later people will realize that teams have private workouts and visits because they aren't sold on who they want to pick at whatever point in the draft.

if a team doesn't call a prospect that they're interested in for a visit, chances are they've seen all they need to see and don't need to be convinced of anything.

in other words...carolina visiting, talking, and working out cam newton 50,000 times before draft day doesn't mean he has a better chance than everyone else to be picked first overall.

it means carolina still has questions, and still needs to be convinced.

#42 CarolinaNut

CarolinaNut

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:28 AM

sooner or later people will realize that teams have private workouts and visits because they aren't sold on who they want to pick at whatever point in the draft.

if a team doesn't call a prospect that they're interested in for a visit, chances are they've seen all they need to see and don't need to be convinced of anything.

in other words...carolina visiting, talking, and working out cam newton 50,000 times before draft day doesn't mean he has a better chance than everyone else to be picked first overall.

it means carolina still has questions, and still needs to be convinced.

it's just due diligence...nothing more, nothing less...they wanna know exactly who they are spending this money on

#43 mav1234

mav1234

HUDDLER

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:41 AM

and they're not just doing it for Cam Newton, even if it seems that way. He's just the biggest name, with likely one of the more checkered pasts. So we hear a lot about them turning over stones with him, but they've been talking to coaches all across the country for the last few months.

#44 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

From what I've read, Newton, Mallett, Gabbert, Green and Peterson have all been in in for visits.

Haven't seen anything confirming that Dareus has been in yet. Doesn't seem to be any plan for Fairley or Bowers to come.

#45 ncmonzta

ncmonzta

CBA=Offer U Can't Refuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:29 PM

From what I've read, Newton, Mallett, Gabbert, Green and Peterson have all been in in for visits.

Haven't seen anything confirming that Dareus has been in yet. Doesn't seem to be any plan for Fairley or Bowers to come.

I do find it strange we haven't heard about Dareus coming to visit. I wonder if he's been here already.

#46 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

I do find it strange we haven't heard about Dareus coming to visit. I wonder if he's been here already.

He may have been.

When they say "private" they do mean private. There's pretty much never official media, just leaks.

#47 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

Doesn't seem to be any plan for Fairley or Bowers to come.

homework was done on fairley very early on...it would be no surprise if he was written off a long time ago.

i don't think bowers was ever a consideration.