Photo
- - - - -

An NFL GM who's had a bad record in the second round...

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,176 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

...not named Marty Hurney.

Ravens haven't had success with second-round picks

Looking at the Ravens’ 14 second-round picks since their inaugural season in 1996, there are a handful of underperforming players and just one Pro Bowl player -- current starting running back Ray Rice. That’s not to say Newsome hasn’t found productive players in Round 2. But Rice is the only gem he has unearthed.

So if two weeks from now at the draft, Newsome again trades out of the first round for an extra second-rounder -- and some have speculated it could happen -- curb your enthusiasm. History shows it might not pay off big.

Ozzie Newsome is universally considered one of the best talent evaluators in the league, and deservedly so. But even Newsome isn't immune from whiffing, and more than once.

That's something worth keeping in mind when you're evaluating how Hurney has done as a GM.

Perspective.

#2 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,356 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 02:53 PM

...not named Marty Hurney.

Ravens haven't had success with second-round picks

Ozzie Newsome is universally considered one of the best talent evaluators in the league, and deservedly so. But even Newsome isn't immune from whiffing, and more than once.

That's something worth keeping in mind when you're evaluating how Hurney has done as a GM.

Perspective.

Cool. So if Ozzie Newsome had traded a 3rd round pick to select a player with a 5th round grade for a 2nd round pick that ended up being the first pick in the 2nd round, it really wouldn't have been that big of a deal because Ozzie sucks at drafting in the 2nd round anyways.

#3 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,176 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

The point isn't to suggest that Hurney hasn't made mistakes.

The point is that even the best GMs make them.

I chronicled several of Hurney's just recently, but I still think he's a good GM overall. Just not perfect.

People expecting perfection are going to be disappointed, no matter what team they sheer for.

#4 Panthercougar68

Panthercougar68

The Nice

• HUDDLER
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

I also just read an article that says the Ravens have been terrible at finding WR's in the draft also. I consider Ozzie one of the best in the league but its funny that him and Marty share the same similarities with the draft lol.

#5 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

Make excuses all you want Hurney has made some horrible decisons the last couple of years. Tagging Pep then extending Turnover Jake. Trading a 1st for Brown then a 2nd for Edwards. Even last year not trading Dwill when the Packers were desperate (allegedly). I'm not saying he's terrible (I would put him in the middle of the pack) but I really don't understand why people on here are so quick to defend him. He's average nothing more nothing less.

#6 brandon_87

brandon_87

ooh wee mayne he dat deal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:16 PM

for what reason do people say ray rice is a "gem"? I personally think he is gabage and just benefited from a good supporting cast

#7 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

for what reason do people say ray rice is a "gem"? I personally think he is gabage and just benefited from a good supporting cast

? did you actually see him play?

#8 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,367 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

wow the same ray rice that had over 2000 total yards in 09' and over 1700 last year... the guy is a beast

#9 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

so he's emmitt smith

#10 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

I don't expect perfection. I expect not leveraging our future every year on players that would have been available to us anyways at our original draft positions.

#11 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,176 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

"Fanthink" tends to make people believe one of two things.

A) We rule, and everyone else stinks

B) We suck, and everyone else is better than us

when you look objectively at situations around the league, watch full games with other teams, and read news from all over rather than just Panther news, it helps to unskew the perspective a little. That's the point that I think this article helps to make.

#12 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

let me know when hurney drafts a future hall of famer

#13 Sam Mills Fan

Sam Mills Fan

The Truth Sometimes Hurts

• HUDDLER
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

There's a difference between "not having much success" and being as brutally awful as Hurney has been. His 2nd round picks:

2002: DeShaun Foster
2003: Bruce Nelson
2004: Keary Colbert
2005: Eric Shelton
2006: Richard Marshall
2007: Dwayne Jarrett, Ryan Kalil
2008: None, traded so we could get Jeff Otah
2009: Everette Brown (traded 1st rounder to pick), Sherrod Martin
2010: Jimmy Clausen
2011: None, traded so we could get Armanti Edwards

Jesus tapdancing Christ that's terrible. Without Kalil, this would be wretchedly bad on the level of '90s Bengals, '70s Bucs, Matt Millen Lions.

#14 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 14,272 posts
  • Location704

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

Posted Image

#15 Sam Mills Fan

Sam Mills Fan

The Truth Sometimes Hurts

• HUDDLER
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

I look at that list of Hurney 2nd round fail and it's almost unreal. Like it would be harder to draft that badly if you tried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com