Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tarheels23

Against all options, Newton makes most sense for Carolina

279 posts in this topic

Who gives a flaming rip about whether we have primetime games or not?

You want attention? Win games.

You want to win games? Get the best player available.

I don't think that's Newton.

maybe it's me being an anti-qb jerk but I just don't see how a rookie helps us win now.

sure, in the future. but now?

You're drafting Newton for what he can do in the future, not right now.

No.

New and insightful post :)

I think If you go QB you go Gabbert or Mallet, however if it were me I would go Dareus and give Clausen 1 more year in a real offensive system. If you get no success draft a higher rated QB next year. Jones, Luck, and the USC kid are probably better options than the QB's this year.

Who gives a flaming rip about whether we have primetime games or not?

You want attention? Win games.

You want to win games? Get the best player available.

I don't think that's Newton.

Fans who live outside of the southeast & can't get Sunday ticket care about primetime games.

Sadly, I worry more about DTs taken in the top 5, being able to handle the pros, than I do about qbs.

I don't see Green, Peterson, Dareus, Gabbert, or Newton being able to come in and win us games right away. Neither Dareus or Peterson will turn our defense into an elite defense over night. Green can't throw to himself and Gabbert and Newton need time.

I try to look at it as "if all of these players eventually play up to their potential, which player would benefit the Panthers the most for the long haul?"

So your okay with Netwon growing pains but heaven forbid Clausen has some growing pains in the worst offensive system in modern football history with no coaching help and he should definitely get thrown away.. makes no sense to me.

Did you see Clausen play? If so you wouldn't be asking that question.

Fans who live outside of the southeast & can't get Sunday ticket care about primetime games.

I can appreciate that. That used to be me. But you can't make draft decisions based on stuff like that.

Hurney himself has said that hype and attention don't factor into his decision making, and honestly, that's wise.

Wasn't saying I "give a rip" about primetime games, I showed up at 1pm at the local dolphin bar every Sunday in my panther gear by myself last year. Just pointing out that some do complain every year that the media hates us, amount of prime time games, etc. You would literally have to hold a gun to my head to make me beleive that drafting any sort of defensive player would help us win games. There is just not enough impact one guy on defense can do, CONSISTENTLY, every week that would overshadow having a franchise QB.

1 person likes this

Did you Clausen play? If so you wouldn't be asking that question.

I guarantee you if you see Newton play next year 3 games in you'll see the same if not worse results.

A rookie will never help you win now. Drafting a QB #1 doesn't mean he has to start immediately either. We'll sign a vet who can step in if he's not ready. But I'm feeling he'll be put in the fire soon especially if we can get by on run game and D.

Sam bradford. "won" games on his arm year one with no reciever help. MOst of you treat this guy like he is your run of the mill quarterback. Most normal "pocket passers" can't help you win right away. The learning curve for reading and making the proper throws is difficult for any qb. But if you have a quarterback who's skill set is as unique as newton there are ways he can get one the field week one of need be.

Before i get flamed, I'm not even close to suggesting starting him week one,but i am in favor of subing him in in unique packages. I'd think he could run some of the same plays he ran at auburn 6-7 times a game if needed. I don't care if he doesn't throw 3 touchdowns right away but, i'm sure he could contribute on the ground right away. defensive cordinators knowing all he can do is run would look run and leave softer coverages for passer who isn't quiet ready to consistantly beat them.

While his passing may take awhile to get to where it needs to be his legs are fine. If that means our offense looks similar to what atlanta's did with dunn, vick,and duckett(DVD) so be it.. I don't care how the touchdowns are scored as long as they are scored. I'm not saying he can't be a decent passer right away this is just the worst case senario.

I guarantee you if you see Newton play next year 3 games in you'll see the same if not worse results.

how is that possible. I can all most assure you even if cam doesn't throw a passing touchdown all season(unlikely) he'll account for more than 3 touchdowns.

Oh yeah? maybe if he had down syndrome and a broken leg this comment would make sense.