• This topic is locked This topic is locked
349 replies to this topic

#1 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,483 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

“I think the NFL is so much further now,” Rice said. “I don’t think race is a factor.”

Rice said he has met Newton and came away impressed, both with Newton’s attitude and with what an imposing physical specimen Newton is. But Rice said that there are legitimate questions about whether Newton has the tools to be a pro-style passer.

“It’s going to boil down to accuracy,” Rice said. “He’s going to have to be able to drop back, plant himself and deliver that football. During his workouts the ball was a little high, all over the place.”

Ultimately, that’s the only question that matters about Newton: Whether he can transition from a great spread-offense quarterback in college to a great pro-style quarterback in the NFL.

http://profootballta...ith-cam-newton/

seems like maybe some of us who had football-related questions about him weren't crazy after all. Not saying those questions will keep him from being drafted, but...

#2 Cracka McNasty

Cracka McNasty

WWNPHD?

• HUDDLER
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

20 pages minimum...

that's with modified thread style to show 20 posts per page.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand....

GO!

#3 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:56 AM

Glad to hear there is an ex-player with common sense. As I have said before, if there was a purple alien QB that showed up to practice in a flying saucer that was going to be the next Peyton Manning - he would go #1.

#4 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

Well, the opinion of a black HOF receiver has to stand for something around here.

#5 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,483 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:58 AM

Glad to hear there is an ex-player with common sense. As I have said before, if there was a purple alien QB that showed up to practice in a flying saucer that was going to be the next Peyton Manning - he would go #1.

Have you actually said that before? If so, it's kinda funny. Truth is, an alien would never make it through government agencies to play football. Ya know, unless he had legal immigration papers, which seems unlikely!

#6 Millions

Millions

#ThankYouBasedCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, N.C.

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

Of course he's not the finished product like many of us Cam believers have been saying he will have to put in the work to get better. Race becomes a factor IMO for those that believe he'll get his money,an might get lazy (look to the Russell comparisons).

#7 Mvp2014

Mvp2014

Phenom

• HUDDLER
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

Project

#8 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

I'll take the word of a guy like Warren Moon who's actually played QB in the NFL and lived thru the experience vs. a guy like Jerry Rice who never played with one in the NFL. Respect his opinion, but he's in a dream world if he doesnt think the identity of a QB doesnt play into his perception. The QB position is basically the tool the NFL uses to market the game to certain fans. Change that dynamic, and the NFL is basically the NBA.

#9 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,618 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

Is he going to have Drew Brees like accuracy? No.

#10 carolinarolls

carolinarolls

Mel's brother Del

• HUDDLER
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

I'll take the word of a guy like Warren Moon who's actually played QB in the NFL and lived thru the experience vs. a guy like Jerry Rice who never played with one in the NFL. Respect his opinion, but he's in a dream world if he doesnt think the identity of a QB doesnt play into his perception. The QB position is basically the tool the NFL uses to market the game to certain fans. Change that dynamic, and the NFL is basically the NBA.

bullsh|t

pure bullsh|t

..as usual

#11 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,837 posts

As they pointed out in the combine though, he was late getting out from under center which threw off the rhythm of his drop back, plant, and throw... Because his feet were off, he tried to compensate with his arm and the throws were off. With coaching, this should be easily fixable - his delivery itself isn't an issue, and game film shows he's really accurate throwing it deep for the most part - which is what we need.

I don't think the workouts were determinant of his ability to become a great pro. He shows up on gamedays.

#12 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,360 posts

Cam can do no wrong

#13 Bj-Monster23

Bj-Monster23

Slam Newton

• HUDDLER
  • 2,014 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:07 AM

Its great to have accuracy but it doesnt determine how good of an Quarterback you will be. There are ways you win without having the best accuracy in the world.

#14 Millions

Millions

#ThankYouBasedCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, N.C.

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

In game situations last year and stats show his accuracy is not that big of an issue like I've said his arm in general is underrated. Due to him having the skill to run over defenders like Adrian Peterson.

#15 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:09 AM

For me the knock on Cam isn't his accuracy. I don't think you can learn a whole lot watching a guy throw 14 passes to receivers he's never played with.

I'd agree more with Jerry if he said he was concerned about the transition to much more complex, under center offensive schemes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.