Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Pro Dareus crowd

126 posts in this topic

Posted

I won't be disappointed, I'll be content if Dareus, Green, or Peterson are the pick.....I will be worried and excited if Cam is

Posted

One thing that makes Dareus valuable is his ability to play a versatile role along the line. Rivera has stated we may run some 3-4 looks and Dareus could slide inside and play the nose in those situations. He will not be an all time pass rusher at the DT spot, but he will be one of the best run stoppers in the league one day along with being disruptive in the backfield in passing situations. Some have him rated as the best prospect in the draft, including McShay and Mayock, at a position that is arguably our greatest need.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/hot?id=6414291

Posted

this is funny because quite a few people last year preferred McCoy.

Posted

If Dareus can stop the run he will vastly improve our D-Line. Our D-Line hasn't had a DT (in my opinion) worth a flip since Jenkins.

Posted

Drafting a DT #1 overall is a reach and won't happen in Carolina. Dareus wouldn't have a big enough impact nor be a draw for fans.

Posted

Drafting a DT #1 overall is a reach and won't happen in Carolina. Dareus wouldn't have a big enough impact nor be a draw for fans.

Only the big cat knows if this is taken into consideration or not. Detroit made a living on making the popular pick and look where it got them. I honestly see us taking Dareus or Green if we can't trade down.

Posted

Cam Newton will not draw fans for long. Wiinning games will. Heck, there was a run on Clausen jerseys and people were screaming for him last year. That lasted about as long as the flavor in cheap bubble gum.

Dareus is not the reach any QB is at #1. But I agree, and would trade down if I could.

Posted

Everyone should be pro-dareus. The guy is a very good DT. Nothing but impressive. I'd love to have him on our team....if we weren't ranked #32 in YPG, #32 in TD's, and #32 in Passing.

Rivera has already proven he can produce a #1 ranked defense without "studs."

Posted

I feel the exact same way about him, Nick Fairley and PP7. All great prospects an I understand how and why those guys are wanted but we have to do something to get our offense headed in the right direction. Starting at the most important position in today's NFL and one of our biggest needs should be the first priority imo.

Posted

And Rivera spoke today about this very issue, saying that it was a passing league, and you need to be able to rush the passer and cover receivers.

I am probably reading too much into that comment, but as soon as he said it, I thought, well, they aren't going to pick Dareus. PP, maybe, or someone more effective at rushing the passer like Miller, if they don't go QB.

Man, you really missed the boat on that one.

A strong DT presence on the Carolina line will do MUCH MORE to improve our pass rush than any LB or DE that we could add to this team.

Without a dominant inside force, a QB merely steops up in the pocket to escape from outside pressure. A DT who can provide push inside give the QB nowhere to go....thus increasing the number of sacks.

1 person likes this

Posted

I feel the exact same way about him, Nick Fairley and PP7. All great prospects an I understand how and why those guys are wanted but we have to do something to get our offense headed in the right direction. Starting at the most important position in today's NFL and one of our biggest needs should be the first priority imo.

Reaching to fill a need with a player who is not with the pick is a sure fire way of having draft failure.

Posted

Man, you really missed the boat on that one.

A strong DT presence on the Carolina line will do MUCH MORE to improve our pass rush than any LB or DE that we could add to this team.

Without a dominant inside force, a QB merely steops up in the pocket to escape from outside pressure. A DT who can provide push inside give the QB nowhere to go....thus increasing the number of sacks.

Refresh my memory...what DT helped Charles Johnson out last year?