Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How hard is it to trade the number one pick???

13 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Here's a quote from Charley Casserly regarding the number one pick:

The phone is not ringing for Marty Hurney. The last time I had the No. 1 overall pick, I called up the Jets and asked what they would give me for it. They said, "What are you going to give us so we'll take it?"

Ouch...I've been saying all day that Hurney wants to trade down which to me says they arent quite sold on Newton...

Posted · Report post

he may entertain trading down and wish he could but i'm sure being realistic he knows he can't get a fair deal for the pick..the team should not of went 2-14 if he doesn't want the pick.

Posted · Report post

It takes the commitment of a suicidal love affair to trade to the #1. It costs you so much in picks you basically have to give away every other pick of value to get it. So your GM and coach have to bet the franchise that they are right. So that's why the #1 is rarely traded.

Posted · Report post

It's gonna be VERY hard. Trading for a number 1 pick, is a job ending decision based on if that player you selected is a bust.

Posted · Report post

Even if we trade down to #3 or #4 and get another 3rd and 5th out of it, I'd be for it. Those types of picks are bargaining chips when you want to move up later and not want to use next year's draft picks (since you can't use players)

Posted · Report post

I'd say you have over a 20% chance based on that past 10 years. 2 trades in the last 10 years. and not every wanted to trade out. so the odds arent bad, just a bad year

Posted · Report post

didn't we trade with the bengals for just a 2nd in the expansion draft?

Posted · Report post

That chart makes me think we could end up with accepting a low ball offer if one is made to us on draft day

Posted · Report post

I really don't care what the trade value chart says. Common sense tells me that trading the #1 pick in this particular draft, down to spots 4-7, while picking up a 2nd rounder would be a win for Carolina. If I can get more, like a 4th or 5th thrown in, even better. So IMHO the trade value chart sucks.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Come on Shanahan, you neeedz a new precious.

Posted · Report post

If the new rookie salary cap was in place it would be easier to trade.