Photo
- - - - -

Is Obama an African American?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

I didn't know one could be called an african american if they were a first generation....kenyan for that matter. Though they may face the same issues based on race I know more than my fair share of kenyans (and drank more Tusker than I care to remember) and they would consider themselves to be kenyan or americans depending on the status of their citizenship.

I thought that the term african american was used to unify peoples whose ancestory was taken from them by slavery (from West Africa.)

I don't consider Obama to be an African American....but just an American. What say you?

#2 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

Isn't Kenya a country in Africa? And Hawaii is a state in America. His father- from Kenya. His mother- from Hawaii.

Sounds like a tried and true African American to me

#3 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

He can be Kenyan American....but African American I think is reserved for those without a true history of where they came from ie the western african slave trade

He has a true and identifiable culture from Kenya...just saying

#4 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

He can be Kenyan American....but African American I think is reserved for those without a true history of where they came from ie the western african slave trade

He has a true and identifiable culture from Kenya...just saying

African Americans or Black Americans are citizens or residents of the United States who have origins in any of the black populations of Africa.[4] In the United States, the term is generally used for Americans with at least partial Sub-Saharan African ancestry

Posted Image

Sub-Saharan African states in Red

#5 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:28 PM

No, he's Irish.

#6 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

So you are pretty good with a map....great

now lets see where the slave trade map is...thanks for playing dimz lol

Posted Image

This month, the debate spilled into public view when Alan Keyes, the black Republican challenger for the Senate seat in Illinois, questioned whether Obama, the keynote speaker at the Democratic National Convention, should claim an African-American identity.

"Barack Obama claims an African-American heritage," Keyes said on the ABC program "This Week With George Stephanopoulos." "Barack Obama and I have the same race – that is, physical characteristics. We are not from the same heritage.
"My ancestors toiled in slavery in this country," Keyes said. "My consciousness, who I am as a person, has been shaped by my struggle, deeply emotional and deeply painful, with the reality of that heritage."

Some black Americans argue that black immigrants, like Kamus, and the children of immigrants, like Obama and Powell, are most certainly African-American. (Obama and Powell often use that term when describing themselves.) Yet some immigrants and their children prefer to be called African or Nigerian-American or Jamaican-American, depending on their countries of origin. Other people prefer the term "black," which seems to include everyone, regardless of nationality.

Keyes' comments reflect the views of a number of black Americans, including those who challenged Kamus at the meeting on prostate cancer this year. Many argued that the term "African-American" should refer to the descendants of slaves brought to the United States centuries ago, not to newcomers who have not inherited the legacy of bondage, segregation and legal discrimination.
Bobby Austin, an administrator at the University of the District of Columbia who attended the meeting in Washington, said he understood why some blacks were offended when Kamus claimed an African-American identity. Austin said some people feared that black immigrants and their children would ****** up the hard-won opportunities made possible by the civil rights movement.

#7 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

blaucasian ®

#8 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Yes there is a big difference between 1st generation and those descendent from the enslaved, but there's a big difference between someone like me whose family came over several hundred years ago and my friend who's parents moved over from Germany right before she was born. I would consider both of us as European Americans.

#9 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,326 posts

I just find it interesting because I know many a kenyan and they see themselves as Kenyan not a collective of 100's of cultures...and if/when they are made citizens they will be Kenyan Americans

#10 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

Are you saying the Kenyan's are uppity?

#11 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

Yes there is a big difference between 1st generation and those descendent from the enslaved, but there's a big difference between someone like me whose family came over several hundred years ago and my friend who's parents moved over from Germany right before she was born. I would consider both of us as European Americans.

She retains though her German culture where ours has been diluted over time...therefore she'd be german/american where youd be european american

#12 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

So, each AA in America should refer to themself as a Senegalan America or Nigerian American or Liberian American or Guinean American, etc. As opposed to using the full continent as a reference.

I see your point. :D

#13 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 17,482 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:34 PM

Unfortunately most tenderbox posters think that africa is a country :)

#14 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,326 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

Are you saying the Kenyan's are uppity?

Now I just think and Ivory Coaster living in America thinks Ivory Coast...Senegal is Senegalese...so on and so forth

#15 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,915 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

I honestly thought the use of "African American" was to get away from the use of "black" as a defining description, as opposed to a definition as to whether they had ancestors wrongly brought over on boats to be slaves.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com