Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthro

Is Obama an African American?

42 posts in this topic

well DO tell what you were implying with your sarcastic response after the part of Keys' biography.

Any sarcasm in my post does not equate to Mr. Keyes being an "Uncle Tom," whatever that means. I was only pointing out that the history of his upbringing hardly points out one of struggle. Though far be it for me to say how his life growing up truly was.

I do, however, question the motivation behind this Republican African American would-be Senator questioning President Obama's validity at being a "true" African American

Any sarcasm in my post does not equate to Mr. Keyes being an "Uncle Tom," whatever that means. I was only pointing out that the history of his upbringing hardly points out one of struggle. Though far be it for me to say how his life growing up truly was.

I do, however, question the motivation behind this Republican African American would-be Senator questioning President Obama's validity at being a "true" African American

That's fair enough I suppose.

Of his early childhood, Obama has recalled, "That my father looked nothing like the people around me — that he was black as pitch, my mother white as milk — barely registered in my mind." In his 1995 memoir, he described his struggles as a young adult to reconcile social perceptions of his multiracial heritage. He wrote that he used alcohol, marijuana and cocaine during his teenage years to "push questions of who I was out of my mind." At the 2008 Civil Forum on the Presidency, Obama identified his high-school drug use as his "greatest moral failure."

Now that, to me, seems more indicative of a life that may have been one of struggle, deeply emotional and deeply painful.

But what do I know?

You know one is a Republican and one is a Democrat.

You know one is a Republican and one is a Democrat.

Exactly.

So, one is willing to admit his failures in the past and gain constituents, while the other will not (whether they're there or not, I have no idea) and gain constituents.

Exactly.

So, one is willing to admit his failures in the past and gain constituents, while the other will not (whether they're there or not, I have no idea) and gain constituents.

run that by me again...

im scared to comment either way

My neighbor is from Guyana and he got pissed when one of our other neighbors referred to him as an African-American. I suppose I can see his gripe, but are we supposed to know the origin of every fuging human before we greet them?

People are too god damned sensitive. :dita:

Well when you assume....

That's why I stick to historical terminology like black, honkey, and ****. This way, nobody is offended.

...or maybe try Steve, Michael, and Shaun lol

I'm a southerner.