• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,777 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

So, each AA in America should refer to themself as a Senegalan America or Nigerian American or Liberian American or Guinean American. As opposed to using the full continent as a reference.

I see your point. :D

Ahhhh but do you????

I am all for the people using the terminology African American...I was just bringing up discussion points as to its specific use and the context of it.

#17 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:38 PM

Ahhhh but do you????

I am all for the people using the terminology African American...I was just bringing up discussion points as to its specific use and the context of it.

Well, that's it then- you're arguing over semantics

#18 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,777 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

I honestly thought the use of "African American" was to get away from the use of "black" as a defining description, as opposed to a definition as to whether they had ancestors wrongly brought over on boats to be slaves.

Wont argue with that...

#19 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,777 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

Well, that's it then- you're arguing over semantics

I could very well be...

I am anti-semantic though

#20 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:13 PM

So you are pretty good with a map....great

This month, the debate spilled into public view when Alan Keyes, the black Republican challenger for the Senate seat in Illinois, questioned whether Obama, the keynote speaker at the Democratic National Convention, should claim an African-American identity.

"Barack Obama claims an African-American heritage," Keyes said on the ABC program "This Week With George Stephanopoulos." "Barack Obama and I have the same race – that is, physical characteristics. We are not from the same heritage.
"My ancestors toiled in slavery in this country," Keyes said. "My consciousness, who I am as a person, has been shaped by my struggle, deeply emotional and deeply painful

now lets see where the slave trade map is...thanks for playing dimz lol

Alan Keyes- Born in a naval hospital on Long Island in New York,[3] Keyes was the fifth child to Allison and Gerthina Keyes, a U.S. Army sergeant and a teacher. Due to his father's tours of duty, the Keyes family traveled frequently. Keyes lived in Georgia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Texas, Virginia and overseas in Italy[citation needed].

After graduation from high school, Keyes attended Cornell University, where he was a member of the Cornell University Glee Club and The Hangovers. He studied political philosophy with American philosopher and essayist Allan Bloom and has said that Bloom was the professor who influenced him most in his undergraduate studies

Not taking anything away from Mr. Keyes... it does sound like he really had struggle, deeply emotional and deeply painful, for sure.

#21 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

Not taking anything away from Mr. Keyes... it does sound like he really had struggle, deeply emotional and deeply painful, for sure.

Alan Keyes is "chocolate face" from Borat.

#22 engine9

engine9

shoota muhfukkaina minute

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

So he's an uppity Uncle Tom and not African American?

#23 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

So he's an uppity Uncle Tom and not African American?

Who said that? Not me.

#24 engine9

engine9

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

Who said that? Not me.

well DO tell what you were implying with your sarcastic response after the part of Keys' biography.

#25 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:35 PM

well DO tell what you were implying with your sarcastic response after the part of Keys' biography.

Any sarcasm in my post does not equate to Mr. Keyes being an "Uncle Tom," whatever that means. I was only pointing out that the history of his upbringing hardly points out one of struggle. Though far be it for me to say how his life growing up truly was.

I do, however, question the motivation behind this Republican African American would-be Senator questioning President Obama's validity at being a "true" African American

#26 engine9

engine9

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

Any sarcasm in my post does not equate to Mr. Keyes being an "Uncle Tom," whatever that means. I was only pointing out that the history of his upbringing hardly points out one of struggle. Though far be it for me to say how his life growing up truly was.

I do, however, question the motivation behind this Republican African American would-be Senator questioning President Obama's validity at being a "true" African American

That's fair enough I suppose.

#27 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:50 PM

Of his early childhood, Obama has recalled, "That my father looked nothing like the people around me — that he was black as pitch, my mother white as milk — barely registered in my mind." In his 1995 memoir, he described his struggles as a young adult to reconcile social perceptions of his multiracial heritage. He wrote that he used alcohol, marijuana and cocaine during his teenage years to "push questions of who I was out of my mind." At the 2008 Civil Forum on the Presidency, Obama identified his high-school drug use as his "greatest moral failure."

Now that, to me, seems more indicative of a life that may have been one of struggle, deeply emotional and deeply painful.

But what do I know?

#28 engine9

engine9

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:55 PM

You know one is a Republican and one is a Democrat.

#29 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

You know one is a Republican and one is a Democrat.

Exactly.

So, one is willing to admit his failures in the past and gain constituents, while the other will not (whether they're there or not, I have no idea) and gain constituents.

#30 engine9

engine9

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:44 PM

Exactly.

So, one is willing to admit his failures in the past and gain constituents, while the other will not (whether they're there or not, I have no idea) and gain constituents.

run that by me again...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com