218 replies to this topic

#151 uhfan

uhfan

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

Aloha Panthers fans,

As a long time UH supporter I was curious what the reaction was to drafting Kealoha Pilares. Interesting so far. Everyone has their own opinion but here's my view after watching him play the last 4 years. Hawaii fans, if you think I'm wrong on something please correct me.

He has improved each year. He has always been extremely shifty and can stop on a dime and make defenders whiff. I think that's what makes him exciting to watch.

Like some of you I laughed seeing the opposite descriptions of his hands from scouts. From my observations, most of the time his hands are great . . . but he does seem to have that one game where he drops multiple catchable balls. Again, it's maybe one game a season where this happens, but that game can still be frustrating as a fan. I don't know if it's a matter of just having an off day coordination wise because otherwise he has been consistent catching the ball.

The one characteristic of Pilares that I think might have made your office want him is that he's very good at coming back to the ball as well as catching low or off-target balls. It doesn't bother him to have an inaccurate passer. He is very workmanlike that way. Some of the knock on Newton is that he's not always that accurate. So, a hard working receiver who will come back to the ball and stay alive is probably a good fit for where Newton is developmentally.

Finally, Kealoha (btw he's Native Hawaiian not Samoan . . . "ke" means "the" and "aloha" means "love", so his name means "love" as in the noun, not the verb. I know some of you don't care about Hawaiian culture but . . .) is really smart. He just won the campus-wide academic athlete award at UH, carrying a 4 year cumulative GPA of 3.63 in Kinesiology. He is a modest, humble guy---but lets his passion and drive shine in whatever he does academically and athletically. He's not going to talk about his achievements or himself even if you try to get him to. Don't mistake that for not caring.

I will be watching and cheering him on. I have no idea how he will do in the NFL but I think he has as good a chance as any to be very good, especially because of his drive, work ethic, and athleticism. Just my two cents.

#152 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:12 PM

Besides that, it's the 5th round. This guy has PLENTY of value here, IMO.

#153 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,825 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:19 PM

Based on uhfan's description he sounds more and more like Steve Smith. Catching poorly thrown balls was always his specialty.

#154 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:19 PM

I'm telling you this will end up being a solid pickup (outside of Cam was my Fav pick literally was jumping up about it when I first saw the pick). He is good in just about every phase of the receiving game (and could even takes some plays out of the wildcat or as a RB). If it wasn't for that PCL injury he would have went probably in the 2nd-3rd area.

#155 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

I like the pick. Hope he pans out.

#156 klumme

klumme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

I have no idea why but i LOVE this pick.

The Love will get a SB to Charlotte:hurray:

#157 Stumpy

Stumpy

Cam Ward Trolls Hard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • LocationHickory

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

Aloha Panthers fans...

Nice write up, glad to hear a Hawaii fan's perspective. Hopefully we can all cheer him on on Sundays. :cheers2:

#158 uhfan

uhfan

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:55 PM

After checking again with some friends, Kealoha might mean "Beloved". Aloha has multiple meanings including love, compassion, beloved, etc. So it just depends on what his parents were going for. Maybe your media can ask him when he gets there. Anyhow, I agree with folks on here, it's a great name.

Best wishes in 2011, Panthers!

#159 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,483 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:59 PM

whatever the name means I am pumped to see him play!

feeling great about this year!

#160 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

Was it just me or did that write-up sound contradictory?

#161 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,891 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

just remember people

how many of you said "who?" when they announced Steve Smith?

FIxed

#162 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,165 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:18 PM

For someone who lacks speed he certainly has a lot of HUGE plays....I LOVE THIS PICK....

#163 panthers34

panthers34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:03 PM

1300 yards 88 catches and 15 TDs for a WR in the 5th round is great

#164 scarface

scarface

• HUDDLER
  • 3,048 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

Posted Image

Dem tattoos is awesome!

#165 BleedingBlackNBlue

BleedingBlackNBlue

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:23 PM

Deep bomb from Cam to Pilares - loving the sound of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.