Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jimmy Clausen

263 posts in this topic

Posted

Yes I can admit that the running game helps the passing game. Now can you admit that when teams know that they don't have to worry about the QB beating them with his arm they just stack the box with 8-10 players and completely shut down the run game despite having multiple pro bowlers on the o-line and ultimately putting our multiple, pro bowl worthy, RB's on IR?

Claiming that I am blinded by hate when IN THE POST YOU QUOTED, I clearly stated that Pickles has an opportunity to be a serviceable back up and that is all you can really hope for from a second round QB (The only panthers jersey I own is a Clausen jersey), just shows that it is you yourself that is blinded by emotion. You have obviously refused to make a logic based evaluation of Pickles or take the many viable arguments made in this very thread into consideration in any way.

I said "everyone," never directly picked on you, I apologize. There aren't any viable arguments against Clausen other than "he sucks." A quick glance at his numbers and our overall record, people quickly jump onto the conclusion that he sucks and will never prosper.

It is not hard to stop the running game when the only dominant receiver on the team is double or even triple covered. We probably had one of the worst wide receiver depth in the league, which again, isn't going to help a rookie quarterback. In addition, we've always went against multiple defenders in the box even with Delhomme under center because he didn't necessarily strike fear in other defense's hearts either. With that said, we still had a flourishing running attack.

1 person likes this

Posted

I said "everyone," never directly picked on you, I apologize. There aren't any viable arguments against Clausen other than "he sucks." A quick glance at his numbers and our overall record, people quickly jump onto the conclusion that he sucks and will never prosper.

It is not hard to stop the running game when the only dominant receiver on the team is double or even triple covered. We probably had one of the worst wide receiver depth in the league, which again, isn't going to help a rookie quarterback. In addition, we've always went against multiple defenders in the box even with Delhomme under center because he didn't necessarily strike fear in other defense's hearts either. With that said, we still had a flourishing running attack.

Several valid points here. My biggest knock on Pickles is that he doesn't have the locker room. When Beason suggests we draft a QB my ears perk up.

He shouldn't have played last year so soon IMO.

Doesn't mean he won't find some level of success down the road.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think Gettis and Lafell are going to be good

Clausen still has the potential, but those were literally all of his good throws he made last year. The best quarterbacks get those in one half, he's got a hell of work to do. He was in a bad situation last year. This year he has no excuse. Nut up or shut up

Posted

I don't know about anyone else, but I've gained a lot of respect for Jimmy with the way he's handled this whole situation with Cam. First one in the building to pickup the playbook, welcoming him to the team, texting him, etc.

You know he's gotta be pissed about it, but instead of bitching he's simply gotten to work. Call me crazy, but I have this odd feeling that Jimmy Clausen is going to help this team out in a big way down the road at some point.

Posted

I don't know about anyone else, but I've gained a lot of respect for Jimmy with the way he's handled this whole situation with Cam. First one in the building to pickup the playbook, welcoming him to the team, texting him, etc.

You know he's gotta be pissed about it, but instead of bitching he's simply gotten to work. Call me crazy, but I have this odd feeling that Jimmy Clausen is going to help this team out in a big way down the road at some point.

What else is he suppose to do? :confused:

Posted

Several valid points here. My biggest knock on Pickles is that he doesn't have the locker room. When Beason suggests we draft a QB my ears perk up.

He shouldn't have played last year so soon IMO.

Doesn't mean he won't find some level of success down the road.

You're probably right in that he may not have many teammates respect but he has handled everything in a very professional and respectable manner. I like his attitude in his press conferences along with the comments towards the team regardless of how poorly we were.

He will have to gain the locker room somehow which is probably a very tough thing to do right now. Clausen is going to need the team to have trust in him.

Posted

What else is he suppose to do? :confused:

Step in and become a quality backup if Cam ever goes down with an injury. If he has a few more years being patient and getting as good as he can get while on the bench, we're in a Kolb-esque situation which is always nice.

Posted

Jimmy has been a class act about all of this. None of us would be happy in his shoes, but he's been a pro about it, so I give him props.

Posted

Jimmy has been a class act about all of this. None of us would be happy in his shoes, but he's been a pro about it, so I give him props.

He sent welcome tweets to a few of our newly drafted rookies as well.

Jimmy Clausen's Twitter

Posted

I think by playing fairly well this year and becoming some other team's answer, re-couping our 3rd we spent on him or maybe even a second.

1 person likes this

Posted

I think by playing fairly well this year and becoming some other team's answer, re-couping our 3rd we spent on him or maybe even a second.

He would have to be pretty damn good to get a second for him.

Let's hope for a 6th and anything better than that is gravy

Posted

jimmy is a class act, but i have no problem him becoming a footnote in panther history.

he played an instrumental part in our getting newton.

i hope he has an opportunity to show that he can be a lot better than he was last year, but the only reason for that is so that he can have some good trade value. i don't care what happens to him after that. i hope he doesn't have as many opportunities to showcase what he can do as schaub had in atlanta, but i sure would like getting what they got for him (trading 1sts and also getting two 2nd rounders).

i just don't think that clausen will be given much of an opportunity aside from preseason games unless newton gets hurt. maybe a couple games early on in the season, but i want newton starting before the bye week. preferably the 2 games prior to the bye.