Photo
- - - - -

Dueling Beat Writers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#25 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

SUPPORTER

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

B, If we get rid of him for draft picks. I want at least a first plus a couple of other picks. maybe a 3rd and a 5th this year plus a 3rd next year something like that.

#26 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:22 AM

I find it amusing that people fuss about Peppers mailing it in and in the same breath pine for Albert "Contract Year" Haynesworth.

#27 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

Blazing Trails Thru the NFC South

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

I find it amusing that people fuss about Peppers mailing it in and in the same breath pine for Albert "Contract Year" Haynesworth.

Hmm, his sack production has risen the last two years, but the rest of his game has remained consistent. Ability to stay on the field is the only problem I see in his career. There just isn't a stat for how many times a player pressures up the middle and disrupts a play. But I think Haynesworth is just an example of what we could do with 16 million in Pep free money, not necassarily where the Panthers will spend it. Should be some very good players let go at cap time we could pounce on if we have the dollars.

http://www.nfl.com/p...le?id=HAY746506

#28 tondi

tondi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

I go with "A" unless we are looking at getting nothing more than a mid round pick for him. He's not worth that much money even if he has a year comparable to 2008 which is no guarantee based on years past.

Whoever he ends up with is going to be disappointed in his play next year and I would rather it be somebody else. If that means we only get a low 1st or high 2nd for him that's OK with me.

#29 Sandy Claws

Sandy Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:43 AM

Let's offer Peppers a 1 year deal in lieu of the Franchise deal. Give him a base salary on par with the average of the top 5 DEs (9 millionish) then incentives to add 4-6 million more AND add a clause that if he achieves certain incentives, we don't tag him again. That's the sort of thing that worked for the Titans with Haynesworth last year.

#30 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

Let's offer Peppers a 1 year deal in lieu of the Franchise deal. Give him a base salary on par with the average of the top 5 DEs (9 millionish) then incentives to add 4-6 million more AND add a clause that if he achieves certain incentives, we don't tag him again. That's the sort of thing that worked for the Titans with Haynesworth last year.

Thats not a bad idea. The only problem is that with the CBA situation ongoing another new rule to the cap is that all likely to be earned insentives have to be placed on the begining of this years cap number. In years past those LTBE incentives would have just been added to next years cap after the fact. So by doing a deal like this you wouldn't exactly be saving any cap space.

#31 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

I don't think that the cap number of 16.7 is that big of a deterrent. We spent 14 million and change on him in 2008 after a 2 1/2 sack performance in 2007. Why wouldn't we be willing to spend 2 million more than last year after a 14 1/2 sack pro-bowl year in 2008.

As for Peppers playing poorly in 2009. Why would he do that? He knows that if he slacks off then every negative thing said about him would be true. Plus if no one will pony up 2 1st round draft picks after his year in 2008, why would they pony up that much with less production?

He knows that to keep his hopes of leaving intact, he has to have another career year this year as well. He saw how Gross increased his worth after being franchised in 2008 and knows he can do it as well.

Will he go? Very possible. But it won't likely be to the team of his choice or for as much money as he will make in Carolina. So unless he settles for less than what he wants, he will likely be here next year disgruntled or not.

#32 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

Give the win in the Hangartner discussion to Chandler.

Still waiting to see how the Peppers saga plays out.

#33 Seamonk

Seamonk

kekekekekeke

HUDDLER

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

This topic title just reminds me of that knife fight in the Michael Jackson - Beat it music video.