mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,387 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

Team Draft Grades:

From CBSSports.com by Pete Prisco:

Carolina Panthers

Best pick: Third-round defensive tackle Sione Fua is a power player who will help at a position of dire need.

Questionable move: Taking Cam Newton with the first pick in the draft after taking Jimmy Clausen last year. Newton is a very high risk-reward prospect.

Third-day gem: Sixth-round linebacker Lawrence Wilson was a productive player at Connecticut who will add speed to the linebacker group.

Analysis: Their draft will be defined by Newton. If he becomes a star, this will be a nice draft. If he busts, heads will roll. I like the pick of two defensive tackles after the Newton pick.

Grade: C

Kiper just gave us a grade. It's Insider only, but here's the jist:
Reached for Newton as he was 15 on the big board, but have to be intrigued by him. He has a high ceiling. But the draft was about more than Newton... Filled needs at CB, DT, and WR. Now have to decide who starts.
Needs: C+ Value: C- Overall: C

I think that Prisco is right. This draft is defined by Newton. How he does in the next couple years may very well decide Hurney's fate as our GM. It's pretty clear Kiper is still convinced Newton won't matter because Jimmy will ride in on a white horse (probably with Kiper seated behind him) to save our franchise. :P

Edited by mav1234, 01 May 2011 - 11:21 AM.

#2 The_Cannon

The_Cannon

Tickle Me & Rub My Belly!

• HUDDLER
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

Sixth-round linebacker Lawrence Wilson was a productive player at Connecticut who will add speed to the linebacker group

If our LBs get FASTER that is scary TD and Beason at top form are already like velociraptors out there...

#3 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,387 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

I rarely do, but I agree with Prisco's assessment. This is the kind of draft that in 3 years could be anywhere from an A+ to an F, and much of it will come down to Newton.

The DTs were good pickups. I personally love Kealoha Pilares. I am excited about this year.

#4 CarolinaCatBrigade

CarolinaCatBrigade

She likes my Newton

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:29 AM

Our draft should be determined for wasting a pick on AE last year.

#5 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

Time will tell, but this is definitely a big moment for Rivera and Hurney. It's almost a certainty that the Panthers will at least double their win total from last year though. That almost always happens after a coaching change, regardless of how their 1st draft goes. Just having different faces on the coaching staff seems to put a charge into teams for some reason.

#6 mountainpantherfan

mountainpantherfan

In Honor of Sam Mills

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

I really like the Pilares, Williams and Ziemba picks. They all seem like great value picks and guys who have the abilty to be starters down the road. Newton and Hogan picks were high reward/high risks pick that the team needed to start making in order to turn things around. I like the picks and the talent is there just not the value. McClain and Fua were average picks in that these guys were 3rd rounders drafted in the 3rd round. This round is where you often see guys who have low cieling but a high floor and thats what I see in these two DTs. The pick I like the least was the Wilson pick. He seems like a possible ST standout but nothing special at LB.

The thing I like about this draft is there seems to be a lot of talent in the picks (aside from the Wilson pick). Value is a great thing but it doesn't give you anything on the field. Talent does and I would rather get talent than value most of the time, especially with a team that is rebuilding. The main thing I dislike about this draft is that the team was obviously drafting for need and I worry that may have had too much influence on the picks.

#7 communist

communist

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

Our draft should be determined for wasting a pick on AE last year.

absolutely...that was a very stupid move. same goes for ingram and julio jones this year. i wouldnt never ever trade a high future draft pick away unless we are talking about a QB. any other position can be filled without trading the whole farm away.

guys, that cbs journalist sucks. he gave us a D for aldon smith though the texans, the boys and the pats wanted to have him. bill parcells rated him higher than quinn, like i know.

#8 Swarly

Swarly

MichaelJordanLaughing.gif

• HUDDLER
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

C seems to be the grade we've been getting from most. can't disagree with it.

#9 JungleCat

JungleCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

I'm skeptical of the Newton pick but I hope he turns out great. The other picks seem ok.

#10 Carolina Crazy V2

Carolina Crazy V2

!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

Lawrence Wilson will be the Greg Hardy of this draft.

#11 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

how does dickhead grade us a C+ for need?

#12 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,387 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

how does dickhead grade us a C+ for need?

because he doesn't think QB is a need, and thought DT and CB were bigger I think. >.>

#13 4Corners

4Corners

suck me beautiful

• HUDDLER
  • 13,952 posts
  • Location704

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:44 PM

prisco hands down is the worst nfl beat writer

#14 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,574 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:47 AM

C+ B- whats the difference. i do not feel like we got any elite guys in the draft from 3-7 rds.

C+ seems right...its better than an F for taking"the biggest gamble ever!" in Cam Newton as a lot of media doomed us for a bad draft no matter who we took.

Edited by Jambalayah, 02 May 2011 - 05:50 AM.

#15 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:48 AM

Eh, I think C is a little low but I wouldn't get upset about it. I'd give us a solid B. The Wilson pick is as much boom or bust as Hogan. Wilson has talent, but he's too small. If he bulks up, he can be the next TD. The pick I like the least is Zack Williams. Pilares is another boom or bust guy. Either he'll amount to nothing and be another Ryne Robinson/Colbert/other young guys we drafted and cut a couple years later or he'll be the next coming of Wes Welker or even better, Smitty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.